• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat this weekend?

Edd

Man, it rained in snow country last Monday so I didn't go on Tuesday because it got cold overnight. I assumed it would be bulletproof up there. This is like a repeat of last week. Raining up there now and a high of 33 tomorrow. Dammit.

yeggous

Lynx very well may be bulletproof when they reopen. That trail has serious mood swings. Even with the new snowmaking system on Lynx last year, there were days where you would rather than skiing you were just looking for a spot -- any spot -- to make a turn and trying to hold on for the ride. If they don't resurface this week we could be in for some hurt for the holiday weekend. But when Lynx is sweet, it is oh so sweet. I'm hoping that snow on Wednesday saves the day!

MadMadWorld

Lynx very well may be bulletproof when they reopen. That trail has serious mood swings. Even with the new snowmaking system on Lynx last year, there were days where you would rather than skiing you were just looking for a spot -- any spot -- to make a turn and trying to hold on for the ride. If they don't resurface this week we could be in for some hurt for the holiday weekend. But when Lynx is sweet, it is oh so sweet. I'm hoping that snow on Wednesday saves the day!

The upper part of Lynx can be moody (along with every upper mountain trail at Wildcat). You want a moody trail, look no further than Upper Wildcat. That trail can get blown clean when every other trail is wall to wall with snow.

yeggous

They are blowing on Upper Catapult. They need more snow on Lower and Middle Polecat but lower mountain temperatures are too warm at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

They finished on Upper Catapult and moved to Lower Polecat to resurface.

All that's really left off the summit for major routes is Upper Wildcat and Liftlion. Unheard of to have the big 3 already all open off the top. I need to get there this year.

yeggous

Wildcat was a train wreck on Saturday. A billionty people (mostly families) totally destoyed Lynx by 11am. Temperatures were in the single digits so boilerplate was the dish of the day. This is the blowback of Attitash not being open. On Friday Polecat was reported to be sweet, but they ruined it with ungroomed snowmaking on Saturday which just forced everyone to Lynx.

Sunday (today) was much better. Crowds were non-existant as everyone was scared off from Sunday. Fortunately the snow was soft, Polecat was groomed, and the groomers repaired Lynx.

There are still some really thin spots on Middle Polecat and the S-turns of Lynx could use some more snow. Upper Catapult is pretty well burried under whales, and Cat Track is about half way covered. Interestingly there were guns out on lower sections of Top Cat and Lift Lion. I think there going to try to blow a couple interconnects between Upper Lynx and Upper Catapult.

Brad J

Wildcat was a train wreck on Saturday. A billionty people (mostly families) totally destoyed Lynx by 11am. Temperatures were in the single digits so boilerplate was the dish of the day. This is the blowback of Attitash not being open. On Friday Polecat was reported to be sweet, but they ruined it with ungroomed snowmaking on Saturday which just forced everyone to Lynx.

Sunday (today) was much better. Crowds were non-existant as everyone was scared off from Sunday. Fortunately the snow was soft, Polecat was groomed, and the groomers repaired Lynx

There are still some really thin spots on Middle Polecat and the S-turns of Lynx could use some more snow. Upper Catapult is pretty well burried under whales, and Cat Track is about half way covered. Interestingly there were guns out on lower sections of Top Cat and Lift Lion. I think there going to try to blow a couple interconnects between Upper Lynx and Upper Catapult.

Was there friday snow held up great, a lot of trails where skiable with some one else's skis, had heard race teams from Attitash were going there on Sat. which made my decision to go Friday. Please use your persuasion to get them to blow Gondi line top to bottom , that will take a lot of pressure both sides of mountain .

ThinkSnow

Skied Wildcat on Saturday, Dec 13. Most trails on skiers right were groomed, while the trails on skiers left were "NOT GROOMED" as many signs indicated. I was told this was because all the ungroomed trails had only natural snow on them, and there was not yet enough base to allow for grooming. Overall there was great coverage, but the ungroomed trails were exhausting (ie- big frozen mess). Nevertheless a good day was had.