• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski racks

603Skier

Does anybody know of a really good ski rack that can be slid into a hitch on the back of a car? What are the potential pluses and minuses?

KD7000

Thule and Yakima both make hitch ski racks. I'm pretty sure they are both add-ons to an existing bike hitch rack. Softride makes a cool one as well; also an add-on.

I wouldn't worry about getting rear-ended. I transport my bikes via hitch rack- I think that when there's a huge object on the back of the car, people probably pay more attention. Certainly with the bikes, there's more risk driving into something low-hanging or low clearance (like my own garage).

But the question is, with all the good roof mounted ski rack options out there, why do you need a hitch rack?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Does anybody know of a really good ski rack that can be slid into a hitch on the back of a car? What are the potential pluses and minuses?

Agree with Brad!

Alot of road salt ends up on the back of autos due to aerodynamics, if you put them on the back un covered youre going to kill your bindings , keep em covered either way.

603Skier

Thule and Yakima both make hitch ski racks. I'm pretty sure they are both add-ons to an existing bike hitch rack. Softride makes a cool one as well; also an add-on.

I wouldn't worry about getting rear-ended. I transport my bikes via hitch rack- I think that when there's a huge object on the back of the car, people probably pay more attention. Certainly with the bikes, there's more risk driving into something low-hanging or low clearance (like my own garage).

But the question is, with all the good roof mounted ski rack options out there, why do you need a hitch rack?

Agree with Brad!

Alot of road salt ends up on the back of autos due to aerodynamics, if you put them on the back un covered youre going to kill your bindings , keep em covered either way.

Just figured that every time I buy a car I have to customize the ski roof rack. Now, if I buy the hitch style all I have to do is put a small hitch from Uhaul or similar and no need to buy any more accessories for bikes, skis or the cargo carrier. Now getting them covered will be a must. I would think if someone rear ends the car that's an automatic brand new pair of skis either out of pocket or insurance it's all good in my book! And I will certainly have to keep them covered. Thanks for the info on the racks. I am going to look into those for sure.

Savemeasammy

We have a Thule box. It might be more money than you want to spend, but the versatility is a huge plus. We have 2 kids, so when we travel it is nice to have the extra cargo capacity. It is money well spent for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HowieT2

I have a hitch rack that goes on a Thule bike rack. I don't use it anymore, so you can have it. I wouldn't recomend it because of the salt and dirt issues. Skis should be on the roof.

603Skier

Thanks for the input. I will certainly think this over really good before purchasing. Thanks for the offer on the Thule as well. We will consider a roof box as suggested. Seems to make sense. Really don't want to spend the money though. So that may weigh before deciding. All I know is all I want to do is ski ski ski!!

SIKSKIER

As far as getting rear ended,how often has that happened to you?Almost never.The only way I would carry mine on a hitch mount rack would be fully covered.Look at your car after a crappy ride and see where the worst salt/dirt ends up.Yup,right there.

dlague

I used to road bike in the winter during lunch at work. My bike would get super salty - those racks can be messy on heavy salt/slush days.

mikec142

I would go with a roof rack. There are a couple of issues:

1. Salt and Grime
2. Can't open the rear door/lift/hatch
3. Better options for roof racks

As an aside, I'd definitely go with a reputable third party manufacturer like Thule. I have a 2006 Volvo XC90 and a few years back I cheaped out and bought the Volvo cross bars and roof rack in order to save about $100. They look and function exactly like the Thule version which I'm happy about. Problem is that I'm willing to bet that the crossbars won't attach to anything other than a Volvo so when I'm ready for a new car I have to add the cost of the cross bars and ski rack in because the Volvo ones will most likely be useless. Wish I would have stepped up and bought the Thule.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I had a custom rack installed on my wife's Ford Edge from rackattack in Framingham, MA. They did a great job. It has a full roof moonroof and they had to drill in a special roof mounted rail for the rack to attach to. it looks awesome, almost like it was designed that way. I was really nervous since the whole roof is glass. but 2 years and tons of stuff on the roof and so far no issues.