• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

21 and Older Pubs at Ski Areas During the Day?

JimG.

Staff member
You are a moderator - does it really matter? No fights in this thread, just pure discussion.

I guess. Although it did get a little heated regarding the corkage fees.

Perhaps better placed in the miscellaneous discussions thread.

C-Rex

Is this really important?

I think I'd rather drink with the kids than beat this dead horse.

Ya know, the more I think about it, you're right. It's just that I'd really like to be able to rant about how Santa and the Easter Bunny don't exist without ruining some kid's childhood, but I guess I could save it for a more age appropriate venue. :grin:

xwhaler

Ok, so I have some recent knowledge to share on this topic.
Was at Cannon on Saturday and walked into the pub with my 2 yr old son about 1:30. Told the hostess that I "knew the drill, be out by 2:30" with my son.
She smiled and said not to worry as they were not enforcing that rule today. So to me it is not any type of state law as much as they simply want to maximize their revenue from alcohol/food sales.
It was very quiet at Cannon on Saturday so if they had enforced it they would have lost business....saw some other kids in there.

Puck it

Was at Cannon on Saturday and walked into the pub with my 2 yr old son about 1:30. Told the hostess that I "knew the drill, be out by 2:30" with my son.
She smiled and said not to worry as they were not enforcing that rule today. So to me it is not any type of state law as much as they simply want to maximize their revenue from alcohol/food sales.
It was very quiet at Cannon on Saturday so if they had enforced it they would have lost business....saw some other kids in there.

makes sense

Riverskier

I have never been to Cannon's pub, but if it is anything like the Foggy Goggle at Sunday River, or the pub at Saddleback, then this makes no sense to me. Yeah they are bars, but also popular family dining restaurants. I can only imagine that either one would see a huge drop in revenue if family's were not allowed to dine there. Generally speaking I have no problem with kids in pubs (except for seedy ones that don't even sell food, night clubs, etc.) but my only gripe is places that allow kids to sit at the bar itself. Families and adult drinkers can peacefully co-exist at most pubs, but the bar itself should be left for adult drinkers.

dlague

Based on the weather that day - yes if enforced they would have lost. So that rule is like the weather if you do not like it in a given Saturday wait for the next - it might change.

JimG.

Staff member
Based on the weather that day - yes if enforced they would have lost. So that rule is like the weather if you do not like it in a given Saturday wait for the next - it might change.

Which is kind of stupid and insulting at the same time.

HD333

If the pubs around Okemo didn't allow kids I would save a lot of $$$.

Kids in après ski bars is fine with me, even if I am not with my kids. It is usually a pretty chill atmosphere. I want my kids exposed to that, I don't want them to live a sheltered life and then go bananas when they finally start drinking.
I guess an establishment has the right to say no kids, but ultimately if a place is ok for kids or not should be up to the parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

I think this is ironic (Events at Cannon):

So family fun night is - parents are in the bar and the kids are sent off doing their own stuff - that is not family IMO.

Family Fun Night - Every Saturday starting January 4th
3:00-6:00 Apres w/ live music & promos in the Cannonball Pub, 21+
4:30-6:00 Movie for Kids in the Brookside Lodge
4:30-6:30 Huckerbrook open under the lights for $5
4:00-5:30 Rockstar Teen Game Zone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Many resorts do this. Your teenage son wants to hang out with other teenagers more than mom and dad.

JimG.

Staff member
Alot of parents don't want to leave their 5-12 year olds at the movies while they drink.

I'm not a Cannon expert. Been there twice. But I recall the lodge/bar being woefully overcrowded and hot, so much so that my kids who were 11 and 9 at the time just wanted to get out of there. Sounds like Cannon needs to invest in some more lodge/food infrastructure.

Cannonball

I think this is ironic (Events at Cannon):

So family fun night is - parents are in the bar and the kids are sent off doing their own stuff - that is not family IMO.

Family Fun Night - Every Saturday starting January 4th
3:00-6:00 Apres w/ live music & promos in the Cannonball Pub, 21+
4:30-6:00 Movie for Kids in the Brookside Lodge
4:30-6:30 Huckerbrook open under the lights for $5
4:00-5:30 Rockstar Teen Game Zone

I agree this is total crap. It's not fair that I'm not allowed in the movie or the Rockstar Game Zone! Friggin kids get everything,

Puck it

This is an awesome saying. I think I will add It to my profile!

My drinking has gone up too with both being adults and living at home. One done with college and saving money to move out and the still in and commuting. And plus boyfriend and girlfriend.