• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best in MA

canobie#1

Whats the best place in MA? Anyones you think are underdogs or just flat out suck?

Tin

Provincetown. It has Bear Weekend, I hear it is a little different than the Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge though.... :daffy:

Savemeasammy

I have family that is from Essex. That is a great area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Never been, but I've only heard great things about Berkshire East. I was supposed to go a couple years back but their wasn't much snow. Hopefully I make it their this year.

Jiminy Peak, despite the hate that it gets on this board is really good. Not steep by VT standards, but one of the steepest places in MA. Sucky thing is that they groom everything to death. When I say no moguls, I mean 0 moguls. There's some off the map trees where, on a snowy Saturday two years ago, I lapped em for 2 hours and my tracks were the only tracks. Not another sole off-trail. You can really pile on the vert, too. Up and down in ten minutes using the six pack. You can easily hit 40,000 vertical feet in an 8 hour day. Very "resorty" feel with the village and slopeside condos. You pay for it too. The place ain't cheap and there aren't many deals, but if you can catch a E-coupon day (http://www.jiminypeak.com/e-coupons) it's cheap. There's also a 2-for-1 in the NY Entertainment book, I do believe. I usually go 2-3 days a year.

Catamount is slowly building a rep on this board and out in the "real world". 1,000 vertical feet of varied terrain on a ridge. Catapult is steep and pretty challenging when they let it bump up. There's always moguls on Off Stage and Glade. Narrow trails and wide trails. Ridge is fun when you full-throttle it. On weekends, the triple and mid-mountain double get mobbed, but the summit quad and summit double have a 5 minute wait or less. Base lodge and parking are usually full by 11am on Saturdays. Despite what I'm writing, the main mountain remains uncrowded. $25 midweek tix. Expensive on the weekends, but theres $50 weekend tickets if you're a ski club member.

I went to Bousquet once. AWESOME "classic" trails. New England style chutes. Limited snowmaking, limited grooming, nice old double chair.

And no matter what they tell you... do not go to Butternut. Boring terrain, slow lifts, crowded trails, long lines. The terrain by the triple is nice, but that's where the on-mountain pros stop. I only go early season and late season because they'll cover half the mountain for opening weekend and close 100% open for closing day. $25 midweek tickets is a deal, anytime $25 tickets starting mid-March is a steal.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Whats the best place in MA? Anyones you think are underdogs or just flat out suck?
IMO, hands down, Berkshire East.
It's got the best steeps, usually some pretty decent moguls, pretty good snowmaking and lift system. If you're there with lower level skiers, it has a nice beginner area and good intermediate runs.

And last but not least, it has the shortest lift lines.

medfordmike

Another vote for Berkshire East. It is like a shorter version of Pico and in my book I consider that a good thing. The owners have really invested a lot of money over the last five years or so. Good terrain, short lines, and a nice bar in the expanded lodge. I don't hate Wachusett. The crowds can make it miserable but if you are there midweek for a half day morning it is more enjoyable than people give it credit for. That being said Berkshire for me at least is better in almost every regard but distance from Boston.

darent

Nantucket , you have to ski Alter rock. doesn't get snow every year but when we get pounded by a ocean storm that 800 feet of vert is double black scary!!!

The Sneak

Berkshire East, hands down....as long as there's good snow anyway.

Jiminy is like a half size Stratton or Okemo. Surprisingly expansive and expensive.

Wachusset does not compare well to either IMHO. It's terrain has little character and the crowds are brutal...yet I've been a pass holder for years. It's great for early season laps and night skiing. It's not terrible, but BEast and Jiminy are actually pretty credible even compared to smaller places up north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
The original BEast of the east. Best trail layout, terrain and lack of crowds. I grew up skiing there and Magic.

Jiminy blows an impressive amount of snow for early and late season skiing but IMHO has boring terrain with trails cut down the fall line. None truly follow the contours of the mountain which make for more interesting skiing. It does have a good pitch for MA and tries to be the Stratton of MA.

Catamount has fun terrain but can get crowded on weekends especially on the triple side which is where the beginner/easy intermediate terrain is located.

I found Butternut flat, boring and crowded. It would be good for beginners and is the mountain closest to a town, Great Barrington, which can be a good option for non skiers in your group.