• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Weekend of 12/6 & 7

Puck it

Logistics - where exactly is the Zoomer Bar located?

attachment.php

Go past the Tram lot and follow the road to the Park HQ. Park along side of road.

xwhaler

Looks like Cannon is extending their Early Season $39 tickets through tomorrow. Combine that with the canned food donation for the 50% off and its a real nice value.
My only concern is the drive up in the AM....looks like a nasty mix of snow/sleet/freezing rain....with my wife and son in town I may opt for someplace closer like Crotched or Ragged. But haven't made up my mind yet.

Puck it

Looks like Cannon is extending their Early Season $39 tickets through tomorrow. Combine that with the canned food donation for the 50% off and its a real nice value.
My only concern is the drive up in the AM....looks like a nasty mix of snow/sleet/freezing rain....with my wife and son in town I may opt for someplace closer like Crotched or Ragged. But haven't made up my mind yet.
Go Sunday

Cannonball

Forecast looks pretty identical to the last time we skied together. Cold, wet, and windy. Bring those rubber gloves if you come!

Cannonball

Not sure if this should go here or the Trip Reports section. But it wasn't much of a "trip" and the point is more to provide a conditions update since it seems like a lot of people are considering Cannon this weekend.

I had a busy work day so didn't get over there until 1:30. By then the place was completely dead. Maybe 10 people in the lodge/bar combined. And less than 30-40 people on the hill. Temp was ~23 with moderate winds. I'm not sure what they were claiming for trail count, but I skied every open route. Which were these (note Zoomer run was closed, the tracks are the chairlift ride).....

attachment.php

This is why Zoomer was closed (sorry this rotation thing is getting annoying)...

attachment.php

Everything was very firm, but there was always something edgeable to find. Snowmaking was ongoing sporadically. I'm not sure what the targets are right now. It seemed like mostly strategic trail intersections rather than whole trails. Slight shifts in the way tomorrow's weather plays out will make an enormous difference for the good or the bad. Some snow could quickly re-open and refresh a lot of terrain. Anything else could be a real killer.

Attachments

• Cannon Dec 5 2014.jpg
    Cannon Dec 5 2014.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 71
  • NCM_0624.jpg
    NCM_0624.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hope all have fun on Sunday. Have a change of plans and will be at BW that day. I've got some cheap tix to burn there and I'm meeting up with Dana.

Cannonball

I got through the Notch at 8:15 this morning in moderate mixed precip. At 8:45 a tractor-trailer jackknifed causing a complete closure of 93N until 11am. Between the soggy conditions and the inability of anybody to get there the place was a ghost town. Peabody chair at 10:40am....

attachment.php

Xwhaler got to experience the whole traffic situation.:thumbdown:

Attachments

• NCM_0635.jpg
    NCM_0635.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 68

xwhaler

Left house at 8 for an expected 9:35 Peabody arrival with Cannonball. Drive up to 34A was smooth sailing and we were excited for turns as it went from rain to snow about Thornton.
All was well until 1 mile from tram and came to a complete stop for nearly 90 mins. Frustrating having no cell service and no idea how long we would be stopped.
Thought the day was shot to be honest.
Finally got moving and found some heavy wet snow at Cannon. Did a few Zoomer laps, Rocket skiers left was particularly good. Few laps on Peabody before my wife headed out. They were not enforcing the 21+ rule today and we enjoyed a nice lunch in the Cannonball Pub with my little guy. Clearly a business decision vs a state law as if its a quiet day the rule doesnt apply.
Interesting day but a good one....with our canned goods donation we skied for $24.50. My son had fun in front of the lodge on the lucky bums skis on loan from Catsup948!

Last edited: