• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When Will Ski Sundown Open?

Savemeasammy

The internet hasn't been very exciting this summer without a sundown thread going...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

Ski Sundown will open when Satan says it will open.

So I heard this rumor from some out-of-state guy that the Stairway might be a groomer this year due to lack of skier traffic last year. They might not even blow snow on it. Or so I've heard....

VTKilarney

So I heard this rumor from some out-of-state guy that the Stairway might be a groomer this year due to lack of skier traffic last year. They might not even blow snow on it. Or so I've heard....

The reports I read said that it was slick as hell. I wonder if that had something to do with its lack of popularity.

But where will they get a winch-cat? :)

vonski

With all of Conneticut's blue laws, will it be legal to ski Satan's Stairway on Sunday's?

CT blue laws are gone. We now get booze until 10 M-SAT. and Sundays til 6 and all holidays too!. We support alcoholism quite well as an alcoholic cant budget his booze but he can budget his money so he can buy his booze!.

vonski

Jarrod. we need some answers. In my opinion they tried to build up to much snow all at once. If they put down some snow let it get skied in then make some when it only really cold so it is lighter on top of some bumps that have skied in then it won't be a slab that can't get skied in. Also no grooming after the initial base if at all. Manage the guns so Its not huge piles and the trail could work. I remember that the site said that they were blowing snow in some marginal temps last year. So only do it when it is Low 20s or less. Just my food for thought!

skiur

Jarrod. we need some answers. In my opinion they tried to build up to much snow all at once. If they put down some snow let it get skied in then make some when it only really cold so it is lighter on top of some bumps that have skied in then it won't be a slab that can't get skied in. Also no grooming after the initial base if at all. Manage the guns so Its not huge piles and the trail could work. I remember that the site said that they were blowing snow in some marginal temps last year. So only do it when it is Low 20s or less. Just my food for thought!

Sometimes grooming is a neccesary evil. When its 50 and raining one day then drops down to 10 that night the trail will not open without grooming or a lot of snow.

vonski

Sometimes grooming is a neccesary evil. When its 50 and raining one day then drops down to 10 that night the trail will not open without grooming or a lot of snow.
Yes but grooming that steep just makes a slab. If they were just to wait until cold temps came again and did a night of snowmaking on it again it would ski in. If you manage it like a natural snow trail like for instance at Sugarbush who also gets it freeze thaws, the trail just needs to be skied back in. So, make less snow initially, but continuously over the season to keep it going!

Hawkshot99

Yes but grooming that steep just makes a slab. If they were just to wait until cold temps came again and did a night of snowmaking on it again it would ski in. If you manage it like a natural snow trail like for instance at Sugarbush who also gets it freeze thaws, the trail just needs to be skied back in. So, make less snow initially, but continuously over the season to keep it going!

The problem is that you are comparing Northern VT weather to CT. CT has way more warm weather and rain than the North.

vonski

The problem is that you are comparing Northern VT weather to CT. CT has way more warm weather and rain than the North.
I realize that, but what they did last year did not work and it was a good snow year to boot. Its not a normal trail. It just can't have a 4 foot base blown on it and expect it to bump up. I just think that incremental snow making it would have a better chance of keeping it softer!

Domeskier

They need to seed it and host an AZ mini-summit to let us stomp it in properly. Last skier standing has to write the trip report.

MadMadWorld

I don't think problem is the weather. Snow just doesn't hold well on 60 degree slopes whether it's natural or not!

Savemeasammy

I got the impression that the discontent was with the fact that SS wasn't seeded.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app