• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When Will Ski Sundown Open?

o3jeff

Hiked Satan's Staircase recently. Pretty radical.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5037855402_9212660855.jpg
    5037855402_9212660855.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 217

VTKilarney

The thing that bugs me about photos of Satan's Staircase, like the one above, is that the trail always looks flatter in photos than in real life.

C-Rex

I heard they are currently training the ski patrol in avalanche blasting techniques. And they are going to use the snow from the debris field to build a halfpipe.

gmcunni

i heard they have the snow but are closed to the public while the Warren Miller crew films their next extreme skiing movie. i believe the working title is "Stairway to Heaven" with a yet to be announced official reunion of Led Zeppelin performing on the deck.

Tin

Just saw this on their FB, newest aerial shot...
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sundown.jpg
    Sundown.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 200

powhunter

The town of New Hartford is feverishy planning improvements to the infrastructure in the Ski Sundown area in anticipation of the potential 100k additional skier visits Satans Stairway could generate

Sources say plans for a 600 room hotel and conference center are in the works as well as the hiring of 2 full time constables to catch unwary New Yorkers speeding down the access road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o3jeff

The town of New Hartford is feverishy planning improvements to the infrastructure in the Ski Sundown area in anticipation of the potential 100k additional skier visits Satans Stairway could generate

Sources say plans for a 600 room hotel and conference center are in the works as well as the hiring of 2 full time constables to catch unwary New Yorkers speeding down the access road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't there talks of an interconnect with Killington?

Hawkshot99

You guys are going to be so disappointed, when you actually get to ski this trail. Has there ever been so much hype for a CT trail?

Highway Star

You guys are going to be so disappointed, when you actually get to ski this trail. Has there ever been so much hype for a CT trail?

Nah............see this pic? These guys are standing funny because they both just messed their pants.

1360165_orig.jpg

Last edited:

Grassi21

The more things change the more they stay the same. Thanks for the banter today boys.

I did hear the staircase has a small section (maybe 3.5% of the whole trail) that technically qualifies as a triple fall line. Is that a high enough percentage to qualify it as a triple black diamond? Is there an industry standard for such classifications?

Madroch

Can't wait to capture some fresh triple black staircase footie to post here.

Madroch

They've announced on facebook that they are not going to open for general skiing this year. They will open for snowtubing and have a single ski slope open for race teams. They will be more focused on summer activities going forward. Sorry guys.

Ski Sundown on Facebook

Smart to start focusing your business model around global warming...sundown blazing trails again...but even if they shut the lifts down, we can earn turns on the staircase deep into spring

MadMadWorld

Thanks. I heard that with the elevation and location of the new trail that it gets more natural snowfall than the rest of the mountain, can you confirm that?

It gets more snow but it doesn't hold it very well because of the gnar

thetrailboss

Staff member
The more things change the more they stay the same. Thanks for the banter today boys.

I did hear the staircase has a small section (maybe 3.5% of the whole trail) that technically qualifies as a triple fall line. Is that a high enough percentage to qualify it as a triple black diamond? Is there an industry standard for such classifications?

Triple fall line? What does that look like?

Jokes aside, it feeds the need. Over the years these folks have made lots of AZer's happy. Nothing wrong with that. Signed by the guy who grew up skiing at a 450 vertical foot hill with a T-Bar and spent two seasons at Pats Peak.

WoodCore

Arriving flights into nearby Bradley International have been diverted to allow the Avalanche control guns to operate. Rumor has it that these new Avi-guns are actually the 16" guns from a retired USN Battleship. The extra firepower was needed to control the extremely unstable snowpack on the staircase.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app