• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

witch hobble

Sort of exciting. Good to see some commitment and $ being laid out. Great facebook updates over the past few weeks.

skiNEwhere

Looks like they got the Hornet up and running for a test run on their facebook page.

I am really excited to see how well it is coming along!

I think the last time I skied there was in the last 90's with the Boy Scouts

I'm amazed that they've gotten that thing running. I think it's over 40 years old and with it sitting idle for so long, I would almost think it would need costly repairs like a new haul rope. Let's hope it passes inspection.

dlague

I think the last time I skied there was in the last 90's with the Boy Scouts

I'm amazed that they've gotten that thing running. I think it's over 40 years old and with it sitting idle for so long, I would almost think it would need costly repairs like a new haul rope. Let's hope it passes inspection.

On FB May 27th

Well, this week was another major milestone - all the lift ropes / cables passed on all systems - the triple needs to be shorten by 8ft - however it still passed.

dlague

I am going to meet with the owner next week. He wants to my perspective on ideas. I have a few. Jeff from RSNE wants me to talk about a tour stop there.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Jeff from RSNE wants me to talk about a tour stop there.
The Ride and Ski card for Dartmouth? I think it's too soon for that because all the infrastructure won't be fully in place this season - they'll still be building. I think you gotta give it time.

But I do think Plymouth is would be a great place to grow ski culture. Maybe a movie screening or a ski swap event to bring some people out to see the place again?

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
As a former pass holder there, I'd wait a year to see how the snowmaking is before bringing a RSNE tour stop there. It was basically natural snow only that year. (2nd to last they were open). They obviously need support and business the first year back, but until you see what they got and how they operate that's a real gamble.

dlague

As a former pass holder there, I'd wait a year to see how the snowmaking is before bringing a RSNE tour stop there. It was basically natural snow only that year. (2nd to last they were open). They obviously need support and business the first year back, but until you see what they got and how they operate that's a real gamble.

I get that and it is a good point. I think it would more than likely be a secondary stop like on a Sunday. Not really sure how RSNE will implement it, if they do. But I also know RSNE is looking to change the line up a bit outside of Tenney. Last year they tried to get a Weekend deal at Pico/Killington. There are a couple others as well so we will see how it unfolds. He really does not start visits and calls until late July/early August.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sunday would be great for Tenney.

Bringing Cannon on board and having it be a tour stop would top my list!!! Outside of late season twofers, FOX44 and Super Bowl Sunday deal, it's near impossible to get a good weekend deal at Cannon.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am going to meet with the owner next week. He wants to my perspective on ideas. I have a few. Jeff from RSNE wants me to talk about a tour stop there.

I agree with DHS that the key question is snowmaking. What are they planning to do? Do they know what to do?

Newpylong

Didn't they say on FB that Lenko designed and sold them a system? Whaleback had Lenko knocking on their door when they were RFPing last year - they are not the best at designing systems. I hope they invest in air/water as well as those fans in the parking lot. Tenney has a lot of terrain that is not conducive to fan gun coverage.

If the on mountain piping can be salvaged at all that will be a big cost savings.

deadheadskier

Staff member
indeed

They have a lot of narrower trails where ground air/water guns make more sense. One benefit is that their trails are not all that rocky. If they put that hedge trimming machine to good use, it doesn't take a ton of snow to open much of their terrain.

vermonter44

They are killing it with PR on Facebook, even if it is just cellphone videos.

They are even replying to nearly every comment on their posts. Refreshing to see as compared to some other recent resort GM's ....*cough* Q junior *cough*

Jully

indeed

They have a lot of narrower trails where ground air/water guns make more sense. One benefit is that their trails are not all that rocky. If they put that hedge trimming machine to good use, it doesn't take a ton of snow to open much of their terrain.

From the responses on Facebook, it looks like they're most likely going to have to do a sort of soft opening this season. Sir Michael has said they will try and get as many trails open as possible, but I think he realizes the snowmaking capacity might not all be there. He's said at a minimum 7-8 trails I think though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think they are doing a good job telling it as it is. Hopefully undersell and over deliver.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

DoublePlanker

Its a refreshing change to see so many facebook posts. Not sure their expectations for this season. I had thought dumping ~$10 million into it was the bare minimum to resurrect with snowmaking and a HSQ at the top of the list. But perhaps this is a smarter way to go about resurrecting the place for long term financial viability.

I hope it succeeds.

Newpylong

I went through their updates thoroughly and they seem to be doing it right if you ask me - incremental upgrades.

Start with the low hanging fruit - fix snow making inefficiencies and get the existing lifts running and see where it goes. I wouldn't dump money into a HSQ until you've seen how much interest there is. 7-8 trails actually sounds like a really good amount if the snowmaking system is really antiquated.

Would love to get over there this winter to check it out.