• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think I've never ridden West Mountain. Is the 24 minutes an honest timing or an exaggeration? That length of time would stand out to me. I guess it's possible. I think the Attitash Summit lift is like 16 minutes for 6200 feet and while slow, it's conceivable a chair could be 40% slower like West is apparently.

I believe I timed the Hornet at Tenney around 16 minutes also. I know I could get in 3 runs an hour off the thing, but not more than that. No way that place succeeds without either replacing that lift with something faster, or breaking it up into two lifts. I doubt a HSQ would ever make sense, but maybe something like this would:

vorkzl.jpg

The area above the end of the shortened Hornet lift is fairly flat and just ok. The area below, especially Snap Dragon and parts of the lift line are great fun. Adding the Upper Mountain lift I did would allow you to lap the Sweet William area of the hill without the long run out or super long lift ride back up to the top.

I enjoyed Tenney the one season I had a pass there. Lots of character trails. Not a ton of pitch, but a fun little mountain. I think it was 7 years ago now. $99. I only skied there half dozen or so times after a storm. Loved the lodge there too. I assume much of the glades have grown in by now, but they had some pretty sweet low angle trees. Here's a picture from years ago:

skiMEbike

I don't think I've never ridden West Mountain. Is the 24 minutes an honest timing or an exaggeration? That length of time would stand out to me. I guess it's possible.

Upon further review of the Garmin track...I calculate 20 mins & 20 seconds (My original 24 mins had over 3 mins of time waiting for the chair).

DoublePlanker

Plymouth State negotiates a very nice deal with ski area(s) for passes for their students. I think this year is Cannon. I believe its a very good deal. That likely dictates where they ski.

I was wrong. Plymouth State negotiated a deal with Waterville Valley this year. A valid student ID will receive a $7 lift ticket from Waterville. A lot of students opt for a college pass offered by NH ski areas which includes like 5 mountains.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was wrong. Plymouth State negotiated a deal with Waterville Valley this year. A valid student ID will receive a $7 lift ticket from Waterville. A lot of students opt for a college pass offered by NH ski areas which includes like 5 mountains.

WOW. That is a great deal. For students on a budget or with a tight schedule, this means going skiing for a great deal with no commitment. I'd say that is almost better than a season pass. Even at, say, $280 or so, one would have to ski 40 days to match that price.

Speaking as someone who had lots of student passes in undergrad and graduate school, and who sold these passes one season for Sugarbush, I can say that A LOT of students impulse buy without really thinking of what they are doing. When it comes time to ski, they usually are hungover, can't get their buddies to go, or just don't feel like it. And when they do go they go midweek and for a few hours at a time. They are usually lucky if they ski five days in a season let alone break even.

Obviously there are exceptions, me being one. My last year of Grad School I pulled my best grades and skied 66 days on two season passes (Burke and Sugarbush). Damn I miss that season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When I was a pass holder at Tenney, I assumed a lot of PSU students skied there. I found out few to none did. At the time PSU students were skiing Cannon for $5 a day

4aprice

Correct, PSU deal is with Waterville this year. Bought my son the NH4 College Pass ($319) with Cranmore, Bretton, Waterville and Cannon. Texted me he was enjoying Waterville this morning. If Tenney were to reopen I would highly recommend to their management to get in on that pass.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

If you think about it, this WV deal would KILL Tenney. They could not even remotely compete with that sort of deal. And Tenney is in PSU's backyard.

I think I would have to take long lunch breaks every now and then - I literally work five minutes from there.

witch hobble

Was it being inspected for potential operation or for sale? Hopefully the former. How much of a market is there for a 6,000 foot double chair, anyway?

Don't know. If I were buying a house with a bunch of old cars in the yard, I would want to know if they could be started up and driven, even if I didn't plan on using them. Due diligence and what not.

Hornet lift ride was 13 minutes without a stop.

IMO the bigger priority, operations wise, is snowmaking and trail maintenance. I'd rather have a long, slow ride to snow covered trails than a high speed ride to grass and pucker brush.

DoublePlanker

I maybe mistaken, but I think PSU employees get the same deal as the students

This is true. My wife is an employee. I can be her guest for something real cheap. We went to Cannon last year on a Saturday and it was like $5 for her and $15 or $20 for me.

The students can arrange their schedules so they only have class 2 days a week. That leaves 5 for skiing. What a life!

deadheadskier

Staff member
That was my life as a student at UVM. Classes on Tuesday & Thursday, ski the rest at Stowe.

DoublePlanker

Yeah, I missed out on skiing in college and post-college. I remember meeting some young guys in Aspen who were like 21. They slept like 15 in a house. They skied every single day in Aspen ski company. They had to work parking cars in the AM and handing out cookies at the end of the day. Met them on Hanging Valley Wall, the ski bus back to Aspen, and the cookie line. Still jealous I did not do something like that.