• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was unaware Sweet William was cut as a lift line. My thought on where I put the lift was just to have it centralized so that easy to get to both sides of the hill off it. I recognize that by shortening the Hornet you wouldn't be able to lap Forget Me Not > Snap Dragon off of one chair. I just looked at the two lifts as perhaps a less expensive solution to what most people's big complaint was about Tenney; the long ass ride up the Hornet.

Tin

Max by code is 500 fpm for a double, 475 for a triple, and 450 for a quad. Some ski areas have variances if they have a conveyor, but none run any faster than 600 fpm. You need to add lots of sensors at that speed. That's why Ascutney's HSQ never ran faster than 600 fpm.

Does this vary from state to state? Berkshire East's Diamond Express was a fixed grip double that ran between 550-600 fps

Savemeasammy

Judging by the map, it looks like Tenney shut down before the proliferation of double black terrain at most of the resorts ;)

I only skied Tenney once back in the day. Nothing about it stood out to me, and I don't really remember anything about it... It's location seems like it would be ideal for the Mass day trip market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiNEwhere

I skied Tenney with the boys scouts a few times as a kid. I remember liking it, I don't think I was a very advanced skier at the time but I still had fun.

I looked up the mountain on Google maps though and switched to terrain view, it does not look like there is anything even remotely steep anywhere on the mountain.

Like it's been said might be good for the mass market, but first the hornet double would have to go. Weekend skiers would not put up with that lift. I can't even imagine it would pass inspection anymore, those towers have got to be pretty rusted and/or concrete footings pretty weak.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

I looked up the mountain on Google maps though and switched to terrain view, it does not look like there is anything even remotely steep anywhere on the mountain.

The best steep was under the lift near the bottom and there were a few good spots to the left (looking up). Sam Hall wanted to expand and cut a lift line. When I asked him why he did that without a lift, he explained, it was the last year he would be able to cut the trail without permitting. But Sam never did anything on credit. He sold Tenney before he ever built the lift and no succeeding owner ever had the deep pockets to put in the lift (and snowmaking infrastructure). I think that new area might have had some good glades potential but looked mostly like good cruising terrain.

dusty

I actually own John French's old cabin near the lodge at Tenney, heard from a reliable source the mountain will be open for skiing next winter. Quit giving me heart attacks with this only bought for access to the summit business ;)

4aprice

I actually own John French's old cabin near the lodge at Tenney, heard from a reliable source the mountain will be open for skiing next winter. Quit giving me heart attacks with this only bought for access to the summit business ;)

Hope your right Dusty. Long live SKI 93.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

VTKilarney

I've always wanted to see Tenney make a comeback, so I've got my fingers crossed.

They would probably be a lot better off if they were about 30 miles farther south, but what can you do.

dusty

Hope I am right too. :) I never had a chance to ski Tenney, well I did, but when I was at PSU everyone always voted Cannon.. :p If anyone has anymore info let us know! I saw in the town minutes plans for a hotel, lazy river, new lifts, trails, lake being dug for water at the top for snowmaking, etc all sorts of neat stuff but don't want to get my hopes up too high.

For the curious:

http://www.plymouth-nh.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/March_24-2014_minutes.docx (Visitors heading)

http://www.pvwsd.com/PVWSD/MEETING_MINUTES_files/jan142014meeting.pdf

SNOWMAN103

Tenny Reopening shhhhhhh lmfao

As someone really reALLY close to the project tenny is gonna reopen with huge new investment by new owners.:smash:

uphill

1) A huge investment from new owners is a given if it reopens.
2) Maybe I am a skeptic, but I worry that it won't happen. I'm not getting my hopes up unless SNOWMAN103 can either prove he doesn't own a condo at the base (or other ulterior motives) or site his source.
3) How would the common skier show their support?

deadheadskier

Staff member
If Tenney put in a decent lift and expanded snowmaking and offered an affordable product, I'd go.

Biggest thing for me is that they don't ruin the trails by widening them. Then, they just become Gunstock 2.0. Not that all the trails at Gunstock are characterless, but Tenney has numerous narrower trails that I enjoy. I'd hate to see them turned into wide boulevards.

xwhaler

I'm very skeptical of this as well. My reasons:
-Terrain is largely boring as folks have mentioned. Flat at top and steeper at bottom...inverted from how the topography of most mtns is oriented.
-Build out of Loon/Ragged/Sunapee etc---not sure why the common day tripper would give up another mtn for Tenney?
-Lot of infrastructure needed...a HSQ is probably a must---no one will deal with the slow chair for the type of terrain they offer IMHO.

Who is target market? (Possible Solutions)
-Community hill for Plymouth/PSU. Maybe get the triple up and running and not worry about the double to the summit? Akin to how Big Squaw in ME is doing things? Focus on night skiing/afternoon operations....install tubing hill?

The above could possibly work but they definitely have their work cut out for them.

4aprice

The biggest allure of Tenney, to me is the fact that it was part of the original Ski 93 complex and with Mittersill reopened it is possible to ski all of the original Ski 93. (maybe even Snows Mt @ WV). Other then that it is very similar in size to Gunstock, Ragged and Sunapee, except its closer to the bigger areas. I would suggest that new ownership at Tenney try to get with White Mountain Super Pass group and try and drive some of that business there. Don't get me wrong, I have skied Tenney before, enjoyed it and would love to ski it again, but to just stand on its own is going to be difficult.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mbedle

4aprice - you can ski Snow's Mt on February 27th - it will be open for one day. As far as Tenney goes, I can't see any other reason why a private group would purchase the property but to operate a ski resort.