• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump. They are posting more videos of maintenance work. I understand that they have at least one issue they have to resolve before they can operate, but they will have very little credibility if this continues.........

In the meantime, this is for sale on eBay from 1992:

s-l1600.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
They definitely over promised and it hurt them. Hopefully next year works out.

From what I understand, it is a former investor/partner that is the big problem. It's too bad. Hope that it gets settled. Michael captured the attention of a lot of people and the industry.

MG Skier

Lets hope he can push through the legal stuff...especially with all of the lift work/pipe work that has been done. A journey still awaits them!!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
They definitely over promised and it hurt them. Hopefully next year works out.
How is that exactly? My understanding is they NEVER PROMISED to open. It's always been a possible "soft" opening. Keep in mind too, that the ski area is really second in his consideration. Sir Mike is more interested in developing mineral rights and a conference center than he is in skiing. The only reason he's developing the ski area is in consideration to the local population.

Personally I don't care how slow he moves. Slow growth is better than opening too soon without consideration to the myriad details of running a business - let alone a ski area. Cut Mike some slack. He's got enough on his plate.

dlague

From what I understand, it is a former investor/partner that is the big problem. It's too bad. Hope that it gets settled. Michael captured the attention of a lot of people and the industry.

We are now repeating the same story over again Post #411

deadheadskier

Staff member
How is that exactly? My understanding is they NEVER PROMISED to open. It's always been a possible "soft" opening. Keep in mind too, that the ski area is really second in his consideration. Sir Mike is more interested in developing mineral rights and a conference center than he is in skiing. The only reason he's developing the ski area is in consideration to the local population.

Personally I don't care how slow he moves. Slow growth is better than opening too soon without consideration to the myriad details of running a business - let alone a ski area. Cut Mike some slack. He's got enough on his plate.

I think his work and social media presence did the talking though. People saw all the brush work being done on the trails, the base lodge repairs, lift repair work and the snow making pipe repairs and testing. It really gave the impression that not only was Tenney coming back, but it might be coming back much better than where it left off. Low hurdle I know.

Here's a question. Are they hosting many conferences up there right now? You would think that with a conference center being part of the long term goal they'd try and utilize the base lodge facilities to start generating some awareness about the property. Or has the legal proceedings prevented that from happening?

I wonder what the annual tax bill is on the place as a dormant ski area.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think his work and social media presence did the talking though. People saw all the brush work being done on the trails, the base lodge repairs, lift repair work and the snow making pipe repairs and testing. It really gave the impression that not only was Tenney coming back, but it might be coming back much better than where it left off. Low hurdle I know.

Here's a question. Are they hosting many conferences up there right now? You would think that with a conference center being part of the long term goal they'd try and utilize the base lodge facilities to start generating some awareness about the property. Or has the legal proceedings prevented that from happening?

Exactly. I liked what he was doing, but he got everyone excited.

Jully

I'm a huge fan of Mike by all accounts. I'm fully aware of his motivations and the legal issues with his partner are certainly out of his control, a big shame. However, he managed to get an incredible amount of energy behind his movement and had captured EVERYONE's attention. From what I've observed, the following and attention he once received has waned a bit. The factors were out of his control though, which absolutely sucks. A lot of areas could use an owner/coordinator like him.

Jully

The conference idea is a good one. I'd bet there are legal issues right now though.

I've thought about the tax bill as well. I think it might be decently high. Not as high as it would be if you had revenue obviously, but not trivial by any accounts.

dlague

They have held some smaller events but I doubt any conferences. The conference center is supposed to be at the summit and he access road to it would come from the other side. That will be a challenge on its own. Even if the ski area becomes fully functional, the center at the summit is not intended for ski area access.

I honestly hope that this next season will be the one. I am sure he will push hard to make that happen.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I just question the viability of a mountain top conference center at that location unless it's really small and catering to a niche market. I'm assuming they plan on using the wind farm access road? I think they'll find the expense of running water and sewage lines up there to such a facility as cost prohibitive. I'm sure the views will be great and all, but they could probably just multi-purpose the base lodge for such business activities for a fraction of the cost.

Hopefully it works out for them.

podunk77

A few days ago on Tenney Mountain's facebook page, Mike posted a link to a Union Leader article about a guy, Keith Fitzgerald, who was just sentenced to prison for defrauding his father's estate. Mike made a comment to the effect of it being Karma, and when I read the newspaper article it appears Fitzgerald once had a significant role in the business of bringing Tenney back to life. Mike's being appropriately coy by not saying too much, but a logical inference would be that this is the person responsible for the delays in moving the project forward, and that his newly imposed jail sentence might lead to quicker mountain progress going forward. I have absolutely no personal knowledge of the situation -- just bringing it to people's attention if they want to check it out themselves.

Also, I have to side with previous posters.... I think Mike did an excellent job of UNDER-promising. I recall some people asking him about season passes the first winter the mountain was slated to be open. What a total PR disaster that would have been. Seems to me Mike's been pretty transparent all along, and if indeed a major obstacle has been removed via imprisonment, and if Plymouth State University is indeed interested in being a customer of the the newly opened mountain, I think "slow and steady" will be shown to have been the better choice.

Last edited: