• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

MEtoVTSkier

I doubt that they are going to open. Everything I see posted is great, but way behind time-wise. I like him and his transparency, but they don't have their act together. This will be the third season that they have missed.

I think you are going to end up being wrong. But, I agree, they don't have much experience to go on. Seem like they are the "learn by doing" type of crowd, with a slow methodical approach. Hey, even if they only get the lifts spinning for a couple months on whatever natural Nature provides, it's a net positive, and a good learning experience for them.

Hopefully some semblance of snowmaking for next fall...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think you are going to end up being wrong. But, I agree, they don't have much experience to go on. Seem like they are the "learn by doing" type of crowd, with a slow methodical approach. Hey, even if they only get the lifts spinning for a couple months on whatever natural Nature provides, it's a net positive, and a good learning experience for them.

Hopefully some semblance of snowmaking for next fall...

If they open this year, great. But this is the third year we have watched YouTube videos and waited. I want them to succeed.

MG Skier

Correct, snowmaking over in the tubing area.....its going to take time with one fan gun versus the 3 or 4 they had last year.

My understanding is that the water pipes are good going up the mountain (after watching many welding videos on face book.)....however, no compressor capability. He mentioned he was snow farming for this year.

And yes soft opening, they wont be ready for big crowds....I hope mother nature helps them out with some more snow!!! I plan on getting up there this season to ski a NELSAP hill. I hope they can make it happen, I have been pulling for them since they acquired the mountain.

My mom grew up nearby so I have been keeping an eye on progress.

Newpylong

The compressor capability is easily added short term with rentals and extending the header out onto the pad, but there were more critical issues last I spoke with them. No air hydrants anywhere on the mountain (all stolen for brass while they were closed). No snowmaking equipment on hill outside of a few home builts strapped to trees. There is no 480 for the fans anywhere but the base and platter area. All of their pumps are fixed diesels and are not EPA/DEP compliant as such. If you remember stationary diesels of a certain class required massive retrofits to be compliant since the early 2000s. We are talking emissions controls, containment pits, etc. So you're going to see some electric turbine pumps come in, compressors, and on hill equipment before ever seeing snow making on the main mountain.

MG Skier

It has been awhile since I spoke to Mike Last....could be almost 2 years on my last hike. I forgot about the hydrants missing! I knew about the Diesel concerns....I imagine a very significant investment to modernize that pump house to meet requirements. I thought Mike had some of that lined up?

SIKSKIER

Well that really is a surprise to me that there is no snowmaking yet.I figured with all the work that was done there including replacing sm pipe that some was ready.Pretty much impossible to open a ski area these days without it except in northern Vt.Even MRG struggles big time.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well that really is a surprise to me that there is no snowmaking yet.I figured with all the work that was done there including replacing sm pipe that some was ready.Pretty much impossible to open a ski area these days without it except in northern Vt.Even MRG struggles big time.

Considering the number of videos of snowmaking repair work that I have seen from them, this also came as a big surprise.

Gnarcissaro

Considering the number of videos of snowmaking repair work that I have seen from them, this also came as a big surprise.

Yes, thats why after hiking up to the turbines this November (Plymouth local,) I knew everything is a crock of shit up there. More than half the trails are covered in saplings, massive drainage issues on the trails and the work road to the summit is a disaster. Not a soul to be seen working on anything mid week.

I WAS approached by some seedy looking people in a old sedan looking for some dude just after dusk. After I wasn’t said person they drove across the parking lot and continued idling in their car with their lights off. They said they came to look at a car...AFTER DARK, riiiight. Probably looking to score heroin. Yea, Tenney on the up and up for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VTKilarney

Looking at the weather forecast, this may be the one and only weekend of the year.

ChicoKat

Facebook page says it is on this Thursday. Open for skiing during the upcoming storm. Wouldn't it be a gut punch to have to close on opening day due to a snow storm. Look forward to getting over there.

witch hobble

Bump for stoke.....I finally got out and rode the Hornet yesterday. Soft cruisy snow.

I’m glad they’ve been able to open and really am pulling for them, but yesterday didn’t feel too different than 2010: trails a bit overgrown, empty parking lot, maybe a dozen people out skiing. Vibe was definitely better. Here’s hoping they can keep building off this soft opening.

MG Skier

I was hoping for a snow day from the job but it fell on a day they were not open. (Went to Magic) I am sure people are skeptical without snowmaking and a solid base etc. I am sure there are some obstacles but I'd still like to ski them this season. Lets hope they continue to expand on what they opened this year and really get after it next year.

Smellytele

The only time I have skied there was in their last year when the Hornet was not even open and just the other chair that went 2/3 of the way up. I would like to try the top and the glades above the other chair.

skixc2

Was there on their first Saturday earlier this month (operating day #2 or #3 I think). It was wonderful, with deep snow everywhere. Only the trails they had brushed out were open (still some work to do there) but I was pleased with the 2/3 of the former mountain that were being offered. The Hornet really is quite slow, but the affordable tickets really make up for it. I loved skiing on all natural snow with no icy man-made base underneath. Such a treat.
I had never previously skied Tenney. (Though I've skied every other active ski hill in NH except for Campton and Veteran's Mem.) So I was excited to try it out and share the experience with my dad on that day. We had driven up there years ago - probably 1999 - planning to ski but decided to go to Waterville instead because Tenney looked so icy. I am very thankful that I finally got to complete that trip with my dad 19 years later.
I'm pulling for Tenney. I think getting open with all this natural snow this year will be a huge boost - you go guys!