• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney? Hello? Is this thing on?

witch hobble

Who is target market? (Possible Solutions)
-Community hill for Plymouth/PSU. Maybe get the triple up and running and not worry about the double to the summit? Akin to how Big Squaw in ME is doing things? Focus on night skiing/afternoon operations....install tubing hill?

The above could possibly work but they definitely have their work cut out for them.

Not much $ to be made from Plymouth/PSU. Especially if you are putting 10s of millions into the place.

As much as people bitch about the Hornet, a chair there is essential, even if is old and slow. Without the terrain from the top, the place is really, really tiny......with awkward trails that don't flow.....all the best terrain (edelweiss, morning glory, forget me not, sweet William, Venus fly trap, the glades) comes off the top. The narrow squiggly ones that DHS is talking about.

Tubing is there already. Lights have been used, but not lately.

witch hobble

1) A huge investment from new owners is a given if it reopens.
2) Maybe I am a skeptic, but I worry that it won't happen. I'm not getting my hopes up unless SNOWMAN103 can either prove he doesn't own a condo at the base (or other ulterior motives) or site his source.
3) How would the common skier show their support?

1- yes
2- he said lmfao and spelled the mountain's name wrong, so I don't think that was a serious post.
3- buy a ticket....or a condo

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Back in the 70s, I stood in some pretty long liftlines at Tenney. If someone has the deep pockets to put in some modern lifts and snowmaking, it is very accessible from I-93 and might well be competitive with Ragged, as well as the others that used to make up Ski-93. (Cannon, WV, Loon).

4aprice

Back in the 70s, I stood in some pretty long liftlines at Tenney. If someone has the deep pockets to put in some modern lifts and snowmaking, it is very accessible from I-93 and might well be competitive with Ragged, as well as the others that used to make up Ski-93. (Cannon, WV, Loon).

Thus what I said and team up with the Super Pass. (thus kind of recreating a Ski 93) What would make Tenney stand out from Gunstock, Ragged or even Sunapee, all about the same size and closer to the Boston metro area? Well joining Waterville, Bretton and Cannon (Mittersill) would get my attention My son goes to PSU and they will not be Tenney's saving grace.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
....or team with Peaks. Adding Tenney to Attitash, Wildcat and Crotched would be a nice product.

witch hobble

Tenney on the superpass would be hard for me to pass up.....Tenney with Peaks would probably make me make one trip a year to the others, so I would have to be convinced Tenney had their shit together to commit to that.

skifastinvt

Any word/rumors about the status of Tenney? I visited the area last weekend. It doesn't look like anything is happening (no tracks into the base lodge or office. Trails are really starting to grow in. I heard from a well connected local that the new owner does have intentions of running the property as a ski area (though the ski area is not his primary reason for purchasing the mountain). Rumor has it that he/his associates are also considering a purchase of Waterville Valley. All rumor, but interesting none the less.

Speaking of Waterville, thoughts on relocating the world cup triple instead of a new HS quad? With the new HS lifts at Ragged and Sunapee, I would think Waterville would have to build a HS on anything over 1,000 vert. ft.

Telemechanic

Every 25,000 full up/down laps, you need to tear apart and rebuild a detachable grip.

Your number is low for most lifts.

For most lifts that operate winters only code requires 20% of a lifts grips be non-destructive-tested each year. Grip cycles is a consideration so shorter lifts and lifts with two operating seasons can be as high as 40%.

A rough example is Loon's Kanc Quad which runs 1000 fpm, 8 hours a day for 150 days a year and is 8000 feet around, each grip does about 45,000 cycles in five years.

I'm not a person "really close to the project" but I've heard from very reliable sources it will reopen. I know the lifts have been maintained since they last closed with the idea of re-opening.

dusty

Hey Bostonian,
Been checking everyday myself, last I heard a month or so ago was we are waiting for a big announcement from the owners and some details on the plan, possibly a community fun day to gain interest. Hopefully we will hear something soon!

Jully

Last I heard was that the Development Group was going to make an announcement in March about the future of the mountain, but it appears that no such announcement was made.

dusty

ah, I have some tenants on the mountain now, will be sure to let everyone know if they see some machinery up there

thetrailboss

Staff member
Grapevine has it that some work is out to bid. No word on what that work is.

Considering the amount of deterioration that has likely occurred, it will take A LOT of work to get the ski operations up and running.

Jully

As has been mentioned before, I think a new lift has to go in. If they open with a refurbished Hornet going to top... I don't know if they'll last two seasons.

thetrailboss

Staff member