• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scotch

HD333

Any Scotch lovers here?

If money was no object what single malt would you give as a gift to a scotch lover?

Give me a few recommendations if possible.

Thanks

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
It helpto know what region of scotch they like.

Laphroiag makes a very highly regarded scotch, but it's incredibly smoky and peaty.

The more mainstream scotches like Glenlivet and Macallan are always well received. If you want to be different, the Balvanie Doublewood is a unique offering that is real good.

I would stay away from anything under 12yo. 15 is real good, and 18 starts to open some eyes. If you get a 25, I'll drive up myself to get a glass for my finders fee.

fishrising

I'll throw curveball at this one...because if they are an avid scotch drinker, then they probably had all the big names. So, I'd say, go with something different, but still in the scotch/whiskey family:

Delilah's

A $60 something a bottle. A great drink! It's a whiskey that thinks its a bourbon.

"This Limited Release whisky is a homage to Mike Miller's legendary Chicago punk rock whisky bar Delilah's which celebrated its 20th anniversary on 29th August 2013. Developed jointly by John Glaser and Mike Miller, it is an expression of their shared vision that great whisky should be enjoyed by all. It is an intense yet subtly complex Scotch whisky aged in a mix of experimental new American oak barrels and rejuvenated American oak hogsheads. This bestows it with a lovely, intense richness, vanilla character and sweetness. It has been created to be perfect served as a shot with a beer!"

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Talisker is very good.

Laphroiag is indeed quite good, but very strong.

Dalwhinnie is also pretty good.

I suggest these because they are just outside of what I would say is the mainstream. Glenfiddich makes a great Scotch too. I'd stop at a NH Liquor Outlet and scan the aisles. They have a ton of varieties.

ctenidae

Along the lines of fishrising, for something a little different, to show you can think outside the box, take the road less travelled, and generally get your groove on, maybe something like Defiant Single Malt American Whisky (https://www.defiantwhisky.com/). 100% barley, so tastes like scotch (to me, tastes like bandaids, just like scotch!), but not smoky. Friends who like scotch think it's pretty good, and an interesting riff on tradition.

Cannonball

The more mainstream scotches like Glenlivet and Macallan are always well received. If you want to be different, the Balvanie Doublewood is a unique offering that is real good.

I would stay away from anything under 12yo. 15 is real good, and 18 starts to open some eyes.

+1 on the Balvenie Doublewood. This has become my go-to for something good.

I can't really answer the "if money were no object question"....because it always has been.

granite

I would just try to find some good moonshine, that will really make an impression.

Scruffy

Sheep+Dip+Scotch.jpg

Cornhead

Scotch and water was my diet drink when I drank. Good theory, 86 calories per drink, until you're drunk and get the munchies.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

gladerider

depends on what the person likes

for me?
oban 18 when i can afford. my staple is glenmorangie original. flavored glenmorangie are meh.

don't like blended. don't like too peaty like laphroig.
lavavulin's finish is not my thing.

talisker, dalwinie, yamazaki, are just ok and don't really move the dial more me.
prefer nice finishes like balvenie and briny finishes like scapa

bourbons are great, but don't drink it too long. can be a bit too sweet for me. i am on elijah craig right now. but, my staple is knob creek.
jack daniels single barrel is very good.

ah, so many to choose from......