• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opening Day at Ragged 12-05-2014

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Date(s) Skied: December 6, 2014

Resort or Ski Area: Ragged

Conditions: Frozen Granular and Hard Pack

Trip Report: I wasn't expecting a whole lot from Ragged yesterday. I knew they'd only have one run open in this years iteration it was Blueberry to Wildside. I also knew that the new Spear lift wasn't running yet but at least it wasn't raining!

Conditions weren't perfect but far from lousy. I'd call it 90% carvable frozen granular with 10% hardpack. It's odd that Ragged chose a Friday for opening day, offering $25 tickets to benefit CHAD but it worked out for me! There was hardly anyone there so it was ski on for the under loaded six pack and none stop laps for 3 1/2 hours. Then I couldn't walk any more.

PC054363 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

PC054365 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

PC054364 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

PC054366 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

PC054368 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is the trail with the whales Headwall?

I thought it was odd too that they opened on a Friday. I saw the advertising for the CHAD benefit and assumed it was going to be today until I checked the date. I would've been there for sure. I'm guessing they didn't raise all that much money.

dlague

I thought it was odd too that they opened on a Friday. I saw the advertising for the CHAD benefit and assumed it was going to be today until I checked the date. I would've been there for sure. I'm guessing they didn't raise all that much money.

I think that opening on a Friday benefitting CHAD is like getting credit for giving to charity but limiting what is donated! Would not want to give up that Saturday revenue! However, hind sight being 20/20 today due to rain might not have been much better. Still I think that more respect would have given if it would have been Saturday.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tough to give up the Saturday revenue for sure. Likely all season pass holders with today's weather.

Most places do their can drive days on a Sunday.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Yes, it is. Shoulda labeled it. Lazy today. Weather was a deciding factor for me to ski Friday at Ragged or Saturday at Cannon. Both had benefit days. The Franconia pantry is missing out today.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Apparently they raised $10,000.

10802030_838747462835297_1738260511160679894_n.jpg