• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you ski moguls?

skiNEwhere

I never hit the very bottom of the troughs. I like to bounce off the side of the moguls at a 30-45 degree angle to control speed. If it's seeded moguls I can get in a good rhythm. If not, I usually only get 15-30 max before I get thrown off a little bit and need to reset.

I know there's something in there about extended and retracting the leg. If I got that down I'd probably have better luck with natural bumps

MadMadWorld

I never hit the very bottom of the troughs. I like to bounce off the side of the moguls at a 30-45 degree angle to control speed. If it's seeded moguls I can get in a good rhythm. If not, I usually only get 15-30 max before I get thrown off a little bit and need to reset.

I know there's something in there about extended and retracting the leg. If I got that down I'd probably have better luck with natural bumps

Using the gas pedal approach really help me. As you are coming over the mogul press down with your toes. This helps you get your ski tips down and allows you to engage your edge quicker.

skiNEwhere

Using the gas pedal approach really help me. As you are coming over the mogul press down with your toes. This helps you get your ski tips down and allows you to engage your edge quicker.

I never really come completely over the top of the mogul, more like a glancing blow off the side when I'm trying to zipper line. I love my soul 7's with a passion but they are not a bump ski, and their 188 length isn't helping either. Maybe I'll eventually get those harts, if I can find a pair to demo first

Bumpsis

I love to ski moguls but truth be told, I suck at it. So, I ski it any way I can and mix my lines. I love catching a rhythm but my main goal is just link my turns and hit as many as I can before my legs scream for mercy. If the trough line looks good and is soft enough, I'll hit it for a few turns but usually I'll slide on the upper side of a mogul to check my speed then swivel into the turn.
As much as I try to condition for moguls, usually 3 - 4 bump runs burn up my quads and I have to take a cruiser.

Savemeasammy

let's not go crazy now

:D

DHS and I were talking about this (subject) on our way home from Killington. IMO, it's not so much about the line you ski - what's more important is HOW you ski. I focus on keeping my hands in front, keeping a quiet upper body, and absorbing the bumps with my legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mister moose

I work on quick turns. Being ready to turn the other way before I finish the turn I'm on. That way, if the next mogul looks better to turn in the trough, before the trough, or after the trough, I'm ready. That and staying balanced. If I can keep those 2 going, it's a good run.

dlague

:D

DHS and I were talking about this (subject) on our way home from Killington. IMO, it's not so much about the line you ski - what's more important is HOW you ski. I focus on keeping my hands in front, keeping a quiet upper body, and absorbing the bumps with my legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absorbing bumps is part of my problem! The old legs just don't move as effectively as they used to.

crank

At 57 I maybe hit a few moguls here and there. Like Warren Miller once said - Your knees only have so many moguls in them. I liked the gas pedal analogy. It is similar to one I got from a Nelson Charmichael video a long time ago. He said to think of your ski tips as dolphins coming up out of the water and then make them dive back down as soon as they crest the bump.

If you guys like instructor speak you should check out the instructors forum over at Epicski. They are real pros at complicating the simple, overanalyzing anything, and general obfuscation through overuse of overly technical terms piled high into steaming, heaping mounds of you know what.

Last edited:

jrmagic

If you guys like instructor speak you should check out the instructors forum over at Epicski. They are real pros at complicating the simple, overanalyzing anything, and general obfuscation through overuse of overly technical terms piled high into steaming, heaping mounds of you know what.

Lol exactly why I stay away from there!

wa-loaf

This is kind of my method. I think .. I ski the troughs and kind of speed check on the mid point of the mogul as I pick up speed I'm then just skipping from mogul to mogul.

bigbog

............Whoever wrote those things never saw the screwed up, haphazard globs of frozen trenched crap we ski in New England. .........I am not great at bumps but it has become one of my favorite things to do. :)......

Yeah, Doc Barnes and EPIC are western based with a foray into EC once/yr..:lol: What a plan...
Nice get KevinF, the great snow in those videos is ALWAYS enjoyable to look at...sorry I couldn't make your recent VT/ME invasions, will see how things go this season.
Pete I hear ya'...relaxing and looking forward helps...makes them a lot more inviting to get into...a little bouncing off the lower portions with some trough cruisin' is par for the course. Gotta get out to work on that this season(I hope).

MisterMoose said..That and staying balanced. If I can keep those 2 going, it's a good run.
If I'm alive upon exiting a bumpfield = it's a good run...

Last edited: