• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saturday after Christmas

rocks860

I'm planning on heading out somewhere the Saturday after Christmas and looking for some ideas. It would just be a day trip so I'm not looking to go super far as the drive back would be rough. I'd be heading up from hartford area in CT. I usually go to someplace like okemo or Stratton/magic for a day trip but I'm looking for some variety. Going to sugarbush for a week in January and that's about my limit in terms of driving distance for a day trip. Any suggestions?

powhunter

Should be real busy just about everywhere with all this new white stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I'm planning on heading out somewhere the Saturday after Christmas and looking for some ideas. It would just be a day trip so I'm not looking to go super far as the drive back would be rough. I'd be heading up from hartford area in CT. I usually go to someplace like okemo or Stratton/magic for a day trip but I'm looking for some variety. Going to sugarbush for a week in January and that's about my limit in terms of driving distance for a day trip. Any suggestions?
MRG,SugarbushNorth or South,Killington,Pico,Magic

Jully

Pico would also be good that day without ridiculous crowds like Killington if you want to save the drive. No where near the size of Sugarbush though, obviously.

Brad J

If you are only skiing one day consider The day after Christmas, The crowds will be arriving in droves on Saturday, If you are determined to ski Saturday consider NH , Cannon ,Bretton Woods. Most of Vt get crazy crowded

rocks860

Unfortunately can't make it the day after, would have to be that saturday. Maybe cannon, haven't been there in a long time

rocks860

The only time I was at cannon was many many years ago and the conditions were terrible. How would you describe the mountain? Is it like any place in vt? I think the drive for me would be about the same as to sugarbush

Krikaya

The only time I was at cannon was many many years ago and the conditions were terrible. How would you describe the mountain? Is it like any place in vt? I think the drive for me would be about the same as to sugarbush

There's a Cannon lover's thread somewhere here on AZ. Personally, Cannon is my favorite along with Wildcat and Whiteface. IMHO, Cannon is more dependent on natural snow fall than corporate mountains like LOON that make a lot of snow and groom. The upper mountain gets scoured by the wind. I've been checking trail reports obssesively the past few weeks waiting for Cannon to open the top of the mountain. When the top is open, I think it's the best skiing in NH.

I can't think of any place similar to Cannon in VT. Is Whiteface close enough to you? They're claiming 18" the past 3 days. I'm planning on skiing 12/25 Bretton Woods($25 lift tickets), 12/26 Wildcat and possibly 12/27 at Cannon. I'm still debating Saturday's destination

VTKilarney

I'm hearing that central and western Vermont got more snow than Hew Hampshire or eastern Vermont.

rocks860

I've only really skiied vermont vt and ma for the past 15 years or so. I did ski loon, cannon, gunstock and Waterville valley way back in the day. I'm just trying to get an idea of what cannon is like before I drive 4 hours up there. To give you an idea of where I am magic is about 2 hours away

xwhaler

I'm also skiing that Saturday and will be at either Pico, Magic, or Dartmouth Skiway. I always avoid the big places holiday weeks.

rocks860

Remember...conditions change as one travels northward..rocks860. Think you might be overthinking it a bit..

Overthinking what? I'm just looking for some variety from the norm but also would like to avoid insane crowds if possible. This is all speculation right now since who knows what the conditions will be like in a week

rocks860

What are the trails like difficulty wise? I never skied magic until 2 years ago but I love that mountain when there's snow? Do they groom everything out or keep some stuff natural? It's near killington right?