• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saturday after Christmas

steamboat1

Nothing worth seeing at Pico....

move along, move along
Yep drove right past there this morning. Parking lot was empty. Yes Pico is open Thurs. Not sure if the summit quad was operating or not, it didn't appear to be when I passed in the afternnon. That's why I drive past, can't depend on that lift. About 3" fresh up there this morning. K-1 didn't start loading until about 10:30, everything else opened on time. Snowdon was the bomb right off the bat in the am.

medfordmike

Yep drove right past there this morning. Parking lot was empty. Yes Pico is open Thurs. Not sure if the summit quad was operating or not, it didn't appear to be when I passed in the afternnon. That's why I drive past, can't depend on that lift. About 3" fresh up there this morning. K-1 didn't start loading until about 10:30, everything else opened on time. Snowdon was the bomb right off the bat in the am.

I was there today. Summit quad was open and running from 9ish - 1 when I left. Visibility up top was not great today but the fresh snow made for some nice runs.

steamboat1

I was there today. Summit quad was open and running from 9ish - 1 when I left. Visibility up top was not great today but the fresh snow made for some nice runs.
Visibility was awesome today. You should have been there Tues. & Wed if you want to see poor visibilty. Could hardly see the gondola from the K-1 lodge after 2pm yesterday & it was like that top to bottom. Was thinking of Pico today but like I said the reliability of the summit quad often makes me drive past, without it there's not much to ski at Pico. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

boston_e

I was actually kidding. I think Pico is one of the most underrated / hidden gem places in New England. As steamboat1 mentioned there is some risk if the summit quad is not running, but I skied there at least 15 days last year and I don't think the summit quad was down for even one of them. That is prob a risk though at a handful of the "medium" sized resorts… if a lift goes down it limits your day for sure.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Time for a reality check, given the Christmas Day forecast that looks fairly certain. From a snow point of view, go somewhere that has excellent grooming. You'll be coming off of a rather wet couple of days.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My only complaint with Pico is the lack of a top to bottom lift.
My complaint is that if they close off part of the mountain for whatever reason, it gets really boring really fast. pico skis best when it's all open. Best if you pull the trigger on Friday - be flexible, this niar is going to make things interesting and each resort will suffer and recover differently.

boston_e

My only complaint with Pico is the lack of a top to bottom lift.

I'm not sure what Pico gains with a top to bottom lift other than a longer green circle / blue square runout from the summit and a longer lift ride to go along with it.

VTKilarney

I'm not sure what Pico gains with a top to bottom lift other than a longer green circle / blue square runout from the summit and a longer lift ride to go along with it.
Agreed. That had been pointed out earlier in this thread. It had been a LONG time since I last skied there, and I had not remembered the runout.

rocks860

Well I hope things shape up in the next couple weeks, heading up to sugarbush for a week on the 10th

rocks860

This looking to be less of a good idea but it's the only day I'll have to go before my trip to sugarbush so I'm gonna go out anyway

rocks860

Looks like it's between pico and sugarbush at this point. Pico likely less crowded but looks like they're getting more rain today and tomorrow. Bush will likely be more crowded but it's only supposed to rain today. Thoughts?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Are you staying at either mountain? Where are you coming from? Just thinking that if you're coming up route 100, you could swing by Pico real quick on the way to Sugarbush and see if you like what you see.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Pico doesn't get much grooming love, which is good and bad. You could consider Mt. Ellen if you're willing to compromise on variety in order to get minimal crowds. Mt. Ellen has one lift down for maintenance.

rocks860

Are you staying at either mountain? Where are you coming from? Just thinking that if you're coming up route 100, you could swing by Pico real quick on the way to Sugarbush and see if you like what you see.

I'm coming up from CT. I was just thinking the same thing about swinging by one on the way to the other. I was gonna leave around 5 or 530 so I can get there early

rocks860

Pico doesn't get much grooming love, which is good and bad. You could consider Mt. Ellen if you're willing to compromise on variety in order to get minimal crowds. Mt. Ellen has one lift down for maintenance.

Yeah I saw that it was down. I feel like mt Ellen is most enjoyable when all the natural snow trails are open. Based on the report today it looks like all natural snow trails are closed

Savemeasammy

At this point, you might want to make the call on Friday when you have a chance to see the snow reports. The "best" skiing is likely to be at ski areas that have built up a nice base of man-made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocks860

Yeah I don't really need to figure out until then. I'm just driving up saturday morning

Was just trying to figure out early in case I could buy a ticket on liftopia or something

Last edited: