• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River ASC-Era Village?

Vortex

The condo's of the 80' are almost all privately owned. The mountain has a few here and there, but the assocaitions control udates and upgrades. The key to lodging at Sr is almost everything is ski on ski out. I was slopeside for 8 seasons. Loved it. As my kids were no longer of ski program age, I moved off the hill for more space. If you have young kids, hard to beat the direct lift access and ease of lugging your gear for a family. Not many of the on hill condo's are rented anymore. Many of the orginal owners have sold off or no longer carry paper on thier units and don't need rental income from them. The Grand Summit and Jordan are the more common rented areas with more updated facilities.

The white cap lodge could use some love or possibly recreating that entire area. Most of the focus is indeed on south ridge.

Higgl

I personally really enjoy the white cap lodge. No one ever goes there and it's a wonderful little spot. I personally wouldn't mind at all if it stayed that way for another decade.

Vortex

I personally really enjoy the white cap lodge. No one ever goes there and it's a wonderful little spot. I personally wouldn't mind at all if it stayed that way for another decade.

love lunch at the shipyard On Friday's.
Great place to hang when its busy. White heat was a blast on Sat with the guns going crazy.

machski

The lift most likely to be completely replaced is Barker, and if so, likely 5 years or so out. Tempest may get a carpet load upgrade and I'd love one at Aurora (though at only 3100' line length, it is fast enough as is).
As for White Cap base lodge, things may happen with that. The resort does have new, more luxurious 1 bedroom condos on their radar and white cap basin is the focal point under consideration. Not sure how far this has gotten and whether or not a Base lodge change would happen all at once. As for the in place condos, many are managed by the mountain with their own associations and owned by owners independently. Unless said owner wants to update/upgrade, nothing the mountain could do except try to buy out all owners at a property first?

Jully

If the white cap basin was the focal point would they want to upgrade the white cap quad giving the residents higher speed access to the rest of the resort? That lift is fairly long and slow, especially compared to the access the townhouses by south ridge and anywhere else have.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Replacement of the Tempest chair is a frequent question during AZ challenges and the answer has always been that its not in the plans.

The reality is that Sunday River basically needs to do nothing. They've been a top 5 New England resort in terms of skier visits for 25 years. As long as they continue to make snow like they do, I don't see much need for major capital improvements. With their location, I don't see them increasing market share because the NYC market is out of play. With how well they run the place, I don't see them losing much market share either. At this point I would think the focus should be placed on increasing summer revenue.

SkiFanE

Replacement of the Tempest chair is a frequent question during AZ challenges and the answer has always been that its not in the plans.

The reality is that Sunday River basically needs to do nothing. They've been a top 5 New England resort in terms of skier visits for 25 years. As long as they continue to make snow like they do, I don't see much need for major capital improvements. With their location, I don't see them increasing market share because the NYC market is out of play. With how well they run the place, I don't see them losing much market share either. At this point I would think the focus should be placed on increasing summer revenue.

Yeah whitecap is horrible, but what point to replace it? Nothing go on down there except Parrothead, concerts at Foggy Goggle now. And replace Barker quad in 5 years? Why would that be done? Old reliable lift. I'm just easy to please on lifts, get me up safely and I'm happy. Spend all your time in bUmps and a few extra minutes on lift is needed anyway lol. And I avoid Tempest at all costs, that's the only one I bitch about. I just don't want my beverage and pass costs to go up for any BS "improvements".

machski

Yeah whitecap is horrible, but what point to replace it? Nothing go on down there except Parrothead, concerts at Foggy Goggle now. And replace Barker quad in 5 years? Why would that be done? Old reliable lift. I'm just easy to please on lifts, get me up safely and I'm happy. Spend all your time in bUmps and a few extra minutes on lift is needed anyway lol. And I avoid Tempest at all costs, that's the only one I bitch about. I just don't want my beverage and pass costs to go up for any BS "improvements".

Barker old reliable? Not so much lately and the lift is now a twice overhauled Yan to Poma HSQ which makes it a quarky lift. Add to it they rarely run it at full speed anymore and the lines that can form on weekends with major race traffic, you can see why this is on the midrange radar. I have heard a 6 pack mentioned and the terrain served between Barker/Locke could handle that.

Tempest may get a carpet loader at some point but I doubt anything else there.