• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River ASC-Era Village?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I was browsing the joyful wonders of Skimap.org last night and checked out some of the retro Sunday River trail maps. On this 1998 map, you can see the "site of the proposed resort village at Sunday River" at the base of the Jordan Bowl.

Too big of a pic for insertation, here's the link: https://skimap.org/data/459/260/1283651175.jpg

What happened to this proposed village? ASC made a lot of broken promises, was this one of them? Were any plans drawn up? How far did this get? Is it still in the works? Any insight or knowledge is welcome.

SkiFanE

Fuggetaboutit. Don't know many details but I believe many things limit any kind of development there. Boyne has focused on So Ridge area as central area.

Edd

Don't know if a village is worth the investment but it would be nice to see some updated lodging in the mix.

bigbog

Agree with Edd...
Think Hotel #1 = needed(imho)..But most likely was Les's fantasy for a 2nd, yet more luxurious Hotel...y/n? ...rivaling some of the Dot Com CEO's lavish extras....before heading off to the federal pergatories...

Last edited:

machski

The best you'll get now out there are single luxury residences along the golf course and the grand Jordan. All plans on the village are shelved at best. Any type of "village" is now envisioned in the lower south ridge lot. That said, there were plans for additional terrain beyond Jordan that were associated with the village and I know those plans are still in play for the future.

Razor

The best you'll get now out there are single luxury residences along the golf course and the grand Jordan. All plans on the village are shelved at best. Any type of "village" is now envisioned in the lower south ridge lot. That said, there were plans for additional terrain beyond Jordan that were associated with the village and I know those plans are still in play for the future.

Many people back then paid top dollar for quartershares at the Jordan Grand after being sold a bill of goods about that proposed village. Units that originally went for $40-50,000+ can be had now for $10-15,000, sometimes less.

DoublePlanker

The Jordan condo-hotel rooms are funny. I never saw a kitchen with literally 1 row of ceramic tile until I stayed in 1 of those rooms.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That would mirror the Grand Summit at Attitash. Same thing. Nothing "grand" about it except being slopeside and having a pretty sweet outdoor pool setup.

Jordan Village is just too far away from the rest the action. A South Ridge Village would seem to make more sense, though I don't know how busy it would be during the off seasons. I'd rather hang in Bethel during that time of year personally.

The Sneak

Remember the teen nightclub MVP: Music Videos and Pizza

Oh the 90s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machski

That Jordan village was an LBO thing and I think he wanted to build a great mountain village surrounded by wilderness. That would be the spot for such at SR but I think the reality of it was more a pipe dream than anything.

canobie#1

South Ridge and white cap are in despirate need of a huge make over. All of the condos are stuck in the 80's and early 90's. The White Cap Lodge or whatever it's called is most likely the ugliest looking contraption I have ever seen.

I hope SR does some big updates. The tempest and Aurora quads should be replaced with high speeds. The little white cap could use an upgrade too.

Jully

Those lift updates would be greatly appreciated, but that's a LOT of money that you're talking about. Just in Maine alone Boyne is looking to do significant upgrades to King Pine to a high speed at Sugarloaf, the west mountain at Sugarloaf, and move king pine to the double runners. In addition to their usual bolstering of snowmaking and other mountain amenities that's probably 7 million or more in lifts and about 10 million total at the loaf followed by two or three upgrades and any other amenities at Sunday River would run them another 15 million at least. The Sugarloaf plans are marketed to happen before 2020 and I can't see Boyne justifying a 25 million plus investment in Maine resort lift/ lodges over anything greater than a 20 year period so I sadly would be shocked if we saw anything major done like a new detach before 2030 or later.
All that would make me happy would be a loading carpet on more lifts besides spruce.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Upgrading Aurora would be incredibly dumb. Its not a long lift for a fixed grip and because it is not a HSQ the crowds stay away. There and White Cap are the best places on the mountain to escape crowds on the weekend.

canobie#1

Those lift updates would be greatly appreciated, but that's a LOT of money that you're talking about. Just in Maine alone Boyne is looking to do significant upgrades to King Pine to a high speed at Sugarloaf, the west mountain at Sugarloaf, and move king pine to the double runners. In addition to their usual bolstering of snowmaking and other mountain amenities that's probably 7 million or more in lifts and about 10 million total at the loaf followed by two or three upgrades and any other amenities at Sunday River would run them another 15 million at least. The Sugarloaf plans are marketed to happen before 2020 and I can't see Boyne justifying a 25 million plus investment in Maine resort lift/ lodges over anything greater than a 20 year period so I sadly would be shocked if we saw anything major done like a new detach before 2030 or later.
All that would make me happy would be a loading carpet on more lifts besides spruce.

2030 is a big stretch. They need to upgrade in order to gain business. They wouldn't wait that long. Even doing just one of those lifts and a white cap lodge improvement would be a great plan for the next few years.

Jully

I could see a lodge upgrade near term, but any lift upgrade bigger than a loading carpet would surprise me. Their beginner most intermediate terrain is served by a modern lift system with Barker, the chondola, and the other HSQ there. Tempest with an HSQ would be nice, but Boyne appears to have focus elsewhere.

Does anyone know if they have released a new long term development plan? The last plan I saw was released shortly after Boyne bought it in the late 2000s and it ended in 2012 or 13 I think.

Does anyone know

Edd

Does anyone know if they have released a new long term development plan? The last plan I saw was released shortly after Boyne bought it in the late 2000s and it ended in 2012 or 13 I think.

Does anyone know

The "future" section of the SR website is all stuff well behind us. This appears to be the decade of the Loaf, as far as Maine goes.

It's tough to imagine them increasing market share significantly with the more convenient competition in play. SR is a monster but there are bigger monsters out there.

canobie#1

I could see a lodge upgrade near term, but any lift upgrade bigger than a loading carpet would surprise me. Their beginner most intermediate terrain is served by a modern lift system with Barker, the chondola, and the other HSQ there. Tempest with an HSQ would be nice, but Boyne appears to have focus elsewhere.

Does anyone know

16 years? Really? They will deff be getting a new lift before that.
My bet is around 2019.