• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Are slightly used, 8 year old skis still good?

Bruce in Iloilo

I haven't skied in several years (living in the tropics and having an inflexible schedule will do that too you) but I have a pair of skis, slightly used, from when I was in Austria. Now, I am going to Japan for a week of skiing. Are the skis, bindings and boots still useable, if I get them properly tuned up? I have never had skis sit for this long unused.

I am a skilled but not aggressive skier and am going with folks who are novice to intermediate skiers and so do not expect to be skiing very hard. I just need safe and serviceable equipment. I could rent but it is a week, and well, it's rental equipment. Maybe my years-old slightly-used equipment would be better than beat-up rental.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Old skis don't have the technology of newer skis. While newer skis may ski easier, it sounds to me that for the amount you ski, the 8 year old ones should be fine. The bigger question is: Are the bindings OK?

mriceyman

Take them to a ski shop and have them check me out. Most likely they are perfectly fine to use. And depending on where you get rentals they don't have to be crappy rental skis. Never been to japan so I wouldn't know how it works out there.

Cannonball

It's a huge PIA to travel with skis. Especially all the way to Japan. If you had new skis that you loved it might be worth the hassle of carrying them. But if you're questioning old skis that you have I suggest that you save yourself the trouble and just rent/demo. Spend some time in advance lining up a good demo or rental deal. You might be able to ski some new technologies and also have the chance to switch up gear based on conditions. Also don't forget to factor in the cost of traveling with skis. There is usually a big added baggage fee. So the rental cost should be considered with that in mind.

Have a blast! Very jealous of a Japan trip.

dlague

Baggage fees are not always a big expense - for example we are flying Air Canada to Calgary in March and each person is allowed one luggage, a pair skis and a boot bag for free. However, the case for the skis might cost a chunk of change.

Highway Star

I haven't skied in several years (living in the tropics and having an inflexible schedule will do that too you) but I have a pair of skis, slightly used, from when I was in Austria. Now, I am going to Japan for a week of skiing. Are the skis, bindings and boots still useable, if I get them properly tuned up? I have never had skis sit for this long unused.

I am a skilled but not aggressive skier and am going with folks who are novice to intermediate skiers and so do not expect to be skiing very hard. I just need safe and serviceable equipment. I could rent but it is a week, and well, it's rental equipment. Maybe my years-old slightly-used equipment would be better than beat-up rental.

Well, you know it would help if you told us what you had, for starters. Because that would make a difference. The boots should be fine, certainly bring them. If your skis are crap, plan on getting higher end demo/rental. If you look online you should be able to get a deal on a multi-day package of skis/poles by booking it ahead of time.

abc

I can't rrecommend more strongly that you squeeze a day (or two) in on slope before your trip.

I had at one time a 5 year break before returning to skiing. 2nd day out, the toe piece of the boot cracked. Not realizing what that signified, I got it replaced (fairly cheap). A couple days later, one of the sshell cracked near the buckle. Basically, the plastic had reached their end of life.

Now, if the plastic of a boot shell can crack, so that the binding. Granted, the functional part of bindings are usually metal, I'd still be concerned about corrotion and such.

As others pointed out, it's a hassle to lug the gear half way round the world. And you may still end up renting if they start to fall apart.

Highway Star

I can't rrecommend more strongly that you squeeze a day (or two) in on slope before your trip.

I had at one time a 5 year break before returning to skiing. 2nd day out, the toe piece of the boot cracked. Not realizing what that signified, I got it replaced (fairly cheap). A couple days later, one of the sshell cracked near the buckle. Basically, the plastic had reached their end of life.

Now, if the plastic of a boot shell can crack, so that the binding. Granted, the functional part of bindings are usually metal, I'd still be concerned about corrotion and such.

As others pointed out, it's a hassle to lug the gear half way round the world. And you may still end up renting if they start to fall apart.

I'd bet that 20%-30% of the gear in use on any given saturday at ski areas in the northeast is at least 8 years old.

I ski some plastic bindings that are 25+ years old. They don't fall apart like some boot shells do.

derek

I found the quality of rentals varied greatly from resort to resort. Nesiko had excellent shops but the shops in Nagano were straight out of the eighty's. I would do a little research on where you are going. It can't hurt.

Madroch

If the boots are quality they should last- My boots are going on 8 years old- second set of liners- they are fine- provably 300 days on them....have needed some minor repairs along the way...

jimk

It's a huge PIA to travel with skis. Especially all the way to Japan. If you had new skis that you loved it might be worth the hassle of carrying them. But if you're questioning old skis that you have I suggest that you save yourself the trouble and just rent/demo. Spend some time in advance lining up a good demo or rental deal. You might be able to ski some new technologies and also have the chance to switch up gear based on conditions. Also don't forget to factor in the cost of traveling with skis. There is usually a big added baggage fee. So the rental cost should be considered with that in mind.

Have a blast! Very jealous of a Japan trip.

Agree with the recommendation above to rent. I'm a big one for bringing my own stuff no matter what because I don't want any surprise gear malfunctions to mess up even one precious morning on a costly trip, but in your case because of the age of eqmt, break in ski activity, and travel distance it makes a lot of sense to rent. If your boots still feel great and are not damaged consider bringing those and I agree it might be wise to scout out and identify a well regarded rental shop at your planned destination. Which area are you going to? Share some post trip photos with us;)

PS: FYI here's a link to a three part article from Firsttracksonline by Tony Crocker: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/2011/10/17/skiing-japan-hakuba-niseko/

Last edited:

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com
Your 8 year old skis / boots are probably in better shape than my 8 year old skis / boots as I have literally used them every season for the last 8 years...

That being said - whenever I head out west (hate you for getting the chance to head to Japan btw) I rent demos or some type up upgrade other than standard rentals. Just bring my boots...

Highway Star

53624689.jpg