• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stingiest midweek operators?

drjeff

Mount Snow rotates between Beartrap and the Sunbrook Quad midweek. If just the Quad is running Beartrap is inaccessible. If Beartrap is running than you have to ride up Beartrap and survive Long John back to the base to take the Bluebird back up to the summit. Meanwhile, Canyon Quad is on every midweek day and it serves the same terrain as the Bluebird. I'd rather have both Sunbrook lifts with Canyon Quad weekends only.

This one is ridiculous to me as well. No reason for Canyon to run mid week.

Canyon runs midweek, regular season daily since for most beginners, its easier to hop on Canyon after concurring the beginner area and head to Snowdance than hike across the base area past the grand summit hotel over to the tumbleweed triple for their next step. I agree that the midweek sunbrook/beartrap rotation thing is BS

xwhaler

Saddleback often closes the T Bar midweek. Though its still possible to access the west side off the double

reefer

Canyon runs midweek, regular season daily since for most beginners, its easier to hop on Canyon after concurring the beginner area and head to Snowdance than hike across the base area past the grand summit hotel over to the tumbleweed triple for their next step. I agree that the midweek sunbrook/beartrap rotation thing is BS

Canyon wasn't running yesterday. Maybe cause of early season? Was amazing with only the Bluebird and Challenger running how much terrain you can access. Never had a lift partner all day..............................

drjeff

Canyon wasn't running yesterday. Maybe cause of early season? Was amazing with only the Bluebird and Challenger running how much terrain you can access. Never had a lift partner all day..............................

It's "early season operations" at Mount Snow from opening day until Christmas week, then mid winter operations until roughly March 1st and then back to "early" season operations from roughly March 1st until closing

And yup, if they spin basically 4 lifts (Bluebird, Challenger, Bear trap and Nitro) that gets you roughly 95% of the mountain available - Mount Snow can maximize terrain access while minimizing lift operations as good, if not better than most any "major" resort in New England

puckoach

Loon has been bean counting more and more.

I have limited my visits and moved group outings to other hills.

skiNEwhere

Pretty sure I saw it rubbing Friday. But I may have my days mixed up.

Well technically mid-week, I don't really count Friday as a weekday. A lot of resorts seem to open up more on Friday than they've had open Mon-Thurs due to people taking the day off for a 3 day weekend

Newpylong

It's "early season operations" at Mount Snow from opening day until Christmas week, then mid winter operations until roughly March 1st and then back to "early" season operations from roughly March 1st until closing

And yup, if they spin basically 4 lifts (Bluebird, Challenger, Bear trap and Nitro) that gets you roughly 95% of the mountain available - Mount Snow can maximize terrain access while minimizing lift operations as good, if not better than most any "major" resort in New England

That is a perfect midweek lift line-up right there.

BenedictGomez

Jay. They will shut stuff down and blame it on the wind if they don't have the people. Learned the hard way last year. A ski patrol member and an instructor mentioned it and had identical stories. One even asked "Ever notice most of our wind holds are midweek?". Complete bs. I messaged Steve on here and never heard back. The fact the staff would both mention this says a lot. Two days, 5 hours of driving each way, and hundreds in lodging and we never got higher than the Bonny. Thanks!

I've heard this from more than a few people too, but didnt know if it was cynicism or not. Interesting to hear that even employees have claimed it.

Platty closes all 3 of their lifts non holiday s on Monday to Thursday s.

Which just makes the natural trail conditions even better after storms.

machski

The other thing is that I think someone that the terrain was going to be much more popular than what it is. I bet they cut it and were like, "People are going to love this and think of it like a Western Bowl skiing experience." Maybe if they got Jay Peak snowfall, but not at 150" a year. It's IMO the single worst piece of trail design of any mountain in New England. The owner must have owned stock in Husqvarna or something as they were WAY too chainsaw happy. A couple narrow trails and true glades would have been SO much better for the "expert" pod they were trying to create.

Bingo, in fact when Oz opened they had a sign stating the same (unlike anything in the east, akin to western bowl skiing). Maybe first few seasons when they made a ton of snow there but now Oz tends to be a wasteland outside of good natural snow periods. When possible, they have run Oz when Jordan has been on wind hold (with plenty of snow of course). Locke, Quantum and Oz all not running mid week is fine, not much terrain lost.

machski

Loon has been bean counting more and more.

I have limited my visits and moved group outings to other hills.

This has been pissing me off. They close South for almost any reason mid week. I have the new england pass but if I was a day ticket buyer and got to Loon to find out a good chunk was shutdown for no reason without a ticket discount, I'd go elsewhere.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd definitely be pissed if I showed up and South Peak was shut down midweek. As Sunday River was just mentioned, a similar equivalent loss of terrain would be if Sunday River shutdown both Jordan and Oz midweek as a cost savings measure.

I'm sure that will all change once they build the new South Peak learning area, but shuttering half the mountain (at NH's busiest mountain no less) would really bother me as a pass holder.

Savemeasammy

This has been pissing me off. They close South for almost any reason mid week. I have the new england pass but if I was a day ticket buyer and got to Loon to find out a good chunk was shutdown for no reason without a ticket discount, I'd go elsewhere.

I haven't skied this area at Loon, but I would like to. However, Loon is the kind of place I would avoid like the plague on a weekend... That's a bummer to see this.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Mapnut

This thread is very interesting to me as a guy who only skis on weekends. I didn't realize what I have not been missing! I seldom wait more than 5 minutes for a lift, so the time lost in weekend lines can be offset by starting at 8 instead of 9. Lots of people on the slopes doesn't seem to be a problem for me, though deteriorating snow conditions in the afternoon are. However all the trails are available for me. Weekends cost more, of course. It sounds like when I retire I should ski at Killington.