• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The interview ( the Movie)

ScottySkis

If we demand they show the movie it be shown . sad statement though what happens to us as country ya I said it twice because it that unbelievable to me.

JimG.

Staff member
As the cowards cave to the threats the door swings open for more abuse and terror.

The criminals get their way and have been encouraged to act again. Pathetic!

Edd

Haven't seen this suggested yet but perhaps they should just release it through the regular cable On Demand portals at home. They routinely do this with indie type new releases; same day as theaters.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So the story was all over NPR today. Sounds like some theaters are still going ahead; others are pulling it. NYC is saying that they will go ahead and provide police.

In hindsight I think it might not have been a good idea to make a movie about the assassination of a sitting leader of a sovereign country, especially one that is pretty crazy. I've seen the ads and trailers and I knew the general gist but did not realize that the movie actually showed the assassination itself.

Nothing illegal per se about this comical movie, but might not have been a smart move. Add to the fact that Sony is based in nearby Japan and it is even more questionable since they are so close to North Korea.

Hopefully Sony is paying the extra cost for security details.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So we have never had a war to bring peace?

Ah yes, reminds me of an event my last year in College when protests broke out ahead of the last Iraq war. At the event I was at one drunk frat boy suddenly shouted out at the event, "THAT'S WHY WE'RE GOING TO WAR--FOR PEACE!" Folks didn't know how to react. It was comical to say the least.

Edd

I see that the FBI is implicating N. Korea as the source of the hack but this just seems weird. Total gut feeling but it feels more likely that it's just someone is pretending it's N. Korea and the movie is a convenient excuse.

Bad stuff either way. I'm reading that this is the most destructive hack ever.

mriceyman

They should just release it on itunes for $10 or so.. The download numbers would be insane

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
The terrorists have won.

I'd argue Sony has won. You know how many people are going to go see this film when its finally released? It will be one of the highest grossing movies ever dispite looking completely awful in the previews.

ctenidae

It is interesting that, even according to Sony, one of the largest factors in the decision to pull was the potential effect on other releases. Your average family of 4 isn't going to go see a Disney movie if there's a thought that terrorists might attack the theater next door. A market-driven decision, as it should be, being capitalism, but unfortunately a loss to capitalism that the market is driven by fear (not, mind you, entirely unjustified, perhaps, in this case).

I doubt NK has agents/direct sympathizers in the US who could or would carry out an attack on a theater. But, I bet there are a few homegrown nut jobs who just might use the excuse. There are probably a few ISIS sympathizer-types who would do the same (I think it's important to differentiate between the two types of nut jobs).