• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What makes a great jacket?

Squire

I'm part of a start-up company called Lukla that makes insulating liners for outerwear jackets. We've just started the development of a jacket specifically for skiers. The only problem is finding out exactly what skiers like! If you have strong opinions, please feel free to share them or address some of the following questions below:

What is your favorite brand of jacket and why (i.e. durability, style, fit, warmth, weight)?

What specific features do you look for in a jacket (i.e permanent hood, detachable hood...) and why?

What colour do you like?

Thanks for the help!

SkiFanE

I'm part of a start-up company called Lukla that makes insulating liners for outerwear jackets. We've just started the development of a jacket specifically for skiers. The only problem is finding out exactly what skiers like! If you have strong opinions, please feel free to share them or address some of the following questions below:

What is your favorite brand of jacket and why (i.e. durability, style, fit, warmth, weight)?

What specific features do you look for in a jacket (i.e permanent hood, detachable hood...) and why?

What colour do you like?

Thanks for the help!

First - not one perfect jacket, for NE at least.

Depending on what I need: Fit, Durability and Style, in that order. Warmth depends on what I have - my shell is not warm - but waterproof.

Features: Practical pockets. Easy to handle zippers. Doesn't let snow/wind up your back (powder skirt or cinch type thing). Able to zip up to chin.

I buy whatever great brand I can get for a deal. Now I have Acrtyrex (sp?), Marmot, Mammut, Cloudveil - never pay MSRP. So color pretty much is a non-issue unless it's hideous - black and red are my current colors.

drjeff

What colour do you like?

Thanks for the help!

Currently I have , and I like both a Phenix and a Volkl insulated winter jackets, a Marmot hardshell and a couple of Mountain Hardware softshells. The fit, depending on the style is from semi form fitting to relaxed - each has it's place in my jacket collection. They have all proven to me to be quite durable, appropriately warm, and most importantly to me, as weatherproof as they claim to be!

Features - well thought out pockets are a BIG thing with me!! I love have a wrist area small pocket on 1 sleeve where I can stash a money clip instead of having to carry a full wallet. I love have upper chest area, accessible from the outside pockets where I can stash my cell phone or a camera and still have easy access to them without having to unzip the main zipper on the coat. I LOVE having 2 decent sized pockets on the inside of my coats that are directly underneath the classical lower front pocket locations. I REALLY love when a coat has a pocket across the small of my back where I can easily stash a baseball hat for in the lodge after my helmet comes off. I prefer detachable hoods, with the exception of my hardshell which I use mainly in rainy weather. I like the zippers to have decent sized tabs to grab onto while wearing my gloves/mittens

Colors - darker colors as the primary, with some lighter accents/trim/piping is what I prefer - lets be honest, chairlift lubricant drips and sleeves that reach the floor while on the back of a chair in the lodge are a reality - darker primary fabrics work better for that reality

C-Rex

Goretex. I'm a shell guy. I have a Burton AK 2L Goretex jacket that I really love. It fits really nicely and doesn't constrict my movement. It's very lightweight and surprisingly durable for how light and flexible the material is. I've had it for a few years now and it's taken a lot of falls, brushes with trees, and general abuse without one tear or hole. The zippers are waterproof as well and have never given me a problem. My only complaint is that the pit zips can be fussy when I try to open or close them while wearing the jacket. The mesh and/or outer overlaps tend to get stuck in the zipper. It can be fairly annoying. I've developed a technique that fixes the problem but it'd be nice if they improved the design to make them less problematic. Being a shell, it's not warm on it's own but I prefer to layer under it anyway. I generally don't need more than a baselayer and a fleece to be comfortable.

SIKSKIER

I'm an Arcterx shell fanboy.To T-rex's point,I like the waterproof zippers that have no overlap cover to get caught in the zipper.Chest pockets area must and I lik an upper sleeve pocket.Extended rear to keep my back covered.

JimG.

Staff member
If you ski/board hard vents are a must, more is better.

Especially true for H2O proof jackets.

Breakout12

Please, whatever you do, make sure that your sizing chart is accurate if you are going to sell online. There is nothing more frustrating than a sizing chart telling me that I should wear small, when in reality, I just about Hulk right out of it because I actually need a large! I don't understand how charts can be so far off!

Edd

Rarely (never) does a jacket have too many pockets. I've seen plenty of jackets with too few.

Vents are mandatory, and I always want webbing on the vents. If you have to raise the price of the jacket by $20 to put webbing in there, go right ahead.

freeski

I have a Spyder for everything except hot spring days. Second vents are important. Jacket opens under arms and almost all the way down to the waist. Open them up a lot more than I expected I would. Has a powder skirt I'll never use. Velcro on the cuffs and neck to keep out snow/wind. I like the little extras, pocket inside pockets and a chamois lens wiper on a lanyard so you always have it. I'd rather have a ski jacket a little bulkier and warm in all conditions.

C-Rex

Powder skirts are a must and personally I like having a inner wrist gator that can go under my gloves then with the jacket cuff over the glove.

A bottle opener zipper pull would be cool and convenient.

Padded/waterproof cell phone/ipod pocket with routing for headphone wires.

Sleeve pocket for passes and/or RFID tickets.

For the Scotty's out there: secret yet easily accessible MJ pocket.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess the only complaint I have about my Flylow is the hood doesn't detach or roll up. I'd rather it detach personally. Other than that, it's a great jacket. Vents, but no webbing. I could see why someone would want that though. It only has 3 pockets, but that's fine. The only pocket I use is the chest pocket for a cell phone. The hand pockets only get used when I'm wearing the jacket while not skiing. Keys and wallet go in pants pocket. A metal ring attachment somewhere near the waist would be cool for affixing lift tickets. I like the clear pocket feature I see on the upper arm of some jackets to put a season pass for display.

Savemeasammy

A zip off hood is a must. I like to have several pockets - including inside - and I would all of them to be able to zip closed. I use the under-arm vents quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scruffy

Vents, vents, and more vents.

Well thought out pockets.

Zipper pulls that you can grab on to with gloves

Steezy colors !!

Fit! I'm an athletic fit and hate baggy cloths. If I look like a sack of potatoes, I won't buy it no matter the technicals.

Brands? I have a lot of them, I'm not a brand whore, whatever is on sale and does the job. Patagonia, Northface, Marmot, Mammut all work for me. Arcteryx can go pound, their prices are off the reservation, others make just as good ( if not better ) a technical shell for less.

I bought my first insulated ski jacket this year, I'm usually a shell and layer guy, and so far I'm digging it for lift served skiing. I wouldn't take it into the back country, nor ski with it on a warm day, but it has it's place. Let's face it, if you're just banging lift served, and it's not puking out, a technical climbing shell is not always needed - but I'll still wear mine sometime too, so ... depends on the mood.

gmcunni

i prefer a shell. waterproof + windproof. hood that can fit over helmet.

pockets are key for me. ideally
2 outside "hand" pockets
external chest pocket
sleeve pocket
2 inside chest with zipper for valuables

pit zips for venting

sleeve gaitors (thumb hole thing) for sealing out cold/snow

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Secure pockets! I bought a new jacket this year and was OCD checking my keys . The pocket zipper zips upward but has Velcro flaps.
Worked out well till I was convinced the zipper would stay up.
Water proof outer with moisture absorbent liner fleece.
Hood has to be securable, current jacket after a second look found it wasn't removable and might fill with powder
A drawstring for waist , and do not forget wicket ring
Maybe back of arm (quad ) vents

deadheadskier

Staff member
What the hell do you people need all these pockets for? I carry my wallet, keys, phone and the occasional left hand cigarette and that's it. I hate the feeling of too much crap in my pockets.

gmcunni

I hate the feeling of too much crap in my pockets.

me too, which is why i want a lot of pockets to spread things out.

wallet inside chest, secured. phone inside chest #2, secured
chest outside- trail map
hand pockets.. usually empty.. maybe extra hand warmer, tissues, candybar... but need them to stuff gloves in when in the lodge.