• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pro skis

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Just a random thought I had.

Do you think a pro ever hated the skis a company made for them?

Like what if Chris Benchetler thought the Bent Chetler was too stiff, or not damp enough? Would he still have to use it all season? Or just when he's being photographed, and the rest of the time he'd switch to other skis?

mriceyman

Im pretty sure they test thoroughly before the final product is out there

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jrmagic

It would be but usually the pro would be involved in the R&D and prototypes before it ever was brought to market. I'm sure there have been many that were scrapped or at least significantly altered from the initial design. As for what they would ride... depends on what's in the contract.

Hawkshot99

They can't be on other stuff than what they are paid for. Especially with cameras everywhere nowadays. It would be bad if I caught pics of them riding on other company's stuff.

Highway Star

I just think it would be funny if they missed the mark, and the pro didn't like the final product.

The Bent Chetler is actually a poor example, because it sounds like he's been deeply involved with the ski's development:

http://www.powder.com/stories/midseason-launch-atomic-bent-chetler/

Pro's skis and equipment are a funny thing. Most pros are very physically strong compared to the average person, and they regularly ski much faster. For example, if Seth Morrison (at 155 lb) ever skied a stock version of his pro model, it was in the 189cm (actually 192cm) length, with 16 din salomon metal bindings and a flexon/full tilt with a very stiff tongue (upsized from the normal fitment). Back in the mid '00's era of big mountain skis, burly race room versions were very common such as the rossi bandit XXXX (later to be changed and released as the squad series) and the pro Nobis/InBig (detuned to become the legend pro). Its also a safe bet that pro halfpipe riders boosting 20ft out of the pipe are riding on some pretty beefy custom sticks because of the stability and durability needed, compared to the average commercial twintip. You don't hear much about custom/proto powder/big mountain skis these days, but I'm sure they are still made. Real race skis have always been made in a vast variety and custom in some cases.

Pro boot setups are also very interesting, with all sorts of large tweaks and custom mods. Seth skis flexon / FT, and I'm sure they are fully custom built. My personal full tilts (after 13 years in flexons) start with last years boots with metal buckles, downsized two sizes, change to shorter bails, change the boot board to a rigid foam version out of a mid 80's vintage boot, add a taller plastic shank to the rear cuff, cam buckle power straps, aftermarket intuition liner, custom footbed, and a 10 flex tongue 2 sizes (out of 4) bigger because it is much stiffer, ~140 flex. People have been modding flexons since the early 80's, so it's a safe bet Seth has mastered all the tweaks available, and then some. Pro race boots are crazy.

Last edited: