• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cell phone case with tether for a klutz

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I have a non-iphone. I want to tether my phone to my jacket, so when I take it out I don't drop it. I'm thinking of getting some sort of ruggedized case and attach a tether to it. I only need it when I'm skiing or hiking. My phone has no way to physically connect anything to it, so I figure I need a case.

I'm thinking of getting one of those cases made of fabric, drilling a hole in the case and attach a tether.
I don't case if it's not a perfect fit or if I have to hack up the case a little.
What options do you think I have?
thanks

dmw

I'm hoping to do something similar with a Lifeproof iPhone case. Considering something crude like duct tape or gorilla glue to attach a key ring or something.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I found something on ebay I'm going to give a try. It's a "wallet" which holds the phone on one side (with requisite holes) and has a cover that can contain my money, CC and ID. It has a hole on it, so I'm going to use one of many retractable lines I have collected over the years. Not perfect, but one less thing to lose. I'm getting tired of not keeping my money and phone together.

bluebird

I've always used a small waterproof pouch that was originally designed for kayaking and water sports.

skiNEwhere

I once lost my keys at killington during a hard fall. Was a terrible feeling to get to the car, stick my hand in my pocket and have them not be there.

A small feature I look for now with jackets is a small clip to attach my key ring to, does your jacket have that?

Cornhead

I once lost my keys at killington during a hard fall. Was a terrible feeling to get to the car, stick my hand in my pocket and have them not be there.

A small feature I look for now with jackets is a small clip to attach my key ring to, does your jacket have that?

I have a small zippered pocket on the inside of my jacket I try to remember to put my keys in. I once found someone's keys in the middle of a trail at Hunter. Planet Fitness NYC card, VW, Thule rack key, it was early season, I think I could've found the car in the parking lot. I turned them in to lost and found. I hope they had the sense to check there. If they did, it was their lucky day, what are the odds of someone finding their keys on the slope? They could easily been covered with snow, I just happened to look down at the right time to notice them.

My SHO had a keypad on the door, I would leave my keys in the glove box, that was nice. It was good for leaving the car running unattended too, now I have to rely on the fact if someone wants to steal my car if I decide to leave it running, to duck into a convenience story, or what not, they better know how to drive stick, a rarer, and rarer skill.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

teleo

I have an otterbox case that I use only for skiing with a Snowlizard tek tab permanently attached. The glue on tek tab hasn't failed me yet. Of course now it probably will:O