• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski areas with buyer's remorse

podunk77

Not to dwell on the negative, but anyone have examples of things that ski areas invested in that they probably wish they hadn't? Bolton Valley's trailside lodging is probably one example, and I often wonder whether Wachusett would install the Vickery Bowl lift if they had to do it over again (seems like they just wanted to win their pissing contest with the environmentalists by putting SOMETHING there).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This is going to be a fun thread.

Here's some general regrets for all resorts:

Not building big enough base lodges.
Participating in the battle for "widest slope in the east" that destroyed many trails at many ski resorts, most notably Killington.
A lack of beginner terrain. I'm sure most resorts would've benefited if they adapted the Prez Smith idea of having beginner terrain off of every lift. Beginner areas need to be larger.
I'm sure buying new snow guns every ten years to stay up to date is painful.
Not building grand villages or terrain expansions when there were more lax regulations in the 60s and 70s.
Investing in massive terrain parks when that was the trend 3 years ago. Now the parks are being sized-down and there's lots of equipment going unused (pipe groomers, rails, boxes).

More mountain-specific regrets:

Someone can write a book on Killington for this, but I don't have 2 hours to type all the regrets management must have.
Mount Snow- taking out every cool thing from the 60s, not having large enough snowmaking reservoirs, building the Grand Summit Express
Okemo- Putting in those slow base area quads, doing the same at Jackson Gore,
Sugarbush- Not hiring a better lift maintenance department, taking out the summit gondola
Jay Peak- EB-5, falling through on Bonnie Quad replacement
Jiminy Peak- Stupid setup on Widow's Peak that leaves that terrain underutilized.

Future regrets mountains will have:
Having massive terrain parks
Too much snowmaking= lack of variety, too much maintenance, too much labor, not enough ROI
Not building slopsside lodging or housing
Not building any summer attractions
Building intricate lift systems that require many lifts running midweek
Too much uphill capacity
Quantity over quality

Tin

Here's some general regrets for all resorts:

Not building big enough base lodges.
Participating in the battle for "widest slope in the east" that destroyed many trails at many ski resorts, most notably Killington.
A lack of beginner terrain. I'm sure most resorts would've benefited if they adapted the Prez Smith idea of having beginner terrain off of every lift. Beginner areas need to be larger.
I'm sure buying new snow guns every ten years to stay up to date is painful.
Not building grand villages or terrain expansions when there were more lax regulations in the 60s and 70s.
Investing in massive terrain parks when that was the trend 3 years ago. Now the parks are being sized-down and there's lots of equipment going unused (pipe groomers, rails, boxes).

More mountain-specific regrets:

Someone can write a book on Killington for this, but I don't have 2 hours to type all the regrets management must have.
Mount Snow- taking out every cool thing from the 60s, not having large enough snowmaking reservoirs, building the Grand Summit Express
Okemo- Putting in those slow base area quads, doing the same at Jackson Gore,
Sugarbush- Not hiring a better lift maintenance department, taking out the summit gondola
Jay Peak- EB-5, falling through on Bonnie Quad replacement
Jiminy Peak- Stupid setup on Widow's Peak that leaves that terrain underutilized.

Future regrets mountains will have:
Having massive terrain parks
Too much snowmaking= lack of variety, too much maintenance, too much labor, not enough ROI
Not building slopsside lodging or housing
Not building any summer attractions
Building intricate lift systems that require many lifts running midweek
Too much uphill capacity
Quantity over quality

agJIP.gif

Scruffy

NOT. This is just yet another one of those "if I ran the world, things would be different threads". Do you people actually ski? Or do you just sit around pontificating how things could/should be better at you favorite hill? There's more damn threads on this forum cutting ski areas down for what they do wrong, then praise for what they do right. Talk about the biting the hand that feeds you. Get out and ski! and stop the politics. Jeeze Louise.

ss20

NOT. This is just yet another one of those "if I ran the world, things would be different threads". Do you people actually ski? Or do you just sit around pontificating how things could/should be better at you favorite hill? There's more damn threads on this forum cutting ski areas down for what they do wrong, then praise for what they do right. Talk about the biting the hand that feeds you. Get out and ski! and stop the politics. Jeeze Louise.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I didn't whine or bitch, I made a list of things resorts regret. That's not complaining. Complaining is writing a paragraph on one thing that doesn't add to the discussion at all... sounds familiar does it not? And saying that we shouldn't discuss ski politics on a ski forum? What do you want us to talk about? How awesome conditions are and how right and dandy everything is in the ski world?

Personally, I think its fun to discuss skiing politics. Many on this board agree. We've been around the sport a long time and like to share and discuss our knowledge and opinions, good or bad. If you don't want to get negative or technical, don't. Posting is optional, not mandatory.

Scruffy

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I didn't whine or bitch, I made a list of things resorts regret. That's not complaining. Complaining is writing a paragraph on one thing that doesn't add to the discussion at all... sounds familiar does it not? And saying that we shouldn't discuss ski politics on a ski forum? What do you want us to talk about? How awesome conditions are and how right and dandy everything is in the ski world?

Personally, I think its fun to discuss skiing politics. Many on this board agree. We've been around the sport a long time and like to share and discuss our knowledge and opinions, good or bad. If you don't want to get negative or technical, don't. Posting is optional, not mandatory.

Like you know the resorts regrets. Whatever, have fun with your resort bashing politics. I'm sure BG will be in here before long with his EB5 shit. Me, I'd rather discuss skiing, techniques, gear, where the goods are, etc.. On TGR, you be called a douchnozzle for even bring it up, so you got that going for you.

boston_e

Funny I was actually going to call this a regret… while every resort needs good beginner areas for sure, I think one of the worst things about Killington is the gajillion traverses / dangerous intersections / interrupted trails / crossovers etc that result from having the green (now labeled as blue) trails wind down from the top disrupting other blue square and black diamond terrain.

I'd bet current K management wishes this was never done.

ss20

Funny I was actually going to call this a regret… while every resort needs good beginner areas for sure, I think one of the worst things about Killington is the gajillion traverses / dangerous intersections / interrupted trails / crossovers etc that result from having the green (now labeled as blue) trails wind down from the top disrupting other blue square and black diamond terrain.

I'd bet current K management wishes this was never done.

It was certainly a good concept, but you're right, it did cause lots of problems once skier visits started going up. Sunday River's area off the Chondola, Stratton's Tamarack area, and the trails off of Bucksaw at SL are decently sized beginner areas.

Always liked Copper's idea of having terrain that's secluded from separate ability levels. That's what beginners need- more of their own space away from the masses that use beginner trails to get to the goods.

VTKilarney

Like you know the resorts regrets. Whatever, have fun with your resort bashing politics. I'm sure BG will be in here before long with his EB5 shit. Me, I'd rather discuss skiing, techniques, gear, where the goods are, etc.. On TGR, you be called a douchnozzle for even bring it up, so you got that going for you.
The last time I checked, an Internet forum was a place to express opinions. If that's not appealing to you in the context of this thread, perhaps you should just stick to threads that aren't so upsetting. It's better than insisting on what the boundaries of the sandbox must be. If TGR is more to your liking, it's up to you where to spend your time. I hope you find happiness wherever you wind up.

Scruffy

The last time I checked, an Internet forum was a place to express opinions. If that's not appealing to you in the context of this thread, perhaps you should just stick to threads that aren't so upsetting. It's better than insisting on what the boundaries of the sandbox must be. If TGR is more to your liking, it's up to you where to spend your time. I hope you find happiness wherever you wind up.

It's disrespectful to this web site to be constantly creating threads that go on for ad nauseum bashing ski areas decisions, some of these ski area advertise here and support this site. It's not easy to run a ski resort anywhere, least in the NE USA. Why don't guys create some threads praising the good work they do so your lazy asses can be swept up the mountain on a lift and you can ski man made snow when mommy nature is having a play break.

Opinions? About a ski area's regrets? Unless your connected with the management of a resort, you don't have an opinion about their regrets, you have an opinion about your regrets. Spare me.

Me, I'm going tomorrow to a ski resort, that most love to bash here, and I'm gladly paying to have my lazy ass hauled up the mountain, and will be happy to ski on a mix on man made and natural snow. I'm happy they're there, in business, surviving in the thin margin world of ski resorts, so I can have fun.

VTKilarney

Rather than demanding censorship and usurping the role of the moderators, perhaps you should just not read this thread. Just a thought. I hope you find peace. If you believe that ski areas should be perpetually unaware of what their customers' opinions are, then this thread will make you upset.

Scruffy

You seem to think I'm upset, usurping someone's role, or demanding something... haha ... silly boy. Look, you want to continue to turn this site into Alpine Ski Politics Zone, it's on you. I've seen bigger sites than this dragged down the gutter till they finally pulled the plug, because it just became a cesspool and shell of it's former self.

And, you seem to think the resorts are hanging on your every word. That Jay Peak Bomb shell thread, which you probably have more than half the posts in is really fixing things up there, isn't it?

VTKilarney

If anyone relies on my word for most things that I say they are a fool. I've never suggested otherwise.

It boils down to this. Apparently you believe that pedantic complaining about the flavor of ski discussion in a ski forum is more important than actual ski discussion. Either that or you have extremely thin skin. Again, it's best to avoid this thread if it bothers you. It's kind of like a child learning not to touch a hot stove after experiencing pain from that stove.

If you aren't bothered, then your comments are truly irrational and you are just a troll.

abc

It's disrespectful to this web site to be constantly creating threads that go on for ad nauseum bashing ski areas decisions, some of these ski area advertise here and support this site. It's not easy to run a ski resort anywhere, least in the NE USA. Why don't guys create some threads praising the good work they do so your lazy asses can be swept up the mountain on a lift and you can ski man made snow when mommy nature is having a play break.

Opinions? About a ski area's regrets? Unless your connected with the management of a resort, you don't have an opinion about their regrets, you have an opinion about your regrets. Spare me.

Me, I'm going tomorrow to a ski resort, that most love to bash here, and I'm gladly paying to have my lazy ass hauled up the mountain, and will be happy to ski on a mix on man made and natural snow. I'm happy they're there, in business, surviving in the thin margin world of ski resorts, so I can have fun.
There're plenty of thread praising ski resorts doing thing right. You're the only one who focus on the negative ones.

You think those threads are disrespectful? Take a look at the tone of your own post!

Scruffy

"Apparently you believe that pedantic complaining about the flavor of ski discussion in a ski forum is more important than actual ski discussion." :lol: No, apparently reading comprehension is not your strong suite.

OMG ... just give it up already. And, yeah, I got it two replies ago, you're suggesting I change the channel if I don't like the show .. Thanks Pops, never occurred to me.

Have fun with this thread, it's right up your alley.

mister moose

Pretty sure the Plausteiners regret installing the HSQ at Ascutney.