• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most fun skiing experience you've ever had

BeefyBoy50

Title of the thread is the description. I've been wanting to get out and ski for days now but will probably have to wait just a bit longer. I've used up the ski movies and figured we need some new threads on here to spice things up.
Too tired right now to type a full response but I'll think of a good one tomorrow.

Cornhead

Hard for me to pin down one day. Last year's opening day at Snow Ridge was certainly memorable, 57" in 3 days, first time I ever got stuck on skis. I remember an Easter sunrise service at Stowe about 10 yrs ago, a foot overnight, the whole mountain virtually to yourself for an hour and a half until the regular customers could join the fun. Had coffee at Spruce then, and hot first tracks over there. The AZ Summit at the Loaf was pretty special during "Nemo", if you weren't there Friday, you probably weren't there Saturday, Sunday was a zoo. Oh, last May at A-basin didn't suck, 2 ft on May 20th, and I could buy weed at a store, pretty cool.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

skiNEwhere

Mammoth 2007. Made the 14 hr round trip from Oceanside after hearing about a huge storm rolling through. Had a tiny dodge neon, so I rented the best car I could, an expedition with rear wheel drive, since rental AWD is pretty much non existent in SoCal.

Made it to bishop, 45 minutes away and it was dumping buckets of rain. Went 4,000 ft higher on US 395 and it was just blower pow, all over the mtn. Since I was able to time ski patrol dropping ropes on avy terrain, I got quite a few fresh tracks.

Edd

Tough question. My first 3 day trip to Jay was amazing. I think it was over 9 years ago when the place was still pretty ramshackle-ish. It dumped just the way it was supposed to during 3 weekdays. We stayed at one of those crappy condos and I did not care. The skiing was sick. It was eye-opening.

ScottySkis

Valentine's Day 2007. One of the greatest 3-4 days northern VT ski areas have ever seen!

Catskills and NY ADK s got it to and it was fantastic I that I skiied western packed powder that weekend at Platty and Hunter. Snow was over the fences that storm.
Slc resort s 3 feet if dumping snow everyday of 10 day trip except 1 I rested than that day heaven in my head on those memories.

Scruffy

Too many to list, but they all have one thing in common, skiing with good friends! One that stands out; Alta, waist deep, High Rustler, me and a few friends, snorkel time. Another, more recent; taking a friend, who is a good skier, to MRG for his first time. Could not wipe the grin off his face for days.

Dmiller27

Skiing with my friends. Probably the time I was skiing with Deadhead and I looked at him at the top of trail and said.... "I'mmmmm Scared" LOL! The other time would have to be when I worked at Crystal Mtn. In Washington and it dumped so much that we could do back flips off our second story porch and land however we wanted. I have dreams about that day... Hoping to get to experience that again when I visit Utah in Feb.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
March 5-7 at Mount Snow 2010, 2 weeks after they got four and a half feet. I've never skied out west (or out of the region), and it was the most snow that I've ever seen. Snow was piled up to the second floor of the Snow Lake lodge. Driving on the roads was like driving through white canyons. And the skiing... 40 degree March sunshine with bluebird skis. I dropped my glove on the chairlift, and when I went to retrieve it, I took off my skis and sunk down to my waist.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Having the top of Mansfield to myself on a sunny day. Pretty cool to stand on the roof of VT with no one else on the Chin and then charge Hourglass.

Hawkshot99

The best ski experience I ever had was last winter at Powder Mtn in UT. We tok the Cat uponto Lightning Ridge, and ski the trees around "Last Resort" chute. There was not epic deep powder, but it was mostly un-tracked through the woods.

One of my buddies had his GoPro going, but I barely made it into his filming as we each went our own seperate ways down. Personaly that may have been for the better. IN MY MIND, I looked just like you see in the big time ski movies. Slow motion, effortlessly carving through the forest having the powder chute up at you at times. It is a memory I will hold onto forever, and a vid of it could make me truly know what I actually looked like....

The part of the run, I do wish I had a vid of was down below the trees were it opened up into a bowl. I hit a small lip and something went wrong on the landing. I crashed hard, flipping head over heals several times down the mtn. There was no pain from the crash, as I stood up laughing, only to realize I now had to hike quite a ways back up through some deep snow.

catsup948

17 years old ripping Taos in 18 inches of desert powder! Late February 2010, Xwhaler, myself and various others charging, hucking, and slaying the shit out of Saddleback after Snowicane storm. Unreal.

dlague

Jay Peak about three seasons ago when they got a 51" dump at the start of our kids vacation week!

Scruffy

The best ski experience I ever had was last winter at Powder Mtn in UT. We tok the Cat uponto Lightning Ridge, and ski the trees around "Last Resort" chute. There was not epic deep powder, but it was mostly un-tracked through the woods.

One of my buddies had his GoPro going, but I barely made it into his filming as we each went our own seperate ways down. Personaly that may have been for the better. IN MY MIND, I looked just like you see in the big time ski movies. Slow motion, effortlessly carving through the forest having the powder chute up at you at times. It is a memory I will hold onto forever, and a vid of it could make me truly know what I actually looked like....

The part of the run, I do wish I had a vid of was down below the trees were it opened up into a bowl. I hit a small lip and something went wrong on the landing. I crashed hard, flipping head over heals several times down the mtn. There was no pain from the crash, as I stood up laughing, only to realize I now had to hike quite a ways back up through some deep snow.

I've done that same run. That cat skiing is so cool at Powder Mt., so cheap, low key, and underrated. I hit it whenever I'm there.

Dmiller27

I've done that same run. That cat skiing is so cool at Powder Mt., so cheap, low key, and underrated. I hit it whenever I'm there.

I am heading out that way this Feb. for a week long trip. Do you guys mind sharing a link to the company you used? I'd love to look into doing this.

Scruffy

BenedictGomez

Ironically, the best ski experience I've had was a 3 day trip in the Catskills, at Hunter. I don't remember the year (1996 maybe?), but they got hit with a 3 foot storm.

What made it special is we left late, only after the storm track was obvious that the Cats would be the winner, and a state of emergency had been declared to stay off the roads (this was back when declaring a S.O.E. actually meant something as opposed to now when they do it for 2 inches of snow), which we ignored. The drive was hellacious, but the timing of that storm was perfect in that by the time we arrived at the Motel the roads were truly not passable. It made the next day a ski-on, all day untracked, private powder day. The following day was fairly empty too, and it wasn't until the last day that people started showing up.