• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback Maine - December 20

salsgang

There is a crazy amount of snow up at Saddleback and much like all the resorts in Northern New England, Saturday was an epic winter day to be outside.

Our ski day consisted of stellar skiing, NO WIND, beautiful views, snow making Rainbows (Snowbows) and hearing of a Loon rescue on the slopes of Saddleback.

More words, pics, ski video on the blog and below is a pic of a "Snowbow" looking up Blue Devil.

Blog URL - http://www.maineskifamily.com/2014/12/beautiful-day-at-saddleback-maine.html

Merry Christmas Everyone!

10002928_10204192486785241_1817629088905669456_n.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Oh man. I was choosing between Sugarbush and SB and had decided on bush. Maybe I should change my mind. :blink:

p.s., nice editing. Too bad today is the shortest day of the year.... I can't decide 3 hours to bush or 5 hours to Rangeley...

Last edited:

salsgang

Oh man. I was choosing between Sugarbush and SB and had decided on bush. Maybe I should change my mind. :blink:

p.s., nice editing. Too bad today is the shortest day of the year.... I can't decide 3 hours to bush or 5 hours to Rangeley...

When you are you thinking of going? Tomorrow?

salsgang

Haha I would love to join you. Gotta work tho. I would say Saddleback of course but I do think it will be really, really good. And IF they open the Upper Quad tomorrow, there is a whole upper mountain of untracked out there. I know they are trying to open the Kennabago before Xmas. Not sure exactly when it will happen tho. Maybe I can find out.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Haha I would love to join you. Gotta work tho. I would say Saddleback of course but I do think it will be really, really good. And IF they open the Upper Quad tomorrow, there is a whole upper mountain of untracked out there. I know they are trying to open the Kennabago before Xmas. Not sure exactly when it will happen tho. Maybe I can find out.
Oh, you are killing me. That five hour drive is a killer for one overnighter. I'm going to see if I can charter a jet! ;)

bigbog

Oh, you are killing me. That five hour drive is a killer for one overnighter. I'm going to see if I can charter a jet! ;)

Bill,
FWIW..to sack out..

1)back in Stratton(on #16)=lodging (Stratton H/Motel, Tranquility Lodge..a little more $$ but nice....converted barn;-)..~50yds towards Eustis)
OR
2)#4 to Farmington..there's 1)a motel just out of town...east on #2, ~2 miles. Another 4-5mi drive to #27south @New Sharon,which is ~24mi to I-95....
OR
3) Mount Blue Motel..a few miles south on #2 out of Farmington(on the east side of #2)..

Last edited:

salsgang

Saddleback just posted on Facebook that the Kennabago Quad open tomorrow. Not sure what trails they will have open but keep an eye on their website trail report.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Wow - Saddleback 100% open today. I am chained to my desk unfortunately. Hope someone was able to partake in the goodness.

I received a phone call from my buddy on the Rangeley Double who in essence called to gloat how great it was. So, yes: we missed a good one. -- and he went on to say, that the natural snow is deep enough, that they'll get through the "Satan Claus" storm OK.

salsgang

I received a phone call from my buddy on the Rangeley Double who in essence called to gloat how great it was. So, yes: we missed a good one. -- and he went on to say, that the natural snow is deep enough, that they'll get through the "Satan Claus" storm OK.

Yup they be buried. Glad your buddy went and got some!