• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 12/21/14

hammer

Date(s) Skied: 12-21-2014

Resort or Ski Area:
Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions:
Loose granular, manmade, early season. Cloudy with flurries later in the morning

Trip Report:
Had a good first day of the season at Wachusett. Got on the slopes about 8:30 and stayed until about 12:30. Purchased tickets online for $29/each, couldn't beat it.

All lifts were going and there were two ways down from the Minuteman Quad (Challenger and Ralph's Run) and three ways down the from the Polar Express (Conifer, 10th, and Smith Walton). Smith was just opened up the day before and it was a bit firmer than the other trails, but all trails had plenty of loose granular manmade snow for early season. There were some icy patches underneath but nothing that was tough to deal with. Lines were at most a few minutes at any given time and many times it was practically ski-on. It did get more crowded by about lunchtime but we had done enough by then and we had other stuff to get done in the afternoon.

They were making snow on Look Mom under the Minuteman lift and I think Hitchcock as well.

Here are a few pictures from the day.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141221_084456.jpg
    20141221_084456.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20141221_094445.jpg
    20141221_094445.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG1268.jpg
    IMAG1268.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG1275.jpg
    IMAG1275.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 94

prsboogie

Smith got skied off after lunch skiers right was best choice down. Same with conifer and 10th. The constant flurry was a nice touch for the first day of winter

hammer

One other weird thing happened during the day...

After lunch we went out to the ski rack and I found that my poles were missing (skis were locked). After looking around for a few minutes I spotted a group of people taking pictures, and the person posing for a picture had someone else's snowboard and my poles. I called out to them and got my poles back, but I didn't know whether to give them a hard time for borrowing my gear without asking or to tell them that snowboarders don't use poles.