• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Holiday Cheer- Egg Nog, or Egg No No?

ctenidae

Let's get down to the important things, as we head towards Christmas and the multi-generational family-induced need for a libation, tipple, or dram.

Do you like egg nog?
Do you make or buy?
Cooker, or raw?
Bourbon, or rum?

My wife's family enjoys a Polish drink called (phonetically) "eye-ya cognac" which is basically high-proof shelf stable egg nog. We have a bottle of Italian stuff that is basically the same, bought about 3 years ago and never opened. Might break that open, but also thinking of making some egg nog to have alongside a few gallons of Bourbon Spice Rack.

Thinking cooked, so the kiddies can have some (unspiked, of course, unless absolutely necessary). Anybody have a favorite recipe?

Glenn

Beer. I always buy Guinness around Christmas. I don't drink it much during the year, but it's a must this time of year. And a random craft beer or two. I still have some Heady Topper left from a trip to Burlington in late September.

drjeff

Egg Nog, store bought, add in a liberal amount of Bourbon (or maybe if my father in law is in control of Egg Nog distribution at my house, add a touch of egg nog to just ever so slightly flavor a big glass of Bourbon ;) ) and then a dash of nutmeg on top

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I have heard that egg nog was originally raw eggs, whiskey, brandy and sugar but by adding cream it was thereby ruined.

This from a book in the Project Gutenburg "Dishes & Beverages of the Old South" by Martha McCulloch Williams published in 1913

Have all ingredients, eggs, sugar, brandy, and whiskey, thoroughly chilled before beginning, and work very, very quickly. Beat the yolks of eighteen eggs very light with six cups of granulated sugar, added a cup at a time. When frothy and pale yellow, beat in gradually and alternately a glassful at a time, a quart of mellow old whiskey, and a quart of real French brandy. Whip hard, then add the whites of the eggs beaten till they stick to the dish. Grate nutmeg over the top, and rub the rims of the serving glasses with lemon or orange rind cut into the fruit. The glasses should be ice-cold, also the spoons. Fill carefully so as not to slop the sides, and serve at once.

I don't celebrate Christmas but for those who insist:

If wanted for an early morning Christmas celebration, beat up yolks and sugar the night before, stand on ice along with the liquor, and keep the unbeaten whites likewise very cold. At morning freshen the yolks a little, then add the liquor, and at last the whites newly frothed. This is the only simon-pure Christmas egg nog. Those who put into it milk, cream, what not, especially rum, defile one of the finest delights.

Last edited:

ctenidae

We baked some ,packaged "eggnog" cookies tonight. They taste just like eggnog, or, at least, the common, expected flavor of eggnog. Then it struck me- there is nothing whatsoever at all in real eggnog that tastes anything at all like packaged eggnog. Now I really want o make some to see.

snoseek

I used to not like eggnog and then I made some real stuff for passing for a holiday banquet. Big difference and yes I do like homemade, really fresh as its light and frothy. Perfect shooters for a party. I like it with dark rum.