• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's it like skiing in the rain?

BillyGoat

I have never skied in the rain. Was going to go to Belleayre tomorrow....does it suck?

DoublePlanker

If you can deal with wetness, it usually skis pretty good. The snow is usually soft. Fog/visibility can sometimes an issue.

WoodCore

Love skiing in the rain! Find yourself a place with covered uphill access (Gondola, Tram, Bubble) a decent set of water resistant clothing and go for it! The snow is hero like and you've got it all to yourself!

its great. Get a garbage bag and cut holes in it. Bring a complete change of ski clothes so you can do 2 sessions.

BillyGoat

Thanks 180, WoodCore, DoublePlanker and darent....I'm convinced and I'm going! cheers!

Cornhead

Love skiing in the rain! Find yourself a place with covered uphill access (Gondola, Tram, Bubble) a decent set of water resistant clothing and go for it! The snow is hero like and you've got it all to yourself!

This, love skiing in the rain, the chairlift rides on the other hand, suck. I have a fantasy of skiing Mt Snow in the rain, conducting safety meetings in the bubble chair. Have they come up with a cute pot related name yet for the bubble chair? In the vein of the ganjala.

Had a great day in the rain at Elk this year. Was looking forward to skiing my new skis all week. My home hill didn't open on a Saturday, so I headed to Elk. They sold 13 lift tickets that day. There were quite a few Elk employees on the hill, and ski patrol was performing rescue drills. They far outnumbered the regular customers on the hill.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

WWF-VT

Skking in the rain is why you wear Gore Tex. Have extra gloves because cold and wet hands suck.

crank

BS. SKiing in the rain is wet and miserable.

drjeff

This, love skiing in the rain, the chairlift rides on the other hand, suck. I have a fantasy of skiing Mt Snow in the rain, conducting safety meetings in the bubble chair. Have they come up with a cute pot related name yet for the bubble chair? In the vein of the ganjala.

Had a great day in the rain at Elk this year. Was looking forward to skiing my new skis all week. My home hill didn't open on a Saturday, so I headed to Elk. They sold 13 lift tickets that day. There were quite a few Elk employees on the hill, and ski patrol was performing rescue drills. They far outnumbered the regular customers on the hill.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Surprisingly enough, the Bluebird at Mount Snow has stayed relatively smoke free. Thew combo of some aggressive enforcement of the no smoking rule with video monitoring at both the base and summit and usually some ambassadors stationed at the summit or even issue a fine if damage to the bubble has occurred combined with the pride that many of us Mount Snow regulars have about keeping the Bluebird in as good a shape as possible has kept so many of the pre thought "vandalism" concerns that many thought would happen from doing so.

As for the Bluebird in the rain, I love it! I can usually grab 25 runs on it on a Saturday or Sunday by 2PM or so, including taking an hour lunch break with my kids. Just getting out of the rain for the 7 minute ride makes a huge difference. On a rainy day, when there's often less than a 3 or 4 chair wait, I can usually grab 5 runs an hour, which has me under the bubble for about 35 minutes out of every hour! That plus full gore-tex attire and what is usually some GREAT soft snow makes me actual enjoy rainy days on the mountain!

abc

BS. SKiing in the rain is wet and miserable.
The key is the wet part. If you can stay dry, the snow is great!

Granted, not even Gore-tex can keep you dry for a whole day. But it does a much better job at keeping you dry the longest. With the right gear, you get to enjoy the skiing long enough to appreciate it!

Quietman

Thank you for the laugh, that was good!! Just got home from working in the rain/snow.

steamboat1

I'm not a fan of skiing in the rain. If it's raining before I buy a lift ticket that ticket won't be purchased. If I already purchased a ticket & it starts raining I'll try to tolerate it for as long as possible but once my jacket or pants get soaked through my day is over. I lose a few days skiing while up in ski country every year because of rain. Already lost one this year.

Bumpsis

I'm not a fan of skiing in the rain. Yeah, the snow feel is fine but the chair ride really sucks. I did the garbage bag session once and it's just no for me. You really do get wet and cold, no matter what. I just really don't like rain and just about any outdoor activity. Couple of exceptions: surfing and kayaking. You're wet either way so the rain doesn't matter.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
In my younger days, rain was often a plus:
1. It eliminated lift-lines in an era where weekend liftlines were between 15 and 45 minutes.
2. In a "minimal grooming era", any iciness became edgeable.

Today, I routinely ski at my home area if the lifts are spinning on a daily basis regardless of the weather - but I tend to cherry pick my travels away from my home area.

KevinF

I've found skiing in the rain to be ok; the snow is soft, but you are getting wet and cold.

My gloves get soaked through first and once my hands start being miserable, well, the rest of me follows shortly. I've seen some people skiing in kitchen dishwashing gloves -- those will keep your hands dry for sure. Might have to try that next time.

drjeff

I've found skiing in the rain to be ok; the snow is soft, but you are getting wet and cold.

My gloves get soaked through first and once my hands start being miserable, well, the rest of me follows shortly. I've seen some people skiing in kitchen dishwashing gloves -- those will keep your hands dry for sure. Might have to try that next time.

Skiing in the rain has taught me that there IS a significant difference in articles of ski clothing that are listed as water RESISTANT verses articles of clothing that are listed as WATERPROOF!

With water resistant fabrics its only a question of how long it takes for water to permeate through the fabric and you start getting damp/wet :(

With waterproof fabrics, generally speaking unless its a total long duration monsoon or YOU give the water a path of ingress (such as not fully securing a cuff) you're staying dry.

There is a difference!