• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's it like skiing in the rain?

Cornhead

Had a great day at Greek Peak today in the drizzle, demo day, Blizzard Bonafide, and Rossi Soul 7 were the skis of the day for me, both loved to lay down fast, wide turns. Soul 7's were 188, but didn't feel that long, looked like they might even float my fat ass in powder. Hero snow, and hero ice, at GP today, fun day, bumps were yummy later in the day too, Spring conditions. Trouble seeing through the fog at times, but not terrible.

abc

What kind of adventure was that?
Nothing special, just another rainy day, alternating between downpour and drizzle.

I've never skied in any kind of NCP (from above) before, believing it must be a miserable experience. But that day, it was kind of warmish, (also a free pass, nothing to lose) I got talked into skiing in that (what I thought) "wet cr@p"

To my utter surprise, the snow was fantastic and the skiing was amazingly good!

What an eye opener!!!

jrmagic

Nothing special, just another rainy day, alternating between downpour and drizzle.

I've never skied in any kind of NCP (from above) before, believing it must be a miserable experience. But that day, since it was kind of warmish, I got talked into skiing in that (what I thought) "wet cr@p"

To my utter surprise, the snow was fantastic and the skiing was amazingly good!

What an eye opener!!!

I misunderstood. I thought there may be a comical story buried in your adventure. The snow can be phenomenal when it's raining as long as it's not coming down in buckets. I certainly would prefer it not rain but it rarely keeps me off the snow.

abc

I misunderstood. I thought there may be a comical story buried in your adventure.
I felt comical enough, skiing in a garbage bag. :)

But yeah, it's totally worth it. Now, I only buy gear that are waterproof, knowing I'll ski in the rain in the future.

tekweezle

Skiing in the rain provided there was good cover already is not as bad as skiing on rock hard death cookies after a freeze on a bluebird day.

Sent from a Freedompop HTC Evo 4G

Savemeasammy

At suicide six yesterday in the freezing drizzle, my wife and I wanted to head home before the roads got too icy. I rode the lift with my 5 year old and told him it was our last run because it was raining. He told me that he would like to keep skiing even though it was raining! The only issue we were having was wet goggles. Otherwise it was comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrmagic

At suicide six yesterday in the freezing drizzle, my wife and I wanted to head home before the roads got too icy. I rode the lift with my 5 year old and told him it was our last run because it was raining. He told me that he would like to keep skiing even though it was raining! The only issue we were having was wet goggles. Otherwise it was comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's awesome! When it rains mine look at me like I have 3 heads when I ask them if they are coming out to ski though one day earlier this season they were out before it started and did 5 or 6 runs with the intensity picking up each run until it was coming down pretty hard and we all bailed for the day.

abc

Proper gear has a lot to do with the enjoyment of it.

I've skied in rain briefly before, usually on days starting out dry and bailing after the rain got through my non-waterproof clothing. It's not a nice feeling of cold water next to the skin. The more waterproof my clothing gets, the longer I stay out...

Still, I never purposely plan to ski when the forecast called for steady rain, until that day in May last year. And it changed my impression of skiing in the rain so much now I'm taking steps to embrace it (aka, replacing my worn clothing with waterproof ones).