• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/25-26/14 Weather

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
You guys are talking like it's April and the snowpack will disappear forever. Doesn't this happen (a couple times) every year in the Northeast?

Tim Kelley NECN @SurfSkiWxMan
Feel of Florida in New England Christmas Eve & Morning. Mild Fri-Sat. Then a Nor'easter parade, 1-3 storms next wk Feel of Arctic New Year's

Savemeasammy

Hopefully this is our January thaw, and things get good and stay that way afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Has the Weather Channel given this storm a lame name yet? If not, I vote for Smaug.

Merry Christmas!
WinterStormSmaug_zps64dd18f6.jpg

bzrperfspec77

Haha the desolation of smaug... Great analogy. Here having a Christmas eve beer getting ready to plan out my smuggs trip after the 1st with my brother! Here's to hoping a little backside of the storm snow and cold! Merry Christmas everyone

ScottySkis

You guys are talking like it's April and the snowpack will disappear forever. Doesn't this happen (a couple times) every year in the Northeast?

I agree with you and did enjoy myself a lot because this stuff happens every year. But I think it issue more now because if the extended holiday week when this happens and probably a lot of people who go the hill s a few times in winter this was very depressing for them and for ski and snowboarding hills about to louse lot of money so that means less improvements for over summer or worse.

catsup948

Was this storm really that bad? It got very warm last and it is very mild now. But the wind and pouring rain seemed lesser than I thought it would be.

yeggous

I am leaning toward Cranmore tomorrow. The lower elevation may keep it soft.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

VTKilarney

Was this storm really that bad? It got very warm last and it is very mild now. But the wind and pouring rain seemed lesser than I thought it would be.
Burke went from 31 trails to 8. It was bad for my neck of the woods.

4aprice

Burke went from 31 trails to 8. It was bad for my neck of the woods.

The best news I've read, was from Powderfreak on American, is that the snow pack in the Stowe survived the Grinch Storm. At least we are not starting over from scratch. Cold air looks to be on the horizon, and things should get better.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

JimG.

Staff member
I agree with you and did enjoy myself a lot because this stuff happens every year. But I think it issue more now because if the extended holiday week when this happens and probably a lot of people who go the hill s a few times in winter this was very depressing for them and for ski and snowboarding hills about to louse lot of money so that means less improvements for over summer or worse.

Seems to happen every year lately.

mriceyman

The best news I've read, was from Powderfreak on American, is that the snow pack in the Stowe survived the Grinch Storm. At least we are not starting over from scratch. Cold air looks to be on the horizon, and things should get better.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Great news!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

abc

This is the northeast. The thaw happens every year but at different times each year. So statistically, it happens during the holiday period once every few years.

As for the mountains losing income, they knew it happens once every few years. But they always operate as though it will not happen THIS year! Well... it's no good wishing it never happens. It will, it's just a matter of which year. If it's not this one, it'll be next one or the one after that. Just like it WILL snow most years in the flat lands too.

So while I'm somewhat sympathetic of the mountains luck, I also feel like saying "you know it's coming, deal with it".

tekweezle

Skiing seemed to be above average right up until 12-24. Hope some of you were able to enjoy it. The resorts will bounce back as this happens every season. Most people don't even consider skiing before January anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

bigbog

Had a Christmas mid-afternoon dinner today over in Kingfield area, then a hike and eventually...a spin up around the mountain. Their temps didn't rise that drastically....think some of the rain/freezing rain hung onto the trees over on Brackett...closed for a day or few, but conditions didn't look like it changed that much....