• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski pole recommendations

Edd

My ski poles are so beat up it's ridiculous. Some frozen crust ripped off a basket at Wildcat recently so they're looking kind of sad. Anyone have a strong recommendation? Adjustables would be nice.

twinplanx

Google, composite ski poles. There are plenty of choices, choose the ones that fit your budget/needs.

Edd

Indeed, yes, I have a passing familiarity with Googling things. I was looking for recommendations from AZ members. Some feel strongly about a product they've purchased. Although, it's tough to get excited about ski poles.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The poles I have been using thus far this season I actually bought for really cheap at Wildcat. Only brand they had in the shop, Swix I think (in car). $30 and they work great.

skiNEwhere

Yea, I don't notice a difference in poles, I feel like they are there for mental rather than physical reasons.

Bought some 50" swix aluminum poles at the ski expo. Only thing I care about is attachable powder baskets

deadheadskier

Staff member
That would be the only deficiency in the poles I got. They would be better with powder baskets. That really only bothers me when I'm really shoving down on a pole while traversing in soft snow. While skiing downhill the race baskets don't bother me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually Edd, I've got a set of I believe 48" Scott poles in great shape. They're all yours if you want them. Too long for my liking. I prefer clown poles.

Brad J

I have Swix composite pole for groomer days , very light and good swing weight, and Soul bamboo pole with powder baskets for soft days and natural snow trails a little heavy but tough as hell. Deadheadskier's poles sound like the offer to take if 48"is right

Scruffy

If you like your poles, The baskets should be replaceable.

I bought a pair of Goody Carbon poles ~20 years ago, they're still trucking. Good in the bumps. I replaced the baskets a few times. For back country or out west, I have a pair of adjustable Black Diamond Flint lock poles with powder baskets.

If you go adjustable, don't get the twist lock type, they usually don't hold position, get the lever lock or flint lock type.

Edd

Actually Edd, I've got a set of I believe 48" Scott poles in great shape. They're all yours if you want them. Too long for my liking. I prefer clown poles.

No, but thanks very much. I use 50" which is obviously close but I'm thinking pure carbon if I'm going to bother with it. My current poles are aluminum and a friend gave those to me. I'd like to feel the lighter swing weight. Getting old.

Scruffy

Go with Carbon, it's more than the swing weight. Take an aluminum pole and stab the ground, you'll feel all the vibrations right up to you hand and arm. Take a carbon fiber pole and do the same thing, it absorbs the shocks. May seem like a small thing, but after a day of pole planting it adds up. I do understand that most times your suppose to be just tapping the snow lightly with the pole, but there are time when an assertive pole plant is necessary.

Edd

Go with Carbon, it's more than the swing weight. Take an aluminum pole and stab the ground, you'll feel all the vibrations right up to you hand and arm. Take a carbon fiber pole and do the same thing, it absorbs the shocks. May seem like a small thing, but after a day of pole planting it adds up. I do understand that most times your suppose to be just tapping the snow lightly with the pole, but there are time when an assertive pole plant is necessary.

Yeah, that sells it for me. I also read something about less wind resistance, which must be a matter of the diameter.

Edd

We will too. There's a 5PM show at the Church. One of the members of the Carolina Chocolate Drops. Should be good.

jack97

clown pole adjusters,

attachment.php

Attachments

• 366e4f8b-8d45-463f-b893-8b169864e25c_300.jpg
    366e4f8b-8d45-463f-b893-8b169864e25c_300.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 100

Savemeasammy

My poles (aluminum) have always ended up bending at the bottom, so I would love a pair of poles that would absorb more of the shock. Is there a reason that carbon absorbs the shock better than aluminum?

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app