• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Going snowboarding in January - Need advice

adamw

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip next week to go snowboarding somewhere in North America and would really appreciate some advice budget and equipment wise. Right now I am staying in downtown Chicago so there aren't too many slopes near me but I don't mind travelling to Canada/Colorado/etc for this trip.

I'd like to keep the expenses as low as possible and the number of snowboarding days as high as possible (don't we all), but right now I'm thinking $1500-2500 USD as the absolute maximum. I'll be going with my brother and we're both beginners (I've snowboarded for two days in the Swiss Alps with an instructor, fairly comfortable with blue trails - brother is a complete beginner).

I've taken a look at the rental prices also, and it seems that renting a full set (boots + board + bindings) for a week would easily cost about $250, which after a simple Google search shows that an entry level set would cost about $300. Should I just buy the set instead of renting?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Like driving? If you're with your brother and want to do it cheap to save money for skiing, drive to Breckenridge, CO (never been, but its been praised for its beginner and intermediate terrain). From Chicago to Breck should be 18 hours? Divvy it up into a two day road trip semi-cross country. For a couple hundred dollars more than renting for the week you could get your own gear and use it for years. You'll get good deals online, or stop at a ski shop on the way. No hotel in ski country is cheap, but I'm sure you can find a decent place in Breckenridge for under $100 a night. A week of lift tickets is gonna be at least $600. If you do it right, that'll be your biggest expense.

I hope the $2500 dollar limit is per person. If you did it my way, it'd be around $2000 alone on lift tickets plus hotel (this is a bare minimum). And then you have gas (don't even think about flying with that budget), food (a big expense many people don't think about), and extra's like a second pair of gloves, boot warmers (highly recommended), and that thing that will inevitably break during your trip.

adamw

By plane or bus actually. Unfortunately, it's abut $2500 for both of us. How many days on the slopes do you reckon we could squeeze in while keeping everything else as low as possible?

ScottySkis

Utah cheap and cheap suite motel 6/with kinchette can be rented out for about 400$/for 10 days stay in Sandy and take bus pick you up from hotel an hour on the bus each way. Buy super pass good st 4 mountain s by SLC, Brighton ,Alta, snowbird, and Solitude. Then sometimes get lucky and get lot of snow while there

adamw

Utah cheap and cheap suite motel 6/with kinchette can be rented out for about 400$/for 10 days stay in Sandy and take bus pick you up from hotel an hour on the bus each way. Buy super pass good st 4 mountain s by SLC, Brighton ,Alta, snowbird, and Solitude. Then sometimes get lucky and get lot of snow while there

Sweet Utah does seem a lot more cost-friendly. What do you think about slopes in Utah vs Vermont?

Savemeasammy

Check liftopia for ticket prices. Go somewhere under the radar to keep costs down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mriceyman

Sweet Utah does seem a lot more cost-friendly. What do you think about slopes in Utah vs Vermont?

Utah vs vermont is like six flags vs boardwalk amusements... U can have a great time at both but one is triple the size

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

adamw

I'm leaning towards Utah at the moment, but the reason I even considered Vermont is because Killington has a season pass for college students for only $419. If we get this (budget permitting..will have to double check) we may be able to return over spring break especially since we are so close. What do you guys think? The size of the resort isn't a huge factor since we will likely be riding blues though the scenic view is certainly appreciated.

Savemeasammy

Cheap season passes for college students are a dime a dozen. You may be able to find a cheaper one out west somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamboat1

I'm leaning towards Utah at the moment, but the reason I even considered Vermont is because Killington has a season pass for college students for only $419. If we get this (budget permitting..will have to double check) we may be able to return over spring break especially since we are so close. What do you guys think? The size of the resort isn't a huge factor since we will likely be riding blues though the scenic view is certainly appreciated.
I'm sure you're aware the Killington college pass is also good for Pico, Okemo & Sunapee too. That's a lot of skiing/boarding.

skiNEwhere

If you brought this up earlier in the year, you could've bought an epic pass for $549 that has unlimited skiing at breck, keystone, and arapahoe basin, and 10 days at Vail and Beaver Creek. It's no longer for sale though this year. Just a FYI for next year.

I do agree with Breck, I'd get an instructor though for the first day, breck can be a nightmare for a snowboarder to navigate since there are a lot of traverses.

adamw

It seems like most of these passes aren't available anymore unfortunately (that Epic pass looks awesome). Which resorts do you guys recommend in Utah? I've already checked out the Super 5 Day pass at Brighton/Snowbird/Solitude and dailies at Snowbasin, both of which are within my budget if I stay at a shady Motel 6 as someone earlier suggested.

Also as far as equipment goes, I think I'll be looking to purchase my own set since rental prices are so similar. Do you recommend I buy it in-person or online? Prices will probably be better online, but I'm not familiar with the sizes/technical details that I should be looking for, also it has less than a week to arrive. Is $300-400 okay per person for a starter's set (board + bindings + boots)?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It seems like most of these passes aren't available anymore unfortunately (that Epic pass looks awesome). Which resorts do you guys recommend in Utah? I've already checked out the Super 5 Day pass at Brighton/Snowbird/Solitude and dailies at Snowbasin, both of which are within my budget if I stay at a shady Motel 6 as someone earlier suggested.

Also as far as equipment goes, I think I'll be looking to purchase my own set since rental prices are so similar. Do you recommend I buy it in-person or online? Prices will probably be better online, but I'm not familiar with the sizes/technical details that I should be looking for, also it has less than a week to arrive. Is $300-400 okay per person for a starter's set (board + bindings + boots)?

You'd be better off at one of the Park City resorts than the 5 day Super Pass. Each of those resorts is hard to get to and far away from everything. In Park City you'll be able to walk everywhere, and there's a shuttle to and from the airport in SLC. The terrain is also easier and groomed more than the Cottonwood Canyon resorts.

Since this if your first time buying, I'd go to the ski shop so that there's someone to tell you what you really need. $300-$400 is really low. Ask if there's some used stuff you could buy.

dmw

I think you could get a board and bindings in that price range, especially used or on sale. I don't think you'll get boots as well in that price range. Maybe 4-500 though if you find deals. Boots, definitely try in person.

elks

Based on budget and skill level, I would also weigh whether skiing close to home makes sense and shifting some budget towards ski lessons. Yes, Utah and Colorado are great, but a complete beginner and a skier with two days under his belt is not going to explore the good stuff that Utah has to offer and getting to those places is going to be eat up your budget. I know Chicago is not a great ski region, but there are a lot of smaller resorts, which could keep you busy for every weekend until the end of the season. A lot of people learn to ski at modest resorts and have a lot of fun doing so! Just a thought.

adamw

Based on budget and skill level, I would also weigh whether skiing close to home makes sense and shifting some budget towards ski lessons. Yes, Utah and Colorado are great, but a complete beginner and a skier with two days under his belt is not going to explore the good stuff that Utah has to offer and getting to those places is going to be eat up your budget. I know Chicago is not a great ski region, but there are a lot of smaller resorts, which could keep you busy for every weekend until the end of the season. A lot of people learn to ski at modest resorts and have a lot of fun doing so! Just a thought.

I definitely hear ya, actually I considered just finding a resort near me to learn/practice and then going farther once we get decent. After looking at the prices though, since we don't drive, a train to Wisconsin is the same as a plane to Utah and the only difference from there on out (assuming equal lodging...we might use AirBnB or a cheap resort) would be $10-20/day on lift tickets. Right now my cheapest option is actually Snowbasin in Utah, do you guys have experience with that place? Brighton/Snowbird/Solitude would be $200 more over the course of the trip, which is affordable but do you think it's worth it?

ScottySkis

Snowbasin was awesome . I only did 2 days their. Olympics where held there and they out a lot of money into the lodge and lifts and bathroom and snowmaking great mountain .

elks

Right now my cheapest option is actually Snowbasin in Utah, do you guys have experience with that place? Brighton/Snowbird/Solitude would be $200 more over the course of the trip, which is affordable but do you think it's worth it?

Utah is awesome all around. Can't really go wrong. Snowbasin is one of the resorts that is out of the way so keep that in mind. It's about 90 minutes from the airport.

What I've done many times is set up base in downtown Salt Lake City and then go up to different resorts every day. You can easily hit Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, Solitude, Park City, Deer Valley, or Canyons. (Alta and Deer Valley don't allow snowboarders though.) The closest resorts is within 25 minutes from downtown and the furthest maybe 45 minutes. The best/cheapest option is likely to set up base at the mouth of Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons where there are many cheaper motel options and take the bus up to Alta, Snowbird, Brighton or Solitude on a daily basis. Brighton has a lot of options for intermediate skiers/riders and is beloved by snowboarders. Look for lodging in Midvale or Sandy. You'll be 10 miles from the resorts and some hotels in Midvale and Salt Lake City are on the city bus route to the resorts. Utah is an amazing place and the most convenient in terms of access to the mountains from the airport/downtown.

mikestaple

Punt. Get your brothers skills up at Cascade or Alpine Valley. Then move up to the "bigger" UPer hills. Go out west after that.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone