• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ranks?

Should we keep member rankings in this forum?

• No. They can intimidate newcomers and hold very little value.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Just looking for feedback on ranks. Do you like/dislike forum member ranking? Why/Why not? Here are the current ranks:

Flatlander - 0-4 posts -
0_azpeak.gif

Trailie - 5-49 posts -
1_azpeak.gif

Treeliner - 50-99 posts -
2_azpeak.gif

Ridge Ranger - 100-499 posts -
3_azpeak.gif

Peak Master- 500-999 posts -
4_azpeak.gif

AlpineZone Authority - 1000+ posts -
5_azpeak.gif

Some of the rank titles are a bit corney. If I decide to keep them, anyone have any new suggestions? They shouldn't be skiing or hiking-specific.

Greg

Staff member
Stephen said:
I would be in favor of removing the named ranks and just having the AZ logo bar.
This could be a good compromise. Thoughts?

MtnMagic

I like the first four names. The last 2 are a bit iffy (What the others said). Particularly, having the most posts do not necessarily make one and expert with skiing or hiker knowledge. You just are very good at posting more than others.

Every bb I ever visited (on any subject) keeps track of the number of posts. I strongly feel this number is more important over the title one receives.

For example, if any question is asked wouldn't people with more posts be trusted over a person with only a few posts. I have always felt this way.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I'll second what Magic said. I like the first four names and their associated post counts. The last two names are a little cheesy, IMHO. How about these:

Peak Master = Been there, done that, got the t-shirt
AlpineZone Authority = Needs AlpineZone Addiction Intervention (sorry Greg! :D :D :D )

ChileMass

Are newbies really that intimidated by joining up a new online group? That surprises me. Guess it's just not my style. If the counters/numbers do intimidate newcomers, I think Stephen's suggestion (just the logo bars that grow as posting increases) is a good one.

Greg

Staff member
Based on some of the comments here, I've decided to hide the rank titles for now. In the event that we can come up with some really cool new ones, I can easily re-enable them. I agree rank title 4, and 5 (and even 3) are pretty corney. I think flatlander is pretty funny, although I have received PMs from newcomers asking why they were labeled that, especially since "they've lived or played in the mountains for years"... :lol:

I think Trailie and Treeliner are pretty unique too. I'd love to come up with two or three clever single word rank titles for the higher ranks. I've considered the following:
  • Peakbagger (denotes hiking though and the rank titles should be generic enough to cover both AZ activities)
  • Summiteer (the actual definition is one who attends a summit meeting, but we can create our own def, right?)
  • Addict, or Peak Addict, or AZ Addict (corney again, I know. I'm out of ideas...)
Feel free to make suggestions!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
If someone other than Greg hits 1,000 posts, they deserve a corny title.

Even 500 - Stephen's close but he automagically gets "moderator", so for the very few that will eventually get it (MtnMagic? ChileMass? myself?) it can be somewhat grain-of-salt.

I just checked - Joshua's at 488. He should definitely merit some "title abuse" at the 500 mark.
:D

MtnMagic

I still like the first 4. It's 5 & 6 that are iffy. Although I can't think of any good original names, I like peakbagger (over master) way better.

To me, summiteer implies peak bagging but does mean one who gathers at a summit (meaning discussion) Yes, peakbagger

Isn't 5 names enough?

Greg

Staff member
I'm actually starting to like Summiteer as the five peak rank title. Some other ideas: Escalader, Adventurer, View Junkie...

ChileMass

How about using favorite trail names:

Goat
Starr
Ovation
Narrow Gauge
Walking Boss
Blueberry
Bunny

etc....... :D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
SilentCal brings up an interesting point that the rankings are pretty much geared towards hiking and not skiing despite AZ's dichotomy of outdoor mountain activities. how about "Mountain Guide"? i also like "Adventurer" - perhaps Ridge Runner instead of Ridge Ranger?

Charlie Schuessler

This forum is civil and fun. Anything that adds to it while not being out of character won't hurt. As previously stated, I trust the first four titles are fine, however the higher count labels could be more creative. Sherpa or Croo-Boss may be more fitting for a moderator…

Greg

Staff member
How about:

Flatlander - 0-4 posts -
0_azpeak.gif

Trailie - 5-49 posts -
1_azpeak.gif

Treeliner - 50-99 posts -
2_azpeak.gif

Adventurer - 100-499 posts -
3_azpeak.gif

Summiteer - 500-999 posts -
4_azpeak.gif

Peakmaster - 1000+ posts -
5_azpeak.gif

Also, are the post count ranges appropriate based on the current/future activity?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
I would support flatlander 0-10. 10 messages are enough to label a troller who comes in , posts once makes 5 or 6 responses, then never comes back again.

How about Sherpa instead of Peakmaster? I now see Charlie posted a similar suggestion.

Another idea would be to make the titles similar to mountain names
Blue Job
Monadnock
Chocurua
Hale
Lincoln
Washington

Just a quick thought there

-Stephen