• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Carter Dome - Draft

Mike P.

Carter Dome on a cold blustery day

b]Date(s) Hiked:[/b] 02-03-2007

Trails(s) Hiked: 19 Mile, Carter Dome Trail to Carter Dome, Descend on Carter - Moriah ro Carter Notch, 19 Mile back to car

Total Distance: 10 miles 3400 feet

Difficulty: about a seven out of ten

Conditions: icy at the beginning, now it's not slick, a few inches of snow until above Zeta Pass, the Carter Dome trail has some pretty tough blowdowns & drifting snow, less broken out north of the summit now, from Carter Notch well broken

Special Required Equipment: Crampons were Very helpful, I wore mine for 80% of the trip, with all the traffic from Carter Notch they will be essential descending that way, Snowshoes would have been helpful above. Balaclava essential due to wind-chill advisory.

Trip Report: Wind on the drive up 16 to PNVC was whipping pretty good. Wind even blowing on 19 mile trail removing some of the new snow from the trees onto hikers, namely me. Fell in the first 50 feet on an icy spot that is there every winter.

Made it about 1.5 miles before I fell again & went to Crampons.

Sky became partly cloudy so it went from dark gray to cobalt blue. Did not see anyone until I almost reached the top when I met the only group that stayed in Carter Notch Hut Friday Night. They were wearing snowshoes & doing a better job breaking trail than I was in my crampons.. I warned them about the blowdowns & when they said there were no downed trees from the top to the Notch I decided I was going down that way!
Came across several a couple of groups on the Carter-Moriah trail going up Carter Dome & then back to Carter Notch to spend the night at the Hut. Met several others while I descended 19 Mile, most were heading to the hut but a couple were just out for a snowshoe trip as far as the Notch. Started just after 8:30 & got back to the car just before 4:00.

Last edited: