• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trying to move to VT or NH and could use some advice

kpace

I know this has nothing to do with weather but I thought I would give it a shot anyway.

My name is Kirk, 29, ohio res.
I have Traveled and lived all over the country since I was in my late teens. Just finished me Geolgy degree about 3 weeks ago and decided the the east coast is way better then the west 😀.
I figured that sense we are all skiers and share the same passion for adventure, i would see if anyone knows of any available jobs in geology, conservation, forestry, or similar field??
Please shoot me a MSG if you know of any opening or have any advice ! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kpace

Very very very true haha
Just utilizing all my resources in hopes to stumble on to something. I have always had great luck with finding jobs and stuff within the climbing and skiing community

deadheadskier

Staff member
Misc. Forum seems appropriate. Welcome to the forums Kirk and good luck.

PS> You don't need to make four of the exact same threads in various sub-forums. ;) 1 thread on the topic works just fine. :thumbup:

kpace

I know a ton of people out west. Lived in Colorado for a while and in sequoia national park.
Out east I lived out of a tent in old forge for about 6 months when I was 20 but that's it. Trying to net work as much as possible.
Figured meet some fellow skiers and mb stumble on someone in the industry that may have an inside scoop

kpace

I have no clue how this forum stuff works haha
My apologize, I didn't realize it would repost or show up on the main timeline. I may only be rounding 30 but I am terrible with this kind of stuff

deadheadskier

Staff member
Its cool man. Its a great site for ski networking and I'm sure that has lead to professional connections as well.

WoodCore

Not much to offer here........but if moving to New England just remember that the term "chowdah" can both describe a distinct snow surface and/or a seafood based soup.

:snow:

kpace

Thanks for the heads up woodcore!

Savemeasammy

I know of a young guy around here in NH who has his degree in geology. He works at a lumberyard...

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Angus

There are many, many environmental science cos. in boston area that employ geologist on remediation, construction, surveying projects. You could probably look at some of the gas pipeline cos too that have projects in the works - they may outsource. Not familiar with this industries hiring. Army Corp of Engineers probably another place too. If you like outdoors, maybe some of the big timber cos. Economy is s. new england SNE states much more robust than NNE.

yeggous

My graduate degree is in geology and I work for an environmental company in the Boston area. We specialize in weather and climate related products and services. Right now we are looking for junior level scientific programmers and software engineers. If you (or anyone else) has decent coding skills and is interested, please reach out.

kpace

Yeggous
Thanks for the heads up !
Unfortunately I don't know anyone that's good at code.
But if I do stumble across someone along my travels / job search, I will send them your way.

kpace

I really appreciate all of the input guys !

Dmiller27

I grew up in Lafayette Indiana, and spent some time in Athens Ohio, I also spent about 5 years doing seasonal work at resorts around the country. It was a great way to see the good ole USA! Thank you Deadhead for giving me the nudge!

For me the Boston area is perfect. You have a international airport that can get you pretty much any where you want to go that is only 3.5 miles from downtown. You can be in NH/ME in about forty five mins to a hour. Skiing at a minimum of about hour and forty five minutes, the good stuff is a minimum of two and a half. During the summer you can be on many different beaches very quickly.

The only cons about living in the New England area, are 1. The Pats!, 2. The cost of living can be really expensive depending on where you end up, but the pay tends to be higher than most places, along with more opportunities for amazing companies.

Just kidding about the Pats part, the fans out here are bonkers about the sports teams and are easily riled.

kpace

I have heard nothing but good things about Boston.
I also know there are a lot of job opportunities for what I do.

My only turn off is the 2.5hr drive to good skiing haha

Everywhere that I have moved to in the past 10 years was dictated by how far I have to drive for fun.
Sequoia national park CA- walk out the back door
LongBeach CA-a perfect left across the street
Old forge NY- mackenzie pond boulders, 20mins, and countless faces everywhere in between.
Canyon city CO- amazing climbing , skiing, and whitewater near by or within an hour.

It has been tough for me because I am more of a lifestyle kind of person.
Surfing, skiing, climbing, etc are a lifestyle I love to live. But when I live to far away from things intend to get all depressed hahha

We can't always get what we want, but I'm going to put in some over time to make sure I'm in an area where skiing is close, or surfing is close, and climbing should be anywhere I move to.

kpace

A forestry, conservation, or consulting job should be feasible to find in a good location. Just need to turn and burn!