• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trying to move to VT or NH and could use some advice

deadheadskier

Staff member
What is your opinion of bad ??
I lived in Cleveland for a while and I considered that to be ok. You had to avoid a lot of areas and be very careful at night. But as long as you weren't stupid you would be ok.

Barre is Beverly Hills compared to Cleveland. Barre is a poorer community with some drug issues, but certainly no violent crime to speak of. The occasional gas station hold up, but no muggings or anything of that sort. Same goes for Rutland.

There isn't a single town anywhere in Vermont that you need to worry about walking around in late at night. There really aren't any dangerous neighborhoods you need to worry about in New Hampshire or Maine either to be honest. Maybe some areas of Manchester and Nashua, but not really.

If you want an affordable town within an hour of good skiing, you also will need to be flexible and accept that you might also need to drive an hour for work everyday too. So, with Barre, you'd probably have to drive to Burlington, VT or the Lebanon area of New Hampshire. Manchester, NH might be your spot. Barre is closer to better skiing, but Manchester is an hour and fifteen or less to some very good mountains. Manchester would offer a much better employment picture for you due to it's proximity to Boston and many of it's suburban communities that have the type of companies in your field.

Savemeasammy

Can you guys think of anywhere with an affordable living cost and close to good skiing ? Like within an hour

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

The "Upper Valley": Lebanon, Hanover, NH and White River Jct., VT and the surrounding area. I'm not sure what your geology degree will do for you around there, but Dartmouth College and Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center really drive the economy. There are a number of high-tech employers in Lebanon, and you can find affordable housing in the outlying towns. Killington is an hour away, and places like Sugarbush and Stowe are about 1.5.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

kpace

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for giving me some ideas on places to live.
I am hoping to here back from an international environmental company that's based out of Burlington.

Are there any affordable towns in that area and how much would every one think is a good salary for that area?
I don't want to be scrapping by and it would be great to be able to afford to ski haha

deadheadskier

Staff member
North of the city is cheaper than South generally speaking. Salary depends on your personal standards. I couldn't answer that for you

kpace

Just wasn't sure what is realistic for decent living conditions.
When I lived in Longbeach if you made under 45000 you were hurting.
I hope to be well above that but I also no the area is expensive.

bigbog

$.01...
Your skillset(expertise and the more & latest tools you can use(computer software, ability to write/debug programs, network knowledge, database management...etc) and then get experience. Not only won't hurt while in the field, but where companies/organizations are less endowed financially(ie in more remote areas of your industry), you will be an asset in being able to do the work of multiple people = a salary of multiple people(sometimes!);-), but you'll definitely have an edge up on any company/org when it comes time to talk salary...ANYWHERE you choose to go.

Last edited:

kpace

I'm not really asking about jobs though. It has more to deal with living cost and expectations.
Rent in ohio is $600 for a nice place vs $1400 in long beach. hence why you would need to make more in California then you would in ohio to live with the same standard. Just trying to figure out what a comfortable income is, so when job searching I can look at areas to live based on the offer the give me.
I appreciate the response! Just not quite the answer I was looking for.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I were young, single and looking to move to Burlington I wouldn't do it for less than a $55k salary. That would be the absolute bottom for me knowing the cost of living there.

kpace

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm about to round 30 here in a few months so I would like something fairly nice. If I do end up getting the job ( which I should no this week) I will live I a smaller town that's a bit less if a party and cheaper living .
Thanks for the thought