• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Craig's List scammer

mriceyman

I buy stuff on cl all the time. We only deal with cash face to face. And equipment we buy we make sure it works before handing over any money

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

buellski

I've had a lot of success buying and selling on craigslist. Especially with things like dirt bikes. I think the key for me is I only deal locally (New England) and I only accept cash for what I'm selling.

Funny story, the last dirt bike I sold, the guy showed up with less cash then what I was asking. The bike was mint and he wanted it so bad he ended up borrowing a few hundred bucks from his buddy that he rode up with. :)

bvibert

Staff member
Funny story, the last dirt bike I sold, the guy showed up with less cash then what I was asking. The bike was mint and he wanted it so bad he ended up borrowing a few hundred bucks from his buddy that he rode up with. :)

Sounds like a classic ploy to attempt to talk you down to a lower price. Chances are the few hundred he 'borrowed' from his buddy was his to begin with.

gmcunni

i had a guy buy skis from me. i don't remember exactly but say it was $50, he gave me $3 or $4 in change that he had to go back out to his car to get.

mriceyman

Sounds like a classic ploy to attempt to talk you down to a lower price. Chances are the few hundred he 'borrowed' from his buddy was his to begin with.

Not gonna lie but i do this on occasion.. Id say works 50/50

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

That's cool. You must have some awesome stories!

I wish I could say that I worked on some seriously awesome shit like the folks that did the work on the marathon bombing or the case against that former Patriots player but I cant. Maybe someday but it's amazing to watch what some of these guys can do.

Savemeasammy

I listed a set of used snow tires on CL. I set them at a very fair price. Some guy called and wanted to come look at them - he was coming from an hour or so away. When he showed up, he was making a show of scrutinizing the tires and making comments about how there was less tread than he expected... Then came his lowball offer. I apologized that he drove so far, and closed the door and went back inside. I sold the tires probably a week or 2 later to someone who recognized a good deal, and gave me what I was asking...

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app