• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New England Conditions Roundup for vacation week

Smellytele

Pats Peak will be the for Ride and Ski event which I will be helping with. Heard they have things in good shape there - then again they have great snow making and it is a smaller mountain.

Skied at Pats yesterday and It was okay. Big piles of snow on Twister. FIS skier well at first but got scraped off late in the day. When I drove by today they were blowing on Hurricane which had been skiing well before the freeze up. It was closed yesterday due to the freeze. The blues off the top - Duster and East wind had good coverage. Cyclone had great snow at the top but half way down had some real scrapped off parts. I may be there tomorrow but not sure now that it is the Ride and Ski card day. There has been no real crowds any of the times I have been. Maybe a 5 minute wait around noon:30 at the peak double yesterday that has been about it.

dlague

Skied at Pats yesterday and It was okay. Big piles of snow on Twister. FIS skier well at first but got scraped off late in the day. When I drove by today they were blowing on Hurricane which had been skiing well before the freeze up. It was closed yesterday due to the freeze. The blues off the top - Duster and East wind had good coverage. Cyclone had great snow at the top but half way down had some real scrapped off parts. I may be there tomorrow but not sure now that it is the Ride and Ski card day. There has been no real crowds any of the times I have been. Maybe a 5 minute wait around noon:30 at the peak double yesterday that has been about it.

Thanks for the info! If you do decide to go PM me!

Savemeasammy

My wife took my 7 year old to Sunapee today. She said the line for the summit quad was a half hour - ugh. The sun bowl quad didn't spin until 1:45ish (don't know why). The lines over there were much shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4aprice

Interesting that along with the tough conditions there seems to be a lacking of TR's as well (outside of that poor Cannon girl's saga). Wondering if that's indicating that like me some of us have been sitting on the sidelines this week. I usually ski during the holiday season, but last Saturday was some of the worst conditions I've skied in a long time. We have had some good snow making weather and I'm going out this weekend (hopefully before and maybe after the rain) but I'm definitely off to a slow start (only @ 6). Hopefully Jan, Feb and March kick it into high gear.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Jersey Skier

Spent the last week up at Stowe. Thanks for snowmaking. Combination of mounds of manmade snow, moguls and plenty of scraped off trails. Obviously could have been better, but could have been much worse if not for all the snowmaking. Some trails were crowded, but lift lines weren't bad at all. On the coldest days we skied the gondola and waited maybe 5 minutes. Could ski right on to the double and triple.

Cheese

Props to Cheese though. Dudes got massive ones. Still flying down the hill without care of the ice.

Glad I hooked up with you guys for some turns and look forward to a bunch more on a better day. Thanks to Puck It for not sharing his photos of the conditions at Cannon before Christmas. I skied Bretton Woods Friday which was better but still required consciously setting an edge on every turn. All these resorts have a lot of snow to make before they'll be in the condition most visitors expect.

I wonder how Cannon is looking with the 3-4 inches of snow that fell last night.

Can't speak directly for Cannon but the 4" at Bretton Woods was dry and light so didn't offer much help. It would have been hero snow if it were on top of frozen corduroy but since it was on ice, hardpack and refreeze it was almost more dangerous than good. By the end of the day there was probably 6" on the ground which was enough to float if you charged it but that's not something easily done on the flat trails of Bretton Woods. It probably groomed up fairly nice for today but unfortunately I didn't return.

Last edited:

Puck it

Glad I hooked up with you guys for some turns and look forward to a bunch more on a better day. Thanks to Puck It for not sharing his photos of the conditions at Cannon before Christmas. I skied Bretton Woods Friday which was better but still required consciously setting an edge on every turn. All these resorts have a lot of snow to make before they'll be in the condition most visitors expect.

Can't speak directly for Cannon but the 4" at Bretton Woods was dry and light so didn't offer much help. It would have been hero snow if it were on top of frozen corduroy but since it was on ice, hardpack and refreeze it was almost more dangerous than good. By the end of the day there was probably 6" on the ground which was enough to float if you charged it but that's not something easily done on the flat trails of Bretton Woods. It probably groomed up fairly nice for today but unfortunately I didn't return.

Sorry we we only took a couple runs, but things were better in the pub. Give a shout when you things are good and you are thinking about Cannon.

bootladder

I skied Canon on 1/2 and 1/3. The "snow" was not too bad. Firm, but edgeable hard stuff, some firm manmade (packed and fresh) and a few traces of natural soft stuff. The trail selection was limited, relative to 12/20 and 2/22 - which were awesome days.

It is snowing and blowing in Sugar Hill Saturday night (1/3). Looks nice, but not much accumulation thus far. Snow light is on, snow dance starts soon.

snow light.jpg

abc

Interesting that along with the tough conditions there seems to be a lacking of TR's as well. Wondering if that's indicating that like me some of us have been sitting on the sidelines this week.
Guilty as charged. I was tempted on New Years day. But I couldn't find any discount to make the lift ticket price to fit my wallet.

With the holiday, discounts are hard to come by. I think a lot of people are reluctant to pay full, non-discounted lift ticket price to sit in the bar.

Tin

Any word from Crotched? Looking on the cam they look to have some accumulation near the base. Not enough people there for Midnight Madness to track it up.

SkiFanE

Sunday River is blowing lots. Follow the guns. Otherwise it's scraped off middle with sugar on sides. What you'd expect. But they covered ecstacy 4-5 days ago and the snow is still nice - so just figure out which trails have been covers this week and it's pretty good. Wildfire was snowblown bumpy goodness today. Crossing fingers for tomorrow's weather.

Smellytele

Any word from Crotched? Looking on the cam they look to have some accumulation near the base. Not enough people there for Midnight Madness to track it up.

Here in Henniker near Pats It has been snowing since 6pm. Still snowing about 21 deg with 2-3 inches on the ground. the snow is not wet, very dry but is more frozen than fluffy falling from the sky. It hits with a noise.

Quietman

Still snow/sleet mix at 11:45pm in Peterborough. 3" so far and anything else with only be building the base, not adding to it. May try to get up there for a few runs after the liquid precip stops tomorrow.