• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Update on missing posts

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Looks like it happened again today.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Where?

So the reboot yesterday morning that borked everything up. Without being too technical, our hosting co. moved the entire server to a new machine. So there might have been a "blip" during that transition.

bvibert

Staff member
From what I can tell we lost all the posts made since this morning at some point this afternoon.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This might have just been crappy timing. They copied and moved the server this morning (it's a virtual machine) to a new host machine. I'm guessing since the reboot the old machine was still unstable.

Here is the email I got from them at 2PM today

Due to the recent repeated issues your old hardware node has been experiencing we had no choice but to move the accounts off it immediately.

The migration of your VPS is completed to the new hardware node and the traffic is forwarded from the old VPS to the new one.

I have confirmed the operation of a few of your websites.

Hopefully this is the end of the drama. At least, as it relates to server issues.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
my host is not cheap. I'm going to start seeing what other options I have. It's been a few years since I've looked at the hosting market. But these guys just aren't that great.

drjeff

Where?

So the reboot yesterday morning that borked everything up. Without being too technical, our hosting co. moved the entire server to a new machine. So there might have been a "blip" during that transition.

My Stratton trip report posted Sunday evening got deleted - now AZ'ers will think that I only ski Mount Snow or something! ;)

gmcunni

my host is not cheap. I'm going to start seeing what other options I have. It's been a few years since I've looked at the hosting market. But these guys just aren't that great.

i have an old laptop you can have. screen doesn't work but you can hook up an external monitor. the monitor would make it more like a server anyway.

gmcunni

not that it matters but i think the disappearing posts also reduce people's post count.. next giveway i want 652 extra chances, i think i've had a lot of posts this week.