• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Oil Heat

Glenn

I should clarify...raised ranch, stove is on the lower level. That room is mid 70s...main level is in the mid 60's...end rooms low 60's.

darent

Those of you in Mass with leaky houses really should give MassSave a call http://www.masssave.com/. They come in and do a free energy audit, put in cfls everywhere for no cost, and then give you huge discounts on insulation, windows, etc ...
be careful with the huge discount for insulation, we had our first floor insulated, open joist in basement for a great price. only thing was they didn't use encapsulated fiberglass batts, now I have a basement with exposed fiberglass insulation that I now have to cover up.

Glenn

Check those discount prices first. My brother inlaw had someone estimate insulating his attic for $1,200. He had an energy audit done. They said it's normally $2,400 to insulate an attic their size, but they'll do it for $1,200. Know your prices ahead of time. I have a feeling these audits are a way for these contractors to get a foot in the door.

Abominable

New (to me) old house, 1800 sq ft, no one home all day, hats and sweaters when we are, oil with steam heat and baseboard radiator in one zone (small addition). Supplemented with a little portable electric heater - easier to turn on for two hours at night when we're in the TV room (addition). Oil also providing hot water.

So far about / slightly less than 100 gals per month. Definitely need to do some work on insulation, sealing up the basement, etc. But happily surprised as the PO spent more than 4K (two older folks, not working, home all day, oil $1 pg costlier) and I'd budgeted for that. So if I can get through the winter for 1K - 1.5K I'll take it.

Going woodstove shopping in spring.

wa-loaf

Dug out a path for my oilman!
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1422989241.025107.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app