• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bromley vs Stratton vs Magic ... You have to choose

slatham

The real vert of Red is over 1500 but not 1700 (or even 1600). Many areas either inflate vert (in Magic's case it was previous ownership and has never been changed) or they have vertical that is not really skiable (Stratton claims 2000 but Gondi only 1750. Mt Snow says 1700, but Blue Bird is 1500.

In my book total vert is not nearly as important as the vert of specific lifts/pods. For instance, at Stratton the relevant vert is URSA or Snowbowl at 1350. Mt Snow, really, is North face which is 1100 (but even if the relevant lift is Bluebird its still only 1500). Even at Sugarbush, is the full 2400 of Lincoln peak what I want, with the run out? No, its Bravo or Heavens Gate or CastleRock.

That is one reason why I skiing Mountains like Magic and Bromley (1380) - the relevant vert is enough even if the total is less than the larger resorts.

RUSTY, I agree Magic has a lot to offer even with limited snow, but they are doing a terrible job of letting people know what is going on, even with the big MLK weekend coming up. No alpine update since 12/4, snow report lacking and never a mid week preview, and facebook lacking. I love the place but the lack of info is frustrating!

Lastly - the comments made on this thread were pretty much spot on. Impressive honesty and knowledge on the board.

x10003q

You can get around 1925 vertical feet (lift served by 2 6packs) at Stratton when you ski from the top down to the Sun Bowl base area.

Magic's terrain is awesome. The problem is snow. With a base at around 1400 ft it just does not get the natural snow that Bromley gets with a 2000 ft base or Stratton gets with a 2100 ft main base. If there is no natural snow, Magic cannot match the Bromley or Stratton snowmaking firepower. Today Magic is reporting 10/43 trails, Bromley is reporting 43/46 and Stratton is reporting 85/97.

The comments in the thread reflect the differences.

bdfreetuna

I like Bromley better than Stratton but I'd do 1 day at Bromley 2 at Stratton for your family. Magic leaves most terrain ungroomed its better for experts.

If there is a lot of snow I would do 1 day at Magic though. It's cheaper also. Def my fav in Southern VT, and there are enough easier trails that the beginners can entertain themselves on Day 3 when they are probably tired anyway.

Last edited:

jrmagic

I like Bromley better than Stratton but I'd do 1 day at Bromley 2 at Stratton for your family. Magic leaves most terrain ungroomed its better for experts.

If there is a lot of snow I would do 1 day at Magic though. It's cheaper also. Def my fav in Southern VT, and there are enough easier trails that the beginners can entertain themselves on Day 3 when they are probably tired anyway.

Saying Magic is better for experts is worse than saying it's only good with fresh snow. There are several nice cruisers to keep even the occasional skier happy. It's really just rank beginners that suffer.

bdfreetuna

Magic is obviously better for experts. Yes beginners will find something to ski, and there cruisers are great too, but the majority of the mountain tends to be either steep, ungroomed, or otherwise technical.

I also like it about 3 days after fresh snow. I prefer to follow a groove through the woods than bust through deep stuff with 80mm underfoot.

Don't worry jrmagic if any advanced skier asked where to go I'd recommend Magic in a heartbeat (assuming they had any terrain open)

I'd also say Bromley has the best beginner terrain because they have 2 lifts which cover reasonably sized pods of terrain that are mainly green circles, so it gives real beginners some variety. (plus option of a green route down from top)

Stratton is best for intermediates who will increase their confidence by skiing all their easy blacks.

fluid164

Awesome thread! Nothing like a comparison to bring out the passion... The Magic lovers definitely win for passion. Bromley appears to the obvious choice for my crew....but have to try Magic if the small ones stay home one day. Sold!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

MMP

One comment about the skiing experience. I enjoy riding the single at Mad. I love Red at magic. Something about the pace of a ski day that has a more relaxed atmosphere that you only get a few places. When I ski Stratton or Killington I am constantly looking over my shoulder and checking blind spots. A kid we know got skied into the woods and broke his femur at Stratton. I attribute this to massive uphill capacity that results in crowded slopes. Even when magic is wide open and has a lift line, the hill is uncrowded.

While magic has fewer open trails, I maintain that the experience is still better than a couple hundred more vert, a fast lift, and waffles.

Skiing magic today! Can't wait.

JoeB-Z

Awesome thread! Nothing like a comparison to bring out the passion... The Magic lovers definitely win for passion. Bromley appears to the obvious choice for my crew....but have to try Magic if the small ones stay home one day. Sold!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Make that a day a Thursday and you are skiing for $20.

Magic was making whales of snow on upper Trick today and I was told they had started on the west side. Plenty of trails open today. No lines whatsoever.

steamboat1

You should have seen the whales on Superstar at K when I skied there Thurs. The whales were substantially higher than the height of the chairfor almost the whole length of the chair except at the bottom where the chair is higher. They're going to need to extend the arms on the snowmaking towers since the whales were just about as high as the towers. There are a couple of pictures on KZone of them. They've since groomed them out.

jrmagic

Back in the day I was a K pass holder and remember how ridiculous the piles were. We don't have that kind of firepower or budget but I can say the base went from a few inches on upper trick to a few feet. Its skiing incredible well today

gmcunni

Back in the day I was a K pass holder and remember how ridiculous the piles were. We don't have that kind of firepower or budget but I can say the base went from a few inches on upper trick to a few feet. It skiing incredible well today

JR rain today? forecast for tonight?

steamboat1

Back in the day I was a K pass holder and remember how ridiculous the piles were. We don't have that kind of firepower or budget but I can say the base went from a few inches on upper trick to a few feet. It skiing incredible well today
Sorry we didn't get to talk at the MRAC meeting the other day. Thanks for your support on the council. What you said did have an influence on the decision I think.

Enjoy your day on the slopes.

jrmagic

Sorry we didn't get to talk at the MRAC meeting the other day. Thanks for your support on the council. What you said did have an influence on the decision I think.

Enjoy your day on the slopes.

IMO it was the right thing to do which is how I always try to vote regardless of the oft uniformed emotional feelings of the public at large. Don't want to derail a ski site with fisheries management discussions so I will say I just came off the mountain and had an awesome day. The rain got a little steadier which ducked but it skied great. My the last couple of runs it had turned back to snow at the top and was working it's way down. It's still non-frozem at the base but you can feel the chill in the air so I suspect by dinner time it will be snowing down here too and we may get a a few by the time the lifts spin tomorrow.

steamboat1

IMO it was the right thing to do which is how I always try to vote regardless of the oft uniformed emotional feelings of the public at large. Don't want to derail a ski site with fisheries management discussions
Why? These guys have as much of a clue of what's going on in fisheries management as most that hang on the fishing sites..:-D