• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Internet Creepiness

dlague

Last night, our washing machine was no longer agitating properly. So this morning on my phone, I looked up a video on Youtube to see how to fix it. I watched one video. Later today, looking at a skiing video at work on my laptop - the video ends and what shows up as a recommended video - how to fix your washer! I never looked up that topic on my laptop. The video was exactly about the dogs that lock in to create agitation.

In addition, I never logged into Youtube. I do not allow cookies on my laptop, so apparently they are associating the devices to me. Kind of pissed me off!

Anyone else have such an experience?

SkiFanE

Last night, our washing machine was no longer agitating properly. So this morning on my phone, I looked up a video on Youtube to see how to fix it. I watched one video. Later today, looking at a skiing video at work on my laptop - the video ends and what shows up as a recommended video - how to fix your washer! I never looked up that topic on my laptop. The video was exactly about the dogs that lock in to create agitation.

In addition, I never logged into Youtube. I do not allow cookies on my laptop, so apparently they are associating the devices to me. Kind of pissed me off!

You cannot hide. You have accounts all over that you open on both your phone and laptop? You are doomed. I have very few accounts, very few apps, don't use Mail app on phone and only open things in my phone's browser. I've been pretty safe because I stay as anonymous as possible. But I'm still not convinced when you kill cookies and history you really are. If so..how can some things 'stick'? Yet sometimes they do.

skiNEwhere

Do you have a gmail account? It may remember your browsing history.

I remember on facebook a while back someone that I knew showed up as a suggested friend, and we had no mutual friends. I then remembered I had his phone number in my contact list, and Facebook mobile had access to my contacts, so it probably searched automatically by phone number and found a hit.

There has to be a common factor between phone and work. I'm betting it's your email

YouTube is owned and operated by Google btw

freeski

No longer on facebook, but when I first signed up one of my suggested friends was the mother of a close friend. I had sent her one email two years earlier to RSVP an event. Never heard of connecting devices like that. Yes, all of this is getting very creepy.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

What's really creepy is that Pink To to and those pumps your wearing...and that wallpaper.Yikes
cover up that camera!