• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best option for Sunday 1/18

Bene288

Haven't had any time to get out this year, looking to ski tomorrow but can't make heads or tails of the weather or what the crowds will be. I'm in the Boston area, was thinking Cannon but the shorter drive to Wachusett sounds appealing. What do you guys think?

bdfreetuna

Check out Bolton Valley their conditions look absolutely stellar right now.

edit: that might be a haul for you right now. I'd recommend just waking up early and getting there.

prsboogie

I have to be at Wawa because of my kids lessons, if it wasn't for that I wouldn't be anywhere near there!!

Bene288

Lots of choices for sure. Trying to get into the groove of Boston area skiing. I was spoiled in Albany with the proximity to the Daks, Cats and Southern/central VT. Lots of options under 2 hours. Unfortunately 4 hours is a little too much for a day trip tomorrow.

medfordmike

I would go for Cannon because of the terrain but your looking at another hour plus to get there depending on where you are in Boston. Wachusett will be busy but not necessarily worse than a normal weekend (although that is not saying much). It is a day trip oriented place and since it lacks condos etc. I never found its crowds to be worse on most holiday weekends vs. normal in season weekends (the actual weekday holiday itself will be a different story). Wachusett doesn't get a lot of love but I was a season pass holder there for the past few years and for what they are and where they are they do a good job. You could split the time difference and hit Crotched. About 1.5 hours from Boston and I never experienced crazy crowds. It is similar to Wachusett in feel and size just a lot less crowded.

bdfreetuna

As much as I love Berkshire East... I'm sure you can find better conditions with the same drive or less in NH. My impression is that central VT has the best conditions right now but if you don't mind machine groomed there's lots of options in Central NH. Maybe Cannon is doing good right now; I don't head up there much, don't pay that much attention to the area.

xlr8r

I am in the same predicament on whether tomorrow is worth skiing at all. I was planning on going to Crotched as I have a ticket to use there, but I don't want to waste it if its just going to be a washout. Any ideas on how bad the rain will be tomorrow in S. NH.

Bene288

I am in the same predicament on whether tomorrow is worth skiing at all. I was planning on going to Crotched as I have a ticket to use there, but I don't want to waste it if its just going to be a washout. Any ideas on how bad the rain will be tomorrow in S. NH.

That's part of my problem. I'm hearing mix precip in the Whites tomorrow but mostly afternoon. Then I heard rain before noon. Doesn't seem like anyone know what's going to happen.

JDMRoma

Cannon skied really good today, no crowds at all !! Stands a better chance of not getting liquid precip with its elevation. Precip not starting till late afternoon/pm if you can believe the reports !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Bene288

Cannon skied really good today, no crowds at all !! Stands a better chance of not getting liquid precip with its elevation. Precip not starting till late afternoon/pm if you can believe the reports !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thanks for the report. I'm leaning toward Cannon anyway. I loved the vibe of the place, reminds me of Gore which I miss incredibly.

xlr8r

Ended up sitting out today, two weekends in a row now without skiing

xwhaler

Pouring freezing rain here at Pats Peak, 30 degree rain. Jackets, goggles, etc a sheet of ice