• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Race skis

mishka

race slalom skis have speckt characteristics (not the ski dimensions) to make them better rail hard pack. Same characteristics can be incorporated into all mountain skis.

My skinniest ski is a 110 but i was just recently reflecting on how much I enjoyed railing turns on a slalom ski. I may pick up a pair soon, Definitely before next season. Also some dedicated bump skis. Mishka could make good bump skis I bet.

Yes I can. Wait a minute I already did MR87.:thumbup: 87s slightly wider of your classic mogul skis and can rail hard pack just like slalom skis without a race ski weight
all you need to do come back here in time to try them

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/132876-mogul-skis?highlight=mogul+skis

Warp Daddy

Im still using my Atomic SX10's these are like friggen GINSU knives on this hardpack , icepack crap at 65 mm underfoot just tip em and you better be aggressive , no loafing .

these babys want to run . at 17 radius they are solid as hell on edge and really hold on the icepack ,hardpack and nasty ass crud

Hawkshot99

Once you ski a real race ski, you realize they are something special. A lot of work, but so powerful and rewarding for hooligan skiing.
I enjoy a SL ski for a few runs, but I am much happier with big GS turns. I love my GS race skis. When others are complaining about ice they slice right in like nothing is there.

Brad J

I had two different sets of omeglass equipes at different times but older models than what you're talking about. Loved those skis.

Pretty much all I buy are Dynastar skis. Now skiing on Outland 80XT

I had a pair of those for about 6 weeks as the bumps of Outer Limits in the early 80's eat them up and squirted the metal edges under the boot apart, so much for foam core skis
As of modern SL skis , I use mine early season to get into ski shape ,and get off those nervous,demanding, punishing skis for something more civilized, a GS style ski

SkiFanE

Once you ski a real race ski, you realize they are something special. A lot of work, but so powerful and rewarding for hooligan skiing.
I enjoy a SL ski for a few runs, but I am much happier with big GS turns. I love my GS race skis. When others are complaining about ice they slice right in like nothing is there.

I don't think my SL's are alot of work at all. I guess if "being on top" of them is hard work, then I guess it is lol. I know how to work them, and maybe I'm always on edge of fright, so never like to ski unless I'm literally able to be on top of them. I'll stop if my legs are weak, won't let up on my skis and let them just go...then yeah...could be trouble. But I love being on them and just knowing they will perform. My previous all mountain skis were much harder to get to do what I like (zipper through bumps lol).

Hawkshot99

I don't think my SL's are alot of work at all. I guess if "being on top" of them is hard work, then I guess it is lol. I know how to work them, and maybe I'm always on edge of fright, so never like to ski unless I'm literally able to be on top of them. I'll stop if my legs are weak, won't let up on my skis and let them just go...then yeah...could be trouble. But I love being on them and just knowing they will perform. My previous all mountain skis were much harder to get to do what I like (zipper through bumps lol).

Maybe I worded it wrong...On a regular ski I can be lazy and just cruise on them. Whether I am tired, or just cruising with a lower level friend or something they dont mind. When on a race ski, I find that they are not happy going slow. They dont respond as well, and require you to stay on top of them more than a softer All-Mtn ski.

Madroch

Love my volkl GS (r>27) but only on an empty wide open slope- they kind of scare the hell out of me- but exhilarating when I actually manage to flex Em- the energy is something. Ski em from 8-9 in the am at local hill before the masses arrive between 9 and 10.

Last edited:

BBMF

+2 for the older Equipes

Amazing I survived these skis... very fast

x10003q

I swapped my Nordica Fire Arrow 80 with my son's Nordica SL for a few runs last weekend. I felt SLs sucking the life out of my legs with every turn. He has already snatched my 2012 Fischer GS race stock 27m I lucked into. They were my ice/hard conditions ski until I got the Fire Arrows.

I used to have a pair of 207 Gold Dynastar SL chicken hearts. They were wonderful. Unfortunately, I broke them and Dynastar replaced them with the white version of the chicken hearts - that sucked. I eventually switched into a 210 Dynamic VR27 Geant that I grew to love. With younger legs and no responsibilities I still never found the top end of the VR27s.