• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let down by my favorite NE Resort.

deadheadskier

Staff member
tmcc71, I can assure you that your thread was not deleted because of Sugarloaf being the "golden child" on this forum. We had a massive data outage, which has been discussed in several threads in the announcement forum

http://forums.alpinezone.com/forumdisplay.php/11-Site-Feedback-and-Help-Forum

I love Sugarloaf, but agree that it's a really tough place to catch when everything is working well. Much of that really is weather dependent, but I also hear you on lift issues. I've been there on a weekend with the Superquad down for maintenance issues and it really is a bummer. When I was a Boyne pass holder as a Portland resident, I skied Sunday River 4 times for every 1 visit to Sugarloaf and I like the terrain at Sugarloaf MUCH better. There is something to be said for having reliable conditions. Sunday River has made their name on that promise.

skiMEbike

Sugarloaf was at the least a bit deceptive with their announced conditions and terrain offerings monday.

Isn't this the norm with all the ski areas (not saying I agree with it)? The ski report is published more as a marketing tool to draw customers, rather than a reality report of what the conditions truly are. Also, at the time of day this report gets published I believe there are some unknowns based on what patrol has been able to check out & how the conditions will change throughout the day.

I was at SRiver on this same day...they had reported close to 90 trails open, however probably a good 1/3 of those never opened. I had a good idea on what to expect based on the grooming report & weather forecast, so expectations were low.

Another sugar fail example. They are slipping. I'm a passholder, but only go in spring due to their exposure to wind, and lately, poor lift maintenance. It's not all weather related folks

I guess I disagree....IMO, these two specific examples (New Years rain/icing event & MLK day) were weather related.

Planning to ski at SL (and all of Maine) in January is a dice-y decision. Period. You never know what you're gonna get. I pretty much assume January will suck (honestly..it does every year...our memories are just bad) so any day that doesn't is a bonus.

+1000...That's the moral of the story.

xwhaler

Showing trails as open that are actually closed doesn't bother me as much as showing lifts open that aren't.

ironhippy

my local hill said they had a number of trails newly opened Saturday morning according to their trail report on their website and facebook.

I showed up early, expecting to hit the new trails, they didn't end up opening up until 2 in the afternoon.

I can't say I agree with it, but it does seem to be the norm.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
True story: 1997 Temple Mt. It was near the end of the season and about 1/3 of the mountain was open. However, the ski report said, "100% open."

I happened to see the owner/GM and asked him about the discrepancy. He assured me with a straight face saying, "100% of what's going to be open, is open!"

thetrailboss

Staff member
I had a sugarloaf fail thread from my new years eve disater there. For some reason my thread was deleted. Probably due to sugarloaf being the golden child on this forum for some reason or another. You're not alone in your disappointment of Sugarloaf this season, trust me. My weekend was broken lifts, wind-holds, icing......The place is just too dependent on wind mid season. Late season is great there, mid season, not so much. Mid season powder days...with no upper lifts spinning, nearly every time I go.

The database crashed, hence no thread.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

True story: 1997 Temple Mt. It was near the end of the season and about 1/3 of the mountain was open. However, the ski report said, "100% open."

I happened to see the owner/GM and asked him about the discrepancy. He assured me with a straight face saying, "100% of what's going to be open, is open!"

And now they no longer exist. Hmmmm.....

Domeskier

Talk about being let down by your favorite NE Resort - MLK weekend has come and gone and still no bumps at Sundown !! [/threadhijack]