• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing First - I ran over...

skiMEbike

a chipmunk while skiing yesterday. While I was skiing away from the condo yesterday, a chipmunk unexpectedly darted out in front of me from the edge of the woods. I tried avoiding it but ultimately I ran him over with one ski....The thing kept on trucking like nothing happened. Technically the chipmunk was downhill from me, so did I break the code by not yielding to downhill skiers/riders? OR Did the chipmunk not yield properly before merging onto the trail? OR Does the code not apply to animals?

mriceyman

Depends on how big an animal. Anything bigger than a squirrel im avoiding no doubt. Especially moose

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

I've had runs in with both a squirrel and a mouse over the years. The squirrel took a glancing blow and ran off after, the mouse didn't fair so well and literally was cut in 1/2! :eek: (I had some really sharp edges that day and hit him with all of my 225lbs in full on edge pressure mid turn on some hard snow at a high rate of speed - I thought that the mouse was just a piece of frozen dirty snow at first, until I saw it move just before impact)

SkiFanE

I ran over a morning dove on my road bike. Shot out from side of road - coudln't avoid it. Was my first time ever leading a pace-line ride and heard the thing was dead from those behind me - was told I did well not freaking and causing a pile up haha. Felt like running over a morning dove was some sort of sign from above that pace-line riding was not for me (and it's not)!

Abominable

Once upon a time I was flying down some relatively open glades out of bounds, open with small birch / beech trees perfect like slalom gates, so going at a good clip, and I'm cruising towards this one that is hanging over under the weight of something large and brown, and as I'm hauling right for it I'm thinking "strange place for a hornets nest out here like this in the middle of winter" and get within 15 feet and closing fast and holy moly it's a porcupine at face level. Hit the brakes so hard and just skidded out / sat on my rear end no more that 10 feet from a face-full of quills. That would have been a bad experience.

KevinF

I've hit a squirrel while skiing... I think the squirrel got a glancing blow from the ski's shovel because the squirrel just went flying. I didn't stop and look back to see if the squirrel survived or not...

I've run over a squirrel while on my bike; it somehow survived trying to run between my front and back tires. A chipmunk that tried to run in front of me and my bike didn't fare so well... as my then girlfriend put it, "perhaps you can try duct-taping the two halves back together".

skiMEbike

Once upon a time I was flying down some relatively open glades out of bounds, open with small birch / beech trees perfect like slalom gates, so going at a good clip, and I'm cruising towards this one that is hanging over under the weight of something large and brown, and as I'm hauling right for it I'm thinking "strange place for a hornets nest out here like this in the middle of winter" and get within 15 feet and closing fast and holy moly it's a porcupine at face level. Hit the brakes so hard and just skidded out / sat on my rear end no more that 10 feet from a face-full of quills. That would have been a bad experience.

The pricks you meet while skiing ;-)

bigbog

Can remember just spraying a bird with slush...meh.
Gave an early-spring partridge/grouse(?) a bit of a slarving-spray(~2' away) of slush ~6-7 yrs back. Hit a soft spot on a steeply pitched stretch off of a smaller mtn's(Farrar Mtn) backside that's nestled in the middle of the woods...~8mi north of WhiteCap Mtn...in area where billski once vacationed.

dlague

Have not run over anything yet, but have come close to hitting a weasel at Ragged coming down Exhibition last year. At first thought it was a squirrel. A couple of weeks ago while riding the six pack saw another on on the same trail.

Dickc

Came too near a red fox for comfort a few years back. Was skiing a traverse trail at Sunday River and came over a rise and there he is right in the middle. Playing with his fresh caught rabbit dinner. He caught sight of me in time, grabbed dinner and ran. I really was NOT going to challenge him for that dinner!